Bottle caps

Yeah I'd agree that a regular old bottle cap in a cache would be considered trash by most.

I'd suggest someone could make a cache specifically for bottle caps if they were that interested. Also if it's the history behind bottle caps that moves them, they could make a TB with the goal of visiting bottling companies and/or breweries.

I've been looking for a place to drop off Out of Dusseldorf, just such a TB!

Thanks for sharing that. I think it's pretty cool. Reminds me of the chains of pop can tops and safety pins that kids used to thread into their backpacks around here. That TB is a much cooler version though :blink:

Who here really goes looking for a cache just in the interest of trading items out of it anyways? Maybe there is more than I would think but most are there to get the cache find and move onto the next.

Wait, we go look for caches? I thought we just stay online and bicker with each other.

I haven't seen a bottle cap cache, but I've found a wine cork cache a few months ago.

Who here really goes looking for a cache just in the interest of trading items out of it anyways? Maybe there is more than I would think but most are there to get the cache find and move onto the next.

Wait, we go look for caches? I thought we just stay online and bicker with each other.

I haven't seen a bottle cap cache, but I've found a wine cork cache a few months ago.

Yeah but I thought that started in the winter after cabin fever set in. :blink:

A used golf ball in a cache is junk left with no intention other than to leave junk.

Believe it or not, there are some people who like finding golf balls in caches. I believe the world calls them "golfers".

When I first started to cache and found golf balls as swag, I asked some of my friends that golf if they wanted me to save some for them. You'd think I'd asked them if I wanted to save my dog poop for them.

I haven't traded swag for years. But I still don't like to see trash in the caches that I find any more than I enjoy finding caches in a littered area. Litter is litter, whether it is inside or outside of the cache.

Collectibles are a funny thing. I imagine that if I spotted a copy of action comics #1 in a cache that I would assume that I had nothing of equal value to trade and leave it for some lucky person who carries around swag worth half a million dollars. I would guess that most people would realize it's a collectible and if they traded (assuming they are honest) they would leave something they felt was very valuable, but probably nowhere near its actual value. The range of percieved value is probably huge.

Bottlecaps, having less of a reputation of collectible value, would probably have a much lower range of percieved value, all the way down to worthless trash. Heck, some may even consider the comic worthless trash. After all, it's a used comic that was only worth 10 cents when new.

Value is very subjective even for new non-collectible items. If my kid takes a pencil top that I can get for 5 cents in bulk, I'll probably trade some dollar store toy for it and feel really good about the trade. But that doesn't mean the next person who sees it won't be disappointed at the dollar store "junk" that they found in the cache.

Some else mentioned used golf balls. Good swag, I like to shoot them. They go a bit further down the range and the shots get harder to make. It's good practice.
Again... what would you consider to be an equal trade item for a used golf ball. For that matter, how should a used golf ball ever get into a cache if we all traded equal or better? (unless, of course, expired coupons, broken rubber bands, used golf balls, and old bottle caps were part of the orignal swag)
Lots of things would equal a used golf ball. Off the top of my head: a few army men, a barrel of monkeys monkey, a bouncy ball, a chip clip, a cheapo retractible keyring, two of Arrow42's bottle caps, etc. Plus, there's no guideline against trading up, is there?
If you are referring to those leaving things when you take a used golf ball, I'd have to agree. If you're referring to leaving a used golf ball for any of those things... well, you know. :blink:
Actually, I think that many of those things would have been perfectly fine to trade out with a used golf ball.

You see, the perceived value of most of those items are roughly the same as a golf ball, to me. We are not staging an antiques roadshow at each cache site. The best we can do is judge the worth of items in a cache to us and trade back in something that holds similar worth to us.

And now I feel bad about leaving a cap from a limited run of special Beer. (to be left unnamed). There were only 10,000 of those bottle caps ever made but I didn't realize that one of those would be nothing more than trash.
Why would you assume everyone would know that cap is from a limited run of special beer, and not something you found on the trail into the cache? People collect all kinds of things, many of which may appear as junk if you don't know what it is. If it isn't valuable enough to label, don't be surprise if it gets tossed.
I would think that someone who collects bottle caps wouldn't need a label to tell them that they wanted it.

