A little help for a newbie

aryan_55025

Hi all,

I am very new to this (as in just tried it yesterday). My son and I took our garmin gps and just walked until we hit the coordinates where the geocache was supposed to be located. We went to 6 different locations and looked for quite some time at each one with no luck. Are they ever buried? Any hints? I have no idea what I'm doing or even looking for, but I really enjoy the idea of geocaching.

Also, my Garmin has an accuracy "thing" on it. Does this actually mean that when we are in the "exact" location, it's accurate within the amount of feet (for example 30')? Can the cache then be within a 30' perimeter rather than where we are standing??

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The caches should not be buried in accordance with the listing requirements/guidelines. They may, however, be covered by rocks, sticks, leaves, etc.

Also, do not expect your GPS unit to take you to the "exact" location. Your GPS unit typically will get you within 20 - 30 feet. Then you should rely on your own senses.

Look for "hiding places" such as logs, stumps, crevices, etc. Look for things that "look out of place" such as a pile of sticks or rocks.

And when you first start out, it's advisable to stick with Traditional caches, that are regular or large size, and are 1 and 1.5 in difficulty.

Read some of the previous logs to get a sense of what other cachers are saying about the cache.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged and you will quickly become a "pro".

:(

Thank you. This really helps me! We're going to try again today. Hopefully we can find one. My little boy loves the idea of a "treasure hunt"!

I'm also fairly new to geocaching and had a heck of a time with my first two caches (and some since). What I did was to email the owners of the cache. I explained I was new and stated that I understood if they didn't want to provide additional hints, but that I would appreciate any they could give or at least to make sure I was in the right area. I've had moderate success with that. One owner didn't reply, so I asked the next person that found it. I learned of an important technique I never would have thought of (skirt lifting).

I don't know if this quite follows geocaching "etiquette," but as one person told me, it takes time to get use to what to look for. I also figure that it alerts the owner that it might have disappeared and allows me to give specific details that might be spoilers on a DNF log...

Stephen

Most of your caches are gonna be in ammo cans or lock n' locks, which are kind of like tupperware. They're usually painted dark and under or inside something. If they're smaller, look for things like a 35mm film canister or pill bottle. Most of the caches around here that are regular sized(ammo cans) are underneath or behind logs, under piles of rocks, not big piles, but 5 or 6 rocks. Moss is a good way to hide stuff as well.

Hope today went better!

Hope today went better for you. First and foremost don't let not finding a cache turn you off of the game. My first try ever was back in 2001 with a group of 3 people - we looked and looked. Never found it on the first day.

We regrouped and tried again the next day - found it.......

As Mama posted - stick with the "regular" sized caches at first, 1 or 1.5 difficult - terrain can be higher if you are up for a hike.

Once you find a few you'll have a better idea of what to look for.

Try to think as if you were at the location looking to hide something. If the size is a "regular" then you should be looking for somewhere that you could hide a small shoebox sized item. Small's can be more like sandwich size containers down to smaller plastic tubes, beach safes and the like. Micros are typically 35mm film can sized items (or smaller - sometimes referred to as Nano's). The Micros can be had to find at first, and Micros come in all flavors from film cans, bison tubes (tiny pill bottles), regular pill bottles, flat magnets camoed to blend in, or even magnetic key holders.

Eventually you'll develop your Geosenses only to find your son is developing his at a much faster pace.

Enjoy!!!!!

Hi all,

I am very new to this (as in just tried it yesterday). My son and I took our garmin gps and just walked until we hit the coordinates where the geocache was supposed to be located. We went to 6 different locations and looked for quite some time at each one with no luck. Are they ever buried? Any hints? I have no idea what I'm doing or even looking for, but I really enjoy the idea of geocaching.

Also, my Garmin has an accuracy "thing" on it. Does this actually mean that when we are in the "exact" location, it's accurate within the amount of feet (for example 30')? Can the cache then be within a 30' perimeter rather than where we are standing??

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I agree with all the suggestions so far and just want to add one more. Are you using a handheld Garmin or one mainly intended for use in the car? Car GPSr's can be used for caching, although it's not as easy. If you are using a handheld Garmin, try using the compass page rather than matching up the coordinates it should be lots easier to get to the location. Yes, an accuracy of 30' means you could be 30' off. If you add in that the hider could have had the same accuracy, there could be a 60' discrepancy. Usually, though, they're more accurate than that. Good reason to start with big caches though, since it's much easier to search a 50' area for an ammo can than a film can. :P

We just started looking on Friday and have found 5 so far. I completely agree with what everyone said. Start with level 1's and look for bigger sized caches. Our first was a 35mm film container but luckily the description and hint was dead on.

You said you have a son. Just think as if you were hiding Easter Eggs for him. You wouldn't just leave them out in the open would you? You have to think a bit trickier.

And even if you don't find one, at least you got to spend some time outdoors with your son :P

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

a tip from a newbie like me is to look for places you would hide them and also look for things like "why are all those sticks piled up against that tree?" hope that helps !!

Just what I was going to say, us Brits think alike, even though I am now in Canada. Stick to the easier and larger ones to begin with, especially those aimed at children, and carry some treasure for your son. A reward for his efforts if you come up dry. An ice cream is always a good treat too - works for me! I don't know how old your son is, but younger ones have a shorter attention span, so be patient! Quick caches will keep his interest up.

Hope you both have fun, and good on you for introducing him to the great outdoors. I have a feeling it won't be long before he wants to hide his own cache.

The caches should not be buried in accordance with the listing requirements/guidelines. They may, however, be covered by rocks, sticks, leaves, etc.

Also, do not expect your GPS unit to take you to the "exact" location. Your GPS unit typically will get you within 20 - 30 feet. Then you should rely on your own senses.

Look for "hiding places" such as logs, stumps, crevices, etc. Look for things that "look out of place" such as a pile of sticks or rocks.

And when you first start out, it's advisable to stick with Traditional caches, that are regular or large size, and are 1 and 1.5 in difficulty.

Read some of the previous logs to get a sense of what other cachers are saying about the cache.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged and you will quickly become a "pro".

:blink:

You better check when the cache was last found.

If that's more than a couple of weeks (or even moths) ago, it might be gone.

Caches found yesteday or last week are most likely still in place.

Says one with 2 caches experience...

No - not found for a while simply means it is more likely to be in a remote place with a nice view!!

Some suggestions from a fairly new Geocacher (though not as new to the sport as my account might suggest)...

Start with caches that SOUND easy to begin with; ones that are geographically close and don't require hiking and bush whacking and such.

Check to see that the cache you're going to be hunting has been spotted recently. In my opinion this can be huge: Nothing more frustrating than looking for a cache that's been muggled away to parts unknown. Arrrgh!

Furthermore, just before you head out, read the description, decrypt any additional clues and read ALL the logs. Print any helpful information to take with you. The logs will often provide helpful hints.

I returned to a DNF location for the third time just yesterday after reading a log where someone pointed out the "official" coordinates (meaning the ones given in the description) could be a little off. Sure enough, using the suggested coordinates was enough to get me over the hump and I scored the find. This cache was practically on my way home from work so it met all the criteria: it's close, it's a non-micro, had been logged less than a week prior and the logs made it sound like an easy "Dash and Cache", which in reality it was once I asked myself, "Where would I hide it?"

Use a little psychology; ask yourself, "Where would *I* hide a cache in this area?" -- this can absolutely be your best weapon.

Relax and have fun...

Edited by Jupiter_Jack