Using TBs for charitable causes

BigCatMomma

I would like to set up a series of TBs that would travel back "home" for a charitable cause. Specifically, I want them to travel to my local Humane Society shelter, and with each one that returns I would make a donation to the shelter (and then send the bug back out on its mission). I see this as a fun way to combine caching with my desire to support this charitable cause.

How would I go about doing this? I've already talked with the shelter director and the shelter is "go" on the idea of hosting a cache where the bugs can be dropped off. I would drop the bugs in caches while on my travels and wait for them to arrive at the shelter (which is conveniently along my route of travel to and from work), stopping off to pick up any returned travelers and make the donation to the shelter. I'd probably leave a batch of swag at the shelter, also, for cachers bringing in TBs.

But again, the big question is how to go about doing this in the first place, given this won't be a strictly traditional cache. Should I just set up the cache and activate it and see what the reviewer says about it? Or is there a specific protocol for setting up a cache with the intent of supporting a charity?

The protocol for setting up a cache to support a specific charity is that it's not allowed within the cache listing Guidelines / Requirements for this site.

Have a good read through these guidelines before you start planning your new cache. The specific bit that I think will affect your idea for a placement says

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Now, I don't think there's anything that says you can't set up a cache in or near the Shelter grounds (assuming it meets all the other Guidelines as well) but you can't mention the Charity side of it all on the cache listing page. Your local reviewer would be able to give you further clarification about this, if you need it.

The good news is that you are allowed to set up TBs which mention/promote charities and also there's no restriction on putting charity related items into a cache for swag.

I hope you manage to set up something that's within the Guidelines and achieves your objective. :D

MrsB

I like the idea, and think it might work.

The cache is just a traditional cache that is near the shelter. No donation is required to find the cache, so you are fine there.

The TBs have a mission, and are free to mention the cache they want to go to and the fact that you will make a donation when they make it. Nice all around.

I would probably try to get that TB to that cache, and if I got it there, I might decide to make a donation too.

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

MrsB

In this case, though, I am not soliciting anything from anyone, nor will the shelter. I will be making the donation - not the person delivering the bug to the cache. And if someone wants to go to the cache without bug in hand and exchange items, they will be able to do so. (My plan is to fill the cache with pet-related swag, like squeaky toys, treats, etc.)

As I said (but maybe didn't make clear) in my original post, I see this as a way of combining caching activities with my personal desire to support the shelter. I would consider that anyone who drops off one of the TBs would be supporting the shelter vicariously through me, delivering it knowing a donation would be made. And given the number of TBs that I've already seen that have simply disappeared into apparently someone's personal souvenir stash, I would REALLY consider delivery of the TB a support of the shelter! (So far, I've only located perhaps a fifth of the TBs that are listed as being in caches!)

I would like to set up a series of TBs that would travel back "home" for a charitable cause. Specifically, I want them to travel to my local Humane Society shelter, and with each one that returns I would make a donation to the shelter (and then send the bug back out on its mission). I see this as a fun way to combine caching with my desire to support this charitable cause.

How would I go about doing this? I've already talked with the shelter director and the shelter is "go" on the idea of hosting a cache where the bugs can be dropped off. I would drop the bugs in caches while on my travels and wait for them to arrive at the shelter (which is conveniently along my route of travel to and from work), stopping off to pick up any returned travelers and make the donation to the shelter. I'd probably leave a batch of swag at the shelter, also, for cachers bringing in TBs.

But again, the big question is how to go about doing this in the first place, given this won't be a strictly traditional cache. Should I just set up the cache and activate it and see what the reviewer says about it? Or is there a specific protocol for setting up a cache with the intent of supporting a charity?

The bug is fine. Feel free to say whatever you want about the charity effort you are doing and you can just give instructions to make it back home. This is how I worded mine:

Current GOAL: My owner likes to take me on trips and release me to find my way home. Please try to get me back to Cedar Rapids, (Eastern) Iowa. Preferably Obi's Treat Cache (GCF059) . Thanks!

As for the cache you should just set it up as a normal traditional geocache available to everyone or just have the bug try to make to another cache close by.

The issue is in the cache soliciting. Soliciting doesn't always mean monetary donations.

For instance this cache probably would not be approved.

"This cache is on the grounds of Puppy Love Shelter. This is a great place to donate time and I spend lots of my own time here. Take a minute to walk inside and play with the dogs. Take one home if you have room."

While this cache would probably be fine.

"This cache is on private property with permission of the shelter owner Joe Rover. The cache is the goal for Travel Bugs "Big Dawg", "Soulful Eyes" and "Wet Papers" Thanks for visiting.

First description solicits, second does not.

Edited by webscouter.

The issue is in the cache soliciting. Soliciting doesn't always mean monetary donations.

For instance this cache probably would not be approved.

"This cache is on the grounds of Puppy Love Shelter. This is a great place to donate time and I spend lots of my own time here. Take a minute to walk inside and play with the dogs. Take one home if you have room."

While this cache would probably be fine.

"This cache is on private property with permission of the shelter owner Joe Rover. The cache is the goal for Travel Bugs "Big Dawg", "Soulful Eyes" and "Wet Papers" Thanks for visiting.

First description solicits, second does not.

Ah, this is very good advice, because I do want to make it clear that neither I nor the shelter will be soliciting from anyone.

It does seem like there is a very fine line between solicitation and non-solicitation. For instance, we have several caches in this area (and I've been to one of the 6 or 7) that plainly say they are designed to get more people to visit a particular state park, and of course there is an entrance fee. I went to one of them this weekend, and have to say I didn't mind paying the fee at all - it was a trip within this very large park that I'd not done before. And the cache was actually a hoot, with a hint being "Ask the rangers - they know where it is." After crisscrossing the area for about 20 minutes with another cacher, we finally went inside the gift shop where I held up my GPS to two smiling rangers and said, "OK - we give up. Where is it?" Turns out it's under their desk! They'd been watching us come to the door, move away, come to the door... and had already figured out why we were there.