Value is very subjective even for new non-collectible items. If my kid takes a pencil top that I can get for 5 cents in bulk, I'll probably trade some dollar store toy for it and feel really good about the trade. But that doesn't mean the next person who sees it won't be disappointed at the dollar store "junk" that they found in the cache.

I have to disagree with you about the subjective nature of value. We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value. As I said in an earlier post, if it would be considered litter by any reasonable person when found outside of the cache, then its litter when found inside of a cache.

A quick Ebay search of bottle cap(s) excluding the word opener yielded 3950 auctions.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bottle+ca...*&_osacat=0

Of course bottle caps aren't collectable.

and, FYI a search for used golf balls yielded 2100+ auctions

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=used+golf+ball*

So? Your point is what? That there are people that will pay for junk? You know the point I am trying to make. Please stop with the pointless arguments. Haven't you got some avatars to create? Life is too short to put up with your replies.
His point is that bottle caps and used golf balls have value.
Besides, all that proves is that any bottle cap or golf ball that *may* be worth something is more likely to end up on eBay than being dropped in a geocache.
This comment makes no sense.

Ebay often isn't the last step on the product chain. Many people buy things on ebay not to keep but to pass along in some manner. Many geocachers buy their trade swag on ebay.

We purchased these recycled caps online (Etsy) & left them as swag... each one in a little baggie.

It was neat to read a few cachers mention them in their log.

bottlecaps.jpg

Something like that, I would consider swag. Those are special bottle caps, they are in good condition, and are protected by you taking the time to drop it into a baggie all its own.

We're not referring to well-thought out trade items like that when we say bottle caps are trash, and I think we all understand that. Those of us taking that stance have been referring all along to those bottle caps that picked up in the parking lot or from the trail on the way to the cache. I'm sure the OP would agree with these statements.

I have to disagree with you about the subjective nature of value. We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value.
It is really irritating when individuals make broad statements about what other people think. Plus, your post, followed to it's logical conclusion, is basically arguing that we should all know the exact market value for everything that we trade in or out. This is obviously silly.
As I said in an earlier post, if it would be considered litter by any reasonable person when found outside of the cache, then its litter when found inside of a cache.
Interesting.

My wife considers every cache that's ever been placed to be little. I suppose that means that they must actually be litter, right?

Every now and then I find something worth picking up and trading for. I always assume that the next person might be looking for cool swag and try to leave something worth picking up.

Clearly some cacher like the taking of swag, but not nearly enough understand the concept of trading up or trading even. I will say, as a back-handed admission, that my swag drops have improved over the last 2+ years.

Foreign coins, since it was mentioned already.... My daughter collects them and wants as many different ones as possible. Not knowing exactly which ones she has means that I take as many as I can find (trading evenly if I know their value). Then I bring them home to her and she supplies me with a fresh supply of "duplicates". Those go in the cache bag for the next outing.

Sometimes she trades up in the quality/condition of the coins. Same would apply to bottle caps, I guess.

I often trade foreign coins. The coins are mostly ones that I had left over from when we were overseas. While they did cost me originally, they now actually have no value, since you can't exchange a pocketful of loose coins at the local bank. Similarly, the coins that I trade out of caches have no real value to me, since I won't be spending them in whatever country minted them. Therefore, I don't work to hard at making 'even' trades for them.

Also, it should be noted that the coins that I find in a cache need not be packaged in little baggies and labeled as I can identify them as foriegn coins just by looking at them. Similarly, people can identify a bottle cap just by looking at it.

Sorry, I do not know anyone who is an "expired coupon" collector.
I suspect that few of these coupons were expired at the time that they were placed in the cache. At that point, they did have value. I certainly wouldn't mind finding some Babies R Us 15% off coupons in a cache. Edited by sbell111

Plus, your post, followed to it's logical conclusion, is basically arguing that we should all know the exact market value for everything that we trade in or out. This is obviously silly.

