Cache/hides being stolen/removed by hispanic muggles....

When we book people into our jail, we give them an information sheet to fill out.

Name, DOB, Address, Height, Weight, etc.

I was once tasked with developing a Spanish language version of this form. An odd choice, since I don't speak Spanish.

What I discovered, upon presenting the completed form to the intended arrestees, is that about 75% of them were illiterate.

Having been born in Spanish speaking countries, they could speak the language fluently, (obviously), but they couldn't read it.

I'm wondering how effective a Spanish language geocaching sticker would be?

Maybe some sort of visual aid would be more effective? :D

So you're saying that 75% of hispanics are illiterate without any demographic proof? Now THAT'S racist. :P

Bart... down, boy. :laughing: He said that he had evidence that 75% of arrested hispanics in the group that was filling out his forms were illiterate. Whether or not he intended to generalize beyond that is something that neither you nor I can answer, but really, what CR said was very specific.

J/C that was a joke, man..

In my experience, Hispanics are more friendlier than most people (excepting the ones that drive 18 wheelers in Miami) instead of placing a bilingual sticker, just tell them about it. Most of them are really nice.

That sounds like you are stereotyping hispanics as nice. Stereotypes are evil!!!

Just funnin.

Really, for the most part, those of all nationalities are nice if you get to know them but, again, with every race, there are bad apples.

Talking to the landscapers isn't a bad idea.

Unfortunately stereotypes are unavoidable as basic communication depends on them. Words are labels and all words give only a basic, general meaning. In reality, everything is different when analyzed closely. Even numbers imply a sameness that breaks apart at close inspection. Negative stereotypes are what should be avoided, mainly because of idolatry. There are idolaters that blow meanings out of proportion, and are ready to stick negative labels on others while ignoring there own faults..

I can probably think of plenty of negative things to say about everyone, however the saying "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all" is a good one, and most likely is what spurred (and the origin) of humorous sarcasm..[:blink:]

Let me add, the phrase "gringo" is a bit humorous. When I worked in Georgia a few years ago, I asked a few Mexicans that I knew to tell me the translation. They told me "outsider". I said; "When someone goes to Mexico and they call them a gringo, all it means is outsider?" They said yes. I then said that they were all gringos, and they laughed and agreed, and after that I referred to them all as gringos which brought a smile to their faces. However, I recently asked someone from Honduras for the translation and he said white man. It was not derogatory, but it was mainly used in Mexico..I asked someone from Portugal who spoke portugese, and he could not tell me, as he did not really know any spanish (and I knew more than he did) which was odd.

If you have an issue with speaking spanish just say:

Hola! (hello)

Me llamo grande idiota. (I am freindly, but naive)

No hablan espanol (I dont speak spanish)

usted sabe un traductor? (do you know a translator?)

:cool:

Let me add, the phrase "gringo" is a bit humorous. When I worked in Georgia a few years ago, I asked a few Mexicans that I knew to tell me the translation. They told me "outsider". I said; "When someone goes to Mexico and they call them a gringo, all it means is outsider?" They said yes. I then said that they were all gringos, and they laughed and agreed, and after that I referred to them all as gringos which brought a smile to their faces. However, I recently asked someone from Honduras for the translation and he said white man. It was not derogatory, but it was mainly used in Mexico..I asked someone from Portugal who spoke portugese, and he could not tell me, as he did not really know any spanish (and I knew more than he did) which was odd.

If you have an issue with speaking spanish just say:

Hola! (hello)

No hablan espanol (I dont speak spanish)

usted sabe un traductor? (do you know a translator?)

:cool:

Too funny.....

Don't be fooled people.... That phrase means "My name is Great Idiot" (I am called great idiot)

Too funny.....

Don't be fooled people.... That phrase means "My name is Great Idiot" (I am called great idiot)

Thats what I have always said, and the meaning IS similar..

The spirit is always more important than the label.. :cool:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool