why is geocaching.com so slow?

R&JStockman

Is it just me, or is it slow for everyone? I have to wait sometimes 45 seconds for the pages to load. That is everything from moving the google map around, to forums loading. I am on a broadband connection, and have no problems with other sites just this one. Thanks for the insight.

Personal opinion and near flaimbait, but IMHO this is caused by the fact that they insist on running everything inside the Microsoft .Net framework. In my experience, things always run much slower inside this framework than outside. I had a database app that somebody else had written in .net w/Microsoft's SQL server as the backend. I rewrote it in PHP/MySQL and it ran considerably faster on older hardware (my Linux box was much older, had less RAM and Processor speed but still handled things faster). There's just way too much overhead in the .net framework. It gives you a pretty GUI to program inside of, but it's at quite the usability cost.

Is it just me, or is it slow for everyone? I have to wait sometimes 45 seconds for the pages to load. That is everything from moving the google map around, to forums loading. I am on a broadband connection, and have no problems with other sites just this one. Thanks for the insight.

Hi Stockman. Yes, your experience matches mine. I have been noticing this site behavior for about the past two months it seems. See my log for the outage at 0641pdt this morning.