I think we all know in our gut the basic, general value of an item, at least those found in caches. Often times this is informed by the condition in which they were dropped (IE in a protective baggy in the case of bottle caps). At least I'm able to compare two items and make a reasonable relative assessment of the value of the items.

I don't think that anybody is suggesting that we know the exact market value. This is not the logical conclusion we should arrive at with the verbiage of "We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value."

Knowschad is, at least in my reading, using non-specific terms that speak to a more "gut-feeling" approach to value assessment.

YMMV.

I have to disagree with you about the subjective nature of value. We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value.
It is really irritating when individuals make broad statements about what other people think. Plus, your post, followed to it's logical conclusion, is basically arguing that we should all know the exact market value for everything that we trade in or out. This is obviously silly.
As I said in an earlier post, if it would be considered litter by any reasonable person when found outside of the cache, then its litter when found inside of a cache.
Interesting.

My wife considers every cache that's ever been placed to be little. I suppose that means that they must actually be litter, right?

"I have to disagree with you about the subjective nature of value. We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value."

Right on.

I have to disagree with you about the subjective nature of value. We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value. As I said in an earlier post, if it would be considered litter by any reasonable person when found outside of the cache, then its litter when found inside of a cache.

I see your point. However, I know when I cache that my 1 year old is going to covet some piece of junk out of the cache. She's not going to care about foreign coins, or useful camping items. Even if I see the plastic toys as junk, when my 3 kids grab the bubble gum machine toys out of the cache am I trading equally when I leave 3 items I think are of equal value but worthless to kids? I ordered pathtags for myself and the kids to trade for these items, but I'm still going to attach plastic toy keychains to them because that's what they're taking and that's what they value. Yes, I know in my heart it's junk to me, (hence the attached tag) but I also know in my heart that it's valuable to a kid.

OK, let me try a different tact:

You just put out a cache. You spend tens of dollars filling it with the best swag you could find and afford, ight? You revisit that cache, for whatever reason, in a month or two. You find that LED flashlight that cost you $8, swapped out for a soggy, expired carwash coupon. The $1 alumininum carabiner, swapped for a beer bottle cap. The $10 multi-tool clone has been exchanged equally or better for a 25 cent superball. Come on, Bittsen... you don't have a lot of hides, and only one that is big enough to hold much swag, but you have found enough to empathise, I'm sure. Trash is trash, we all know what is trash, and rationalizations don't change that fact. There ARE no collector bottle caps or golfballs in caches, and you dadgummed know it.

A couple thoughts:
  • 'Tack', not 'tact'
  • A cache owner checking on his cache after two months and several finds would not be able to make one-to-one judgements on the trades, as you argue. Rather, the $19 worth of swag would likely slowly degenerate into a box of refuse over the course of many trade cycles.
  • The person trading out the $8 flashlight probably had no clue that you paid $8 for it. They may have thought that it was a $2 flashlight. Heck, I bought some cool 29 cent flashlights the other day that will find their way into caches.
  • Who pays $1 for a cheapo carabiner? Most of the carabiners I've found in a cache would be in the 'superball' trade category.
  • I've never seen a multi-tool clone that was worth $10. I have little doubt that these cheap tools would be traded out for something in the buck range. Perhaps a cheapo flashlight or a cool happy meal toy.
  • The local car wash charges upwards from ten or twenty dollars to clean a car. That would lead me to believe that a coupon for the car wash might be worth as much as five or ten bucks. Sure that value drops as time passes, but it may still have had value when it was placed in the cache.
  • The fact that the coupon was soggy is an owner maintenance issue, not a junky trade issue.

Were all the corks labeled and in little baggies?

In the short month I have been doing this I have already figured out that people just grab whatever crap their kids dropped on the floor of the car to throw in these things it would seem.

I totally agree. And as for golf balls, at least they have a useful purpose in the world.

For the past several years, the majority of stuff we see in caches, while not literally trash, carries a value as if it were. An unfortunate by-product of a game that has seen exponential growth.

This is unlikely to change.

