Save logs as draft

Puppy Dawg

So here's an idea for the site...or heck, a Greasemonkey script that does it would be fine too. :laughing: I want to be able to save logs as drafts...as in start writing but not finish. great when you have a cache to log that was so great you need to spend ages coming up with stuff to pump in. :anitongue: So what do you say? Can we get this done?

Or you can write your logs offline using the field note layout used by the Garmin Colorado/Oregon, save this as a simple text file (you can write your logs off-line in something as basic as Notpad).

GC####,yyyy-mm-ddThh:mmZ,Found it,"your log here"

GC####,yyyy-mm-ddThh:mmZ,Didn't find it,"your log here"

GC####,yyyy-mm-ddThh:mmZ,Needs Maintenance,"your log here"

Since it looks like your already using GSAK, why not just compose your logs there, then when you get them where you like them you can export them to a field notes file and upload that to the site?

There are a couple different macros on the GSAK site to help with this.

The stupid site logs you off so often anymore you need to copy it before every log anyway. I have to log in like 12 times per day. You used to be able to go days without logging in. How stupid is that?

So unless you save on your own you still might lose your logs.

The stupid site logs you off so often anymore you need to copy it before every log anyway. I have to log in like 12 times per day. You used to be able to go days without logging in. How stupid is that?

Must be something on your end, I stay logged in with no problems.

Can't argue about writing and saving first though, sure can't hurt.

Must be something on your end, I stay logged in with no problems.

Can't argue about writing and saving first though, sure can't hurt.

I agree. That must be something on your end. Reviewers are on the site daily. We write scores of various logs daily. If any were being logged out that much I would bet they would be complaining. The only time I seem to get logged out is during updates and even then it doesn't always kick me. It happens every now and then, but it is more few and far between.

I would suggest cleaning out all cookies and temporary internet files and/or get better virus scanning and spyware software. To me, it sounds like a spyware issue in your computer.

I will say that if you are on multiple computers and log out on one, you will be logged out on all of them.

Edited by mtn-man

Since it looks like your already using GSAK, why not just compose your logs there, then when you get them where you like them you can export them to a field notes file and upload that to the site?

Hey, that's an idea! Can I export a field note file into GSAK? (from a PN-40)

Time to find those macros

Not just me. I started a thread on it a while back. Something changed. If it sits for an unknown amount of time it logs you off. If you folks can say that you stay logged on for days (like we used to be able to), then I'd believe that it was on my end.

I stay logged on for days, weeks even. I'm no Lackey (though I get my mail there) nor anything else but a paid member. It must be your end or something strange & beneficial on mine...

I have an Oregon (I believe the pn40 puts out the same format file for field notes).

Using the FieldNotesImportAndLog macro:

I import my notes from the gps into gsak (step one of the macro I use, I personally close the macro after this step).

I clean up and expand my notes (my Oregon notes are often abbreviations and just two or three word logs), I can take as long as I want and internet isn't needed at this point.

I then create and upload a fieldnotes file to the website (step 2 of the macro, the macro can be started again directly in step 2).

From there I get a list of logs that I can click post, preview one last time, then save (takes less than a second or two per log).

Not just me. I started a thread on it a while back. Something changed. If it sits for an unknown amount of time it logs you off. If you folks can say that you stay logged on for days (like we used to be able to), then I'd believe that it was on my end.

I stay logged on for days, weeks even. I'm no Lackey (though I get my mail there) nor anything else but a paid member. It must be your end or something strange & beneficial on mine...

Ditto. I can go for days without accessing the site, and never get logged off unless I specifically click the log off link.

You must not have read my post closely either. I stay logged on for weeks. It is something with your computer. I access the site with multiple computers, including an iPod Touch using WIFI, and I don't have issues. If this were a big problem, there would be topic after topic about it here.

Speaking of which, this is off topic. Dig up your old topic and bump it if you would like to discuss this further.

I have an Oregon (I believe the pn40 puts out the same format file for field notes).

Using the FieldNotesImportAndLog macro:

I import my notes from the gps into gsak (step one of the macro I use, I personally close the macro after this step).

I clean up and expand my notes (my Oregon notes are often abbreviations and just two or three word logs), I can take as long as I want and internet isn't needed at this point.

I then create and upload a fieldnotes file to the website (step 2 of the macro, the macro can be started again directly in step 2).

From there I get a list of logs that I can click post, preview one last time, then save (takes less than a second or two per log).

Using Field Notes is great too because the link on the Field Notes page fills in the date and the log type for you. Very quick to enter logs.

The problem is, the macro only worked for one.

You mean one cache? Then something isn't quite right (maybe the check box that says ignore logs before xx/xx?? I leave that box unchecked, since I let the macro delete the field notes after grabbing them there is no reason to leave it checked).

I log multiple caches all the time. I'll log two or three (or more), use the macro to get the info in gsak, edit the notes on all the caches at once, then generate and upload the file to the site. I've never had an issue with multiple logs, even spread across multiple days.