Question about Letterbox Hybrids

rob3k

I've been toying with the idea of hiding a LB cache, but besides the obstacle of figuring out how to create a custom stamp, I'm not sure if the way I'd want to set it up would be allowed or not.

I'd like to have the coords lead to the starting point and then the cache's narrative lead you to the cache from there. But are you required to set the coords at the actual cache? If so, I'd probably just go with a traditional as I figure that's how most seekers would treat it.

From the guidelines -

"should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for geocaches and therefore must contain a logbook and involve GPS use as an integral part of the hunt. A letterbox hybrid cannot be designed to be found using only clues. "

It doesn't sound like your idea conforms to the bold part there. It sounds as if you have a ? cache idea, which then of course would be a mystery cache as opposed to a letterbox hybrid. The few letterboxes I've seen (7 or so across almost as many states) have had the coordinates for the cache as the cache's location. There have been two that were so well hidden that reading the letterbox description made the find faster....

edit - I forgot to add, send a note to your reviewer and see what they say. Forums = opinion of forum addicts. Reviewer notes = likely closer to the reality of your local caching problem.

Edited by Jeep_Dog
But are you required to set the coords at the actual cache?

You are required to include the coordinates to the Final LBH on the Listing somewhere. Some LBH's in our area are set up as modified Traditionals (e.g. cache page coordinates are the location of the LBH), while others are clue based, like your concept, and the Final coordinates are entered as a hidden Additional Waypoint (e.g. hidden coordinates, although the details are visible on the page).

Your local Reviewer would make the call on whether there is adequate GPS useage or not.

Good luck ;)

But are you required to set the coords at the actual cache?

I think you mean, are the coordinates at the top of the listing the actual cache coords? No, you can set up a clue based hunt, remembering that at some point there must a need to use a gps! As a reviewer, the common error I see is parking coords for Name of Park, then directions to the cache. No need at all to fire up the gps and hence no publication here.

But if you take that same letterbox write up, and provide coordinates for a particular spot along the trail, say a somewhat conspicuous tree, or a particular trail marker, and then clue based directions from that point, that's probably something that can be published.

From the guidelines -

"should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for geocaches and therefore must contain a logbook and involve GPS use as an integral part of the hunt. A letterbox hybrid cannot be designed to be found using only clues. "

The OP said use the coords to take you to the starting point. You need a GPSr for that.

I think the OP has the right idea. Otherwise, what would make it a hybrid? The fact that it has a stamp and book?

I just did a letterbox hybrid that was set up exactly as the OP said. It's in northern Illinois and the posted coordinates brought me to the first stage. From there, I had two more stages that required me to follow verbal orienteering instructions. Very well done. We have a lot of LB hybrid finds, and the best ones IMHO are those set up in this manner.

GC12F1C

Custom stamps are not that tough, either. Get some of the inexpensive stamp carving kits at a place like Hobby Lobby. A bold graphic design can be modified to carve for your image. You can also do a reverse design, where you draw the design onto the carving material and then just incise those lines. The stamped image will be mostly ink, with the design showing in white.

I love LB hybrids and applaud your efforts.

The one letterbox hybrid we've done so far was set up exactly as described by palmetto. It was in a very small nature preserve for which there wasn't even a proper parking lot, so we were using our GPS to even figure out where to enter the park. We got on the trail and got to the GPS coordinates at a place where the trail breaks off. We then followed clues the rest of the way to ultimately find the letterbox.

As far as making your own stamp, there's ton of information out there. Mostly they are carved out of erasers or special stamp-carving blocks. Try googling "carving stamps" and a ton of tutorials will come up. Good luck!

I love LB hybrids and applaud your efforts.

Me too.

My pet peeve though is letterbox hiders that throw any old irrelevant store bought stamp in the box "for the letterboxers".

Most letterboxer's prefer a unique personal art piece, no matter how crudely carved. It's a one-of-a-kind item that makes the box special. Also, I like stamps that work with a theme.

If your box is a tribute to your boston terrier then a handcarved stamp of a boston terrier would be terrific.

2281877664_5703bf6a35_m.jpg

Finding a store bought stamp of an elephant in the box doesn't make sense.

AS121CC.jpg

Custom stamps are not that tough, either. Get some of the inexpensive stamp carving kits at a place like Hobby Lobby. A bold graphic design can be modified to carve for your image. You can also do a reverse design, where you draw the design onto the carving material and then just incise those lines. The stamped image will be mostly ink, with the design showing in white.

You might want to start off trying white vinyl erasers. Check your local dollar store. Sometimes you can find those Big Mistakes vinyl erasers. They're about 2"x5" which will give you plenty of carving space - you can cut one down to the size you need.

eraser,mistake,regret-45012c3183f1caf603267944dd3cb4d0_m.jpg It's made of smooth vinyl rubber, not that grainy stuff that smaller pink erasers are made of.

For more information on how to carve a rubberstamp see the collected tutorials on this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/lone-r/links.htm#carve

Edited by Lone R

I've been toying with the idea of hiding a LB cache, but besides the obstacle of figuring out how to create a custom stamp, I'm not sure if the way I'd want to set it up would be allowed or not.

I'd like to have the coords lead to the starting point and then the cache's narrative lead you to the cache from there. But are you required to set the coords at the actual cache? If so, I'd probably just go with a traditional as I figure that's how most seekers would treat it.

As long as you can demonstrate that GPS use is an integral part of the hunt, it should be OK.

The GPS leading you to a parking lot would probably be a no go. If however it brings you to a monument, or other specific object then it should be fine.

As long as you can demonstrate that GPS use is an integral part of the hunt, it should be OK.

The GPS leading you to a parking lot would probably be a no go. If however it brings you to a monument, or other specific object then it should be fine.

Thanks for the great info. I think my plan would probably work, but I'll be sure to touch base with my local reviewer before plotting it all out in detail.

I suppose one could also set up a cache that is just like a LB, but with no stamp and list it as a mystery cache?