Edited by Team Cotati
A used golf ball in a cache is junk left with no intention other than to leave junk.
Believe it or not, there are some people who like finding golf balls in caches. I believe the world calls them "golfers".
When I first started to cache and found golf balls as swag, I asked some of my friends that golf if they wanted me to save some for them. You'd think I'd asked them if I wanted to save my dog poop for them.
I enjoy finding used golf balls in caches because I make caches out of them, but when I used to golf I liked to keep a few beat up balls in my bag. I used them on holes with water hazards so I wouldn't be out cache if I didn't clear the hazard. My brother is a pretty good golfer and he does the same.

Plus, your post, followed to it's logical conclusion, is basically arguing that we should all know the exact market value for everything that we trade in or out. This is obviously silly.

I think we all know in our gut the basic, general value of an item, at least those found in caches. Often times this is informed by the condition in which they were dropped (IE in a protective baggy in the case of bottle caps). At least I'm able to compare two items and make a reasonable relative assessment of the value of the items.

I don't think that anybody is suggesting that we know the exact market value. This is not the logical conclusion we should arrive at with the verbiage of "We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value."

Knowschad is, at least in my reading, using non-specific terms that speak to a more "gut-feeling" approach to value assessment.

YMMV.

I disagree. He specifically disagreed with the use of 'subjective value', therefore, he appears to be arguing that actual 'market value' must be used in trading.
Interesting.

"I have to disagree with you about the subjective nature of value. We all know in our hearts when we're trading junk for something of general value."

Right on.

So stop doing it.

In the short month I have been doing this I have already figured out that people just grab whatever crap their kids dropped on the floor of the car to throw in these things it would seem.

I totally agree. And as for golf balls, at least they have a useful purpose in the world.

For the past several years, the majority of stuff we see in caches, while not literally trash, carries a value as if it were. An unfortunate by-product of a game that has seen exponential growth.

This is unlikely to change.

I completely agree.

The fact is, there have been threads about people not trading fairly as early as 2001 and probably before. I simply have trouble getting worked up over something that is basically a given.

Everyone should attept to trade evenly or up. However, the only thing we really have to go on while in the field is our perceived value of the stuff in the cache weighed against our perceived value of the junk that we brought with us. Sometimes, this is going to result in trades that other individuals may judge to be 'unfair'. Oh well.

YMMV.

I disagree. He specifically disagreed with the use of 'subjective value', therefore, he appears to be arguing that actual 'market value' must be used in trading.

Castle Mischief was right about my meaning. I think that you also knew "in your heart" the "general value" of my statement.

YMMV.

Castle Mischief was right about my meaning. I think that you also knew "in your heart" the "general value" of my statement.

I think that I do.

Were all the corks labeled and in little baggies?

Actually, all the corks are in one big ziploc. And they smell fantastic when you open the bag :D

Now you've gone and done it!! Next thing will be someone complaining about the minute amount of alcohol in the corks being against regulations, or arguing that wine is "food" and shouldn't be in caches. Might even get someone complaining that corks are nothing more than useless bottle caps.

:blink:

If someone trades all my stocked swag for geocrap, I will get over that too. In fact, I completely expect that that is exactly what will happen.

This statement is a huge difference from the tone you set in your other posts. Are you now saying this stuff is "geocrap". If so why are you arguing in your other posts that it is OK to leave this stuff, and that it may be good stuff to leave.

I know, it is because you just like to argue.

• Tack', not 'tact'

Thanks for pointing out my typo. I do know the difference.
As someone on these furoms once pointed out to me, the 'k' key is not close to the 't' key. :blink:

Also, there was much more to my post than that little bit.

I'm not even thinking about responding to the rest of that post. It isn't worth it.

OK, let me try a different tact:

You just put out a cache. You spend tens of dollars filling it with the best swag you could find and afford, ight? You revisit that cache, for whatever reason, in a month or two. You find that LED flashlight that cost you $8, swapped out for a soggy, expired carwash coupon. The $1 alumininum carabiner, swapped for a beer bottle cap. The $10 multi-tool clone has been exchanged equally or better for a 25 cent superball. Come on, Bittsen... you don't have a lot of hides, and only one that is big enough to hold much swag, but you have found enough to empathise, I'm sure. Trash is trash, we all know what is trash, and rationalizations don't change that fact. There ARE no collector bottle caps or golfballs in caches, and you dadgummed know it.

