Multi or Puzzle Cache

Geldhart

Here is my basic idea - a "tour" of some parks in my city.

Final co-ordinates are N AB CD.EFG' W HJK LM.NPQ

1. I post general co-ordinates of 15 parks in my city as waypoints to help cachers find the park.

2. Inside the park they must obtain information from a specific sign - The waypoint posted is NOT the waypoint of the sign. I tell them what information they need from the sign - For example, John Smith died in 198G or The sign is exactly 6Q2 meters from Cache GCXXXX. There would be variation in the tasks.

3. With the information, they fill in one of the letters in the final co-ordinates

4. Once they have all the co-ordinates they can go get the cache.

So, would you call this a Multi or a Puzzle?

Edited by Geldhart

So, would you call this a Multi or a Puzzle?

Looks like it's a Multi, according to the guidelines. But also read the Mystery/Puzzle one, for distance considerations:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#multi

What does distance have to do with it? The bogus coordinates on a cache page need to be with a mile or two of the cache (or stage if it's a multistage puzzle) but otherwise there is no distance limit on multis or puzzles.

This is your classic "Multi", but it can also be listed as a "Mystery/Unknown" (technically, any cache can be listed as a "Mystery/Unknown").

I'd list it as a Multi because finding the intermediate stages is fairly straightforward with no complicated cyphers, codes, or arithmetic.

Somewhat difficult to say, given the information provided. It does read like an off-set multicache.

I'll mention that your N AB CD.EFG' W HJK LM.NPQ formula can often be short-cut rather dramatically. It's quite unlikely that I need to solve for AB or HJK and in many cases, I only need EF and NP I can call G=5 and Q=5 and get to the hide nicely with that. AB CD are often a given as are HJK LM (or can be easily discerned with some map work).

Interestingly enough, you have more leeway with a multi on this then with a puzzle. Call it a puzzle and your bogus coords MUST be within 2 miles of the cache, which just about guarantees that I don't need AB or HJK

In regards to shorthanding my general form I won't. Until they arrive at the park, they won't know which letter they need - that will also come from some information in the park or the sign.

I'm thinking Multi - fair warning that it may take a little while when I say it's a 15 stage multi.

To me, it's sounding more like a mystery/puzzle cache than a multi-cache:

- They have to figure out what letter they're looking for once they get on-site.

- You post general coordinates for the parks, not for the actual signs/stages.

- They have to find other caches before they can find your stages.

- There would be other "variation in the tasks".