Newbi question Altimeter

The Bakkers

Well, if you are caching in the moutains, it could be helpful in telling you if you have to climb to get the cache.

How is it going to do that? :blink: I can see that it will tell you that you have to go X number of feet in Y direction, but that doesn't tell you that you have to climb, or drop.

Well, if you are caching in the moutains, it could be helpful in telling you if you have to climb to get the cache.

How is it going to do that? :blink: I can see that it will tell you that you have to go X number of feet in Y direction, but that doesn't tell you that you have to climb, or drop.

These handheld GPSs are also used by hikers, hunters and geocachers that use contour maps with the elevation given on them. We just came back from Reno in the northern part of California and the central part of Oregon. Nearly all of the caches we found also gave the elevation (altitude) of the cache. If you are doing urban or geocaching in Florida, the altimeter probably won't be needed. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

I suspect that the altimeter accuracy is worse than the coord accuracy. I once tried giving the altitude on a 243 foot staircase, but the accuracy was not good enough for that to help anyone.

You are so right about the accuracy. In one of our GPS Accuracy Games held at a Spring Fling we had a surveyor (also a geocacher) mark GZ and the altitude for us. We not only measured how far their flags were from GZ but also what their altimeter indicated. Over 50% of the participants were within 5 feet of GZ but the altimeter readings were all over the place. Even the Google map indication was 30 or 40 feet off. We up on on a hill just above sea-level where the Altimeters could be calibrated, however most did not bother. Dick, W7WT

These handheld GPSs are also used by hikers, hunters and geocachers that use contour maps with the elevation given on them. We just came back from Reno in the northern part of California and the central part of Oregon. Nearly all of the caches we found also gave the elevation (altitude) of the cache. If you are doing urban or geocaching in Florida, the altimeter probably won't be needed. Dick, W7WT

My GPSr has a topo map loaded on it but the altimeter reading has nothing to do with the mapping. Here in the Rockies I've yet to come across a cache where altitude information is useful in finding the hide. Not saying that there aren't some out there, just that I've not come across any. :rolleyes:

The problem with conventional altimeters is they are affected by barometric pressure and local barometric pressure can change on an hour-by-hour basis. For the altitude to be correct, the altimeter must be constantly adjusted to the current barometric pressure in the immediate area. Any pilot will be quite familiar with this phenomenon.

The exceptions are altimeter readings calculated electronically from the satellite constellation signals and it's also possible to extrapolate elevation data from map data in the mapping GPSr units. But the first exception is every bit as subject to the same inaccuracies as the lat-long data and I don't think any current GPSr units are actually using map data for altitude measurements.

I actually use elevation profiles fairly frequently when I'm planning a cache run. For example, if my route includes a 4000' elevation change, I'll have steak and eggs for breakfast instead of a bowl of cerial. :D But I do the research on my PC or netbook using mapping software. My Oregon has an altimeter in it and so does my Suunto Observer watch, but I've never needed either of those tools to find a cache.

Pete

I haven't used the altimeter yet while looking for a cache, but I like the information it provides while I'm driving up and down the logging roads and 4x4 trails around here. It's kind of nice to know just how high up we are while exploring these mountain lakes.

I calibrated it at the local airport and drove home to get the altitude at home. Then I can re-calibrate it each time, before I leave my driveway.

...Terry