A couple thoughts:
  • 'Tack', not 'tact'
  • A cache owner checking on his cache after two months and several finds would not be able to make one-to-one judgements on the trades, as you argue. Rather, the $19 worth of swag would likely slowly degenerate into a box of refuse over the course of many trade cycles.
  • The person trading out the $8 flashlight probably had no clue that you paid $8 for it. They may have thought that it was a $2 flashlight. Heck, I bought some cool 29 cent flashlights the other day that will find their way into caches.
  • Who pays $1 for a cheapo carabiner? Most of the carabiners I've found in a cache would be in the 'superball' trade category.
  • I've never seen a multi-tool clone that was worth $10. I have little doubt that these cheap tools would be traded out for something in the buck range. Perhaps a cheapo flashlight or a cool happy meal toy.
  • The local car wash charges upwards from ten or twenty dollars to clean a car. That would lead me to believe that a coupon for the car wash might be worth as much as five or ten bucks. Sure that value drops as time passes, but it may still have had value when it was placed in the cache.
  • The fact that the coupon was soggy is an owner maintenance issue, not a junky trade issue.

Thanks for pointing out my typo. I do know the difference.
As someone on these furoms once pointed out to me, the 'k' key is not close to the 't' key. :blink:

Also, there was much more to my post than that little bit.

I'm not even thinking about responding to the rest of that post. It isn't worth it.
It's not worth talking about your issue??? Really?

I guess that you only wish to discuss things with people who completely agree with you. :D

Edited by sbell111

Since everyone else is too busy attacking each other, I'll add my 2 cents in again, on topic. I've seen bottle caps in caches, and if they're especially nice, I might take one. But overall, I am caching, therefore, I am looking more for the cache than the swag. Down the road, I plan on filling my go bag for caching with some swag to trade, but right now I've not got the spare cache to. So I do my best to please the CO by finding their cache and writing a nice log.

If someone trades all my stocked swag for geocrap, I will get over that too. In fact, I completely expect that that is exactly what will happen.

This statement is a huge difference from the tone you set in your other posts. Are you now saying this stuff is "geocrap". If so why are you arguing in your other posts that it is OK to leave this stuff, and that it may be good stuff to leave.

I know, it is because you just like to argue.

On the contrary.

The term geocrap, in context, was not referring to the "stuff" in this thread. It was a generic term. Taking my post out of context and attempting to use it as a tool to "get" me is childish.

A specific example is that if I were golfing this summer and found a used (but usable) golf ball in a cache, I would trade it out and use the golf ball. Others might refer to it as geocrap.

What I refer to as geocrap are stickers that are in a wet container. Perhaps the container wasn't wet when they were placed in it. Don't know. But once they are wet, they are geocrap. Another would be (for instance) the arm of a barbie doll (yes, I saw it in a cache). Before you say anything about the barbie doll arm, no I didn't remove it. Perhaps there was a reason for the arm in the cache. Maybe someone had a side puzzle where they could build a while barbie if they visited 6 caches in a series. Who am I to decide?

I hope this thread goes away and we see another thread about viewing archived caches or someone having the novel idea of suggesting a new rating system for caches.

We haven't had a cache blown up for quite some time now.

Heck, I'll go blow one up right now.

Watch out for the flying golf balls and bottle caps!

That's very odd. Used golf balls are sold at golf courses everywhere, and typically sell for $1 each. I used to buy a couple every time I went to replace the balls I'd lose to hazards.

That's very odd. Used golf balls are sold at golf courses everywhere, and typically sell for $1 each. I used to buy a couple every time I went to replace the balls I'd lose to hazards.
The last time I bought used golf balls, they came to about $6/dozen for no-name brands (which was what I was interested in, since I wasn't going to play golf with them). Of course, you'll pay a premium if you buy name-brand used balls, or if you buy them at the course.

But that's at least as valuable as most dollar-store trinkets, foreign coins, sig items, or other inexpensive swag that few people complain about.