loading multiple GPX files on Oregon

If this has been discussed elsewhere please point me to the correct thread -- I wasn't able to locate such a discussion before posting this.

I have a question about recognition of all waypoints when loading multiple GPX files on the Oregon (I have the Oregon 300). I created a GPX file containing my "permanent" waypoints -- coords to home, friends' houses, etc. I always load this file along with the fresh GPX file containing the caches for my day's run. I have noticed that sometimes the contents of the "permanent" waypoint file are not recognized after transferring both GPX files to the unit. There are approximately 20 waypoints in the "permanent" file and I usually load up about 1000 caches in the geocaching file. When transferring these GPX files I always place them into the GPX folder on the Oregon.

I did upgrade last week to firmware version 2.98; however, I have noticed this problem several times since I bought the unit and it has occurred since the update. Thus, I don't believe the update caused the problem but it did not resolve it either (my purpose in updating was to get some of the new features such as waypoint averaging). Isn't the Oregon supposed to read all the GPX files that are loaded into the GPX folder?

The only way that I have found to make sure that all my waypoints and caches are recognized is as follows:

1) reset all waypoints (to clean up the old junk) and power down

2) power up in mass storage mode and load up the permanent waypoint GPX, then power down

3) power up in GPS mode and let it read the waypoints (and verify that they're present), then power down

4) power up in mass storage mode and load up the GPX file containing caches, then power down

5) power up in GPS mode and double-check everything is there.

Obviously this is a rather tedious process. Am I doing something wrong procedurally that is causing this problem? Is there a way to resolve the problem?

Why do you reload the "permanent file" each time you update?

How did you create this file?

Are you using GSAK or other software to upload the GPX's?

The GPX file was generated with GSAK. Files are copied from my laptop to the Oregon after powering it up in mass storage mode.

The Oregon is kinda whacky on what it thinks are new gpx files at times.

The way i do it which circumvents this is to make the waypoints in GSAK as you have done, and export them to the Oregon as a Garmin POI file. Yoiu can have a custom icon as well then. You can find them under "where to.. POI...extras." and they are safe and snuggly from all gpx weirdness.

Waypoints end up in the current.gpx

If you delete waypoints from the Gps, via Reset delete waypoints, it deletes that waypoints and put a mark on the name of the file if the waypoints came from a file.

Therefore it wont load waypoint from the same file again, so you must have a new waypointfile name.

All .gpx files are seen intern and from SD, trackfiles left separate, but waypointfiles waypoints end all up mixed in the current.gpx

Home.gpx

friends.gpx

Houses.gpx

Now if you delete 1 or more of these files, they are still in the current.

The solution I think is make separate poisfiles of the separate files. When needed you put them on the sd else you can delete them, but more important, they don't mix.

Edited by splashy

Several suggestions for waypoint management on the x00 Oregons (the x50's work differently):

- Use the Garmin POIloader to create a set of permanent "waypoints".

- Use the GSAK export macro to export your child waypoints as POIs.

- That leaves your waypoint list for points marked on the GPS in the field.