Fire danger

Puppy Dawg

Most places, it RAINS in the summer and is HUMID. Those are two conditions that make the fire danger low. It hasn't rained here for a few months, heavy rain, not since early spring. THAT is high fire danger, tooped with scorching heat and ultralow humidity.

Fire danger varies by season and weather conditions. IMHO, attributes shouldn't be used for transient properties beyond Needs Maintenance, else the CO will be constantly monitoring & editing.

In a world where COs already aren't making the best use of attributes, I can't imagine many of them utilizing this properly.

Edited by dakboy

So...Could we get a 'high fire danger' attribute to stick on our caches in places like that?

That would be a highly seasonal attribute and not exactly related to geocaching. In my area they forest service maintains sings to let you know the level of fire danger ("extreme" right now, btw).

Most places, it RAINS in the summer and is HUMID. Those are two conditions that make the fire danger low. It hasn't rained here for a few months, heavy rain, not since early spring. THAT is high fire danger, tooped with scorching heat and ultralow humidity.
Fire danger varies by season and weather conditions. IMHO, attributes shouldn't be used for transient properties beyond Needs Maintenance, else the CO will be constantly monitoring & editing.

For what it's worth, over at Terracaching.com they do this automatically. If you're looking at a cache page there's a bright red banner that appears if the area of the cache is affected by a weather warning (floods, thunderstorms, tornado, high fire danger, etc.).

Seems like it would be only applicable seasonally and situationally.

I know we have seen waaaay above average rains around here when it is normally quite dry in August.

If it has been dry all year in many places around here there is insuffcient grass to worry much about fire. During wetter springs and normal dry summers - the danger is much higher.

I know common sense is rare but seriously - I think most of us can tell the difference between green grass and dry brown grass and short grass and tall grass.