Earthcache Question

swizzle

I recently did a puzzle cache that has a coords checker posted as a link on the cache page. Once you think you have the numbers figured out, you click the link and check your work. Is it possible to set up a earthcache like that? They get the right answer, type it in and earn their smiley or will it always be an e-mail sent to the CO to do the double check and ok the smiley? Swizzle

Other websites have the ability for the cache owner to put a Confirmation Code in the cache. The finder has to enter that code before they can log a "Found It". This site does not have that feature.

Answers to Earthcaches and virtuals must always be approved by the cache owner, if the owner actually cares. There are a few caches out there where anyone can log a find without verification. Fortunately, TPTB usually quickly archive those caches when they are reported.

Alrighty then. I figured as much. I suppose someone could be right in their answer but wrong in their speeling and they wouldn't earn their smiley. What if I was to give all of the info on a particular geological feature within the earthcache page and to log it they only needed a picture posted of themselves next to the geological feature. Does there always need to be a question to answer? Swizzle

You know, you really don't have to require an email to be sent at all.

I have several EarthCaches that don't require an email to be sent; you post your answers to the cache page.

I set them up this way because the EarthCaches were done with my science students anyway, so they aren't just "mine" and we made the "proof of visit" activities interactive. It wasn't that we didn't want email, we just wanted people to be able to do something fun there instead of reading a sign or counting something to answer some question via email. The activity is easy to do and it's obvious when you've "done it right" because you have the photo to post as your answer.

Examples:

Sandstone Erratic

Fossil Identification

Of course, people often send along an email anyway. Some want to double check their answer, but most just want to share something about their experience at the EarthCache, complement the students, or comment on the entire area. And of course, some people who weren't able to post the pictures for one reason or another send an email explaining their situation, so their logs will be allowed to remain on the EarthCache.

You know, you really don't have to require an email to be sent at all.

I have several EarthCaches that don't require an email to be sent; you post your answers to the cache page.

I set them up this way because the EarthCaches were done with my science students anyway, so they aren't just "mine" and we made the "proof of visit" activities interactive. It wasn't that we didn't want email, we just wanted people to be able to do something fun there instead of reading a sign or counting something to answer some question via email. The activity is easy to do and it's obvious when you've "done it right" because you have the photo to post as your answer.

Examples:

Sandstone Erratic

Fossil Identification

Of course, people often send along an email anyway. Some want to double check their answer, but most just want to share something about their experience at the EarthCache, complement the students, or comment on the entire area. And of course, some people who weren't able to post the pictures for one reason or another send an email explaining their situation, so their logs will be allowed to remain on the EarthCache.

These are certainly very well done, and very user friendly. Kudos! A refreshing new approach.

I recently did a puzzle cache that has a coords checker posted as a link on the cache page. Once you think you have the numbers figured out, you click the link and check your work. Is it possible to set up a earthcache like that? They get the right answer, type it in and earn their smiley or will it always be an e-mail sent to the CO to do the double check and ok the smiley? Swizzle

Your approcah may frustrate some cachers.

If you’re looking to vary the usual approach you may want to offer a multiple choice answers.

I know a number of people who pick a particular type of cache and use that as a center point to cache in an area. Your suggested approach may not yeild that type of oppurtunity for those cachers.

Remember the level of your audience and the fact that not everyone is thrilled by Puzzle Caches.

Simplicity will yield more visits and better results from an educational standpoint.

Personally if I was looking for variation I would provide the multiple choice questions..