Recommended charger for Eneloops?

Hi all,

I've been searching past posts re: NiMH batteries, and I think I'll try out the Sanyo Eneloops with my 60CSx. It seems folks really like them (have they advanced beyond 2000 mAh though?).

But from what I can tell (as a n00b to rechargeables), the batteries are only half the story. It appears the charger is key, as well.

Can someone recommend a charger that works both in home and in the car which won't fry the batteries and which will charge them at a decent rate (I don't NEED a 15 min charge, but I suppose it would be nice)?

Thanks in advance,

Comrade Ammocanov of the CLF.

I've been very happy with Maha Energy batteries and chargers.

Tests have shown that Maha's Imedion batteries are superior to the Sanyo Eneloops.

Well, it's comparing a 2100 mAh battery to a 2000 mAh one, and if you notice, the ampere-hour drop is only a 12 mAh difference between the two for 3 months. Regardless, some people say otherwise. Also, they're only $7 for a four pack at hhgregg which wins in the convenience factor for me (also usually available at Costco for $20 including 8 AA, 4 AAA, and C/D cell adapters).

You can't beat the LA CROSSE BC-900. I finally broke down and bought one when on sale a year or so ago. It works great. It rejuvenated batteries that were 7 years old. They are still used and work great. I didn't realize how bad mine had gotten until I put them on the LaCrosse.

Does this charger work natively in the car ie, without an inverter?

mm

Not accordingly to the FAQ link underneath the product image.

I'm wondering why you need to use it in the car so badly. The LaCrosse can charge super fast and batteries are cheap enough that you can have extras.

What's wrong with the charger Sanyo makes for the Eneloops? It doesn't work in the car, but otherwise mine has been doing an OK job.

I thought the same thing about the charger that came with my hybrids. (Rayovac) It was amazing how the mAh went from 600-800 before to back over 2000 when I put them on the LaCrosse.

I've been very happy with Maha Energy batteries and chargers.

Tests have shown that Maha's Imedion batteries are superior to the Sanyo Eneloops.

Well, it's comparing a 2100 mAh battery to a 2000 mAh one, and if you notice, the ampere-hour drop is only a 12 mAh difference between the two for 3 months. Regardless, some people say otherwise. Also, they're only $7 for a four pack at hhgregg which wins in the convenience factor for me (also usually available at Costco for $20 including 8 AA, 4 AAA, and C/D cell adapters).
Both are AA Low Discharge NiMH batteries that are readily available, so I think the comparison is fair. Also, the whole point of low discharge batteries is the fact that they don't lose their charge as fast as typical NiMH batteries, and the test that Lil Devil linked to tested power loss over time. The test you linked to (camera flash) is not similar to GPS usage, so it doesn't really apply when trying to decide on which rechargeable GPS batteries to get.

I found it interesting that the Imedion batteries have about the same power output after sitting for 3 months as the Eneloops have after sitting for 1 hour. I think I might have to get some of those Imedion batteries.

--Marky

Both are AA Low Discharge NiMH batteries that are readily available, so I think the comparison is fair. Also, the whole point of low discharge batteries is the fact that they don't lose their charge as fast as typical NiMH batteries, and the test that Lil Devil linked to tested power loss over time. The test you linked to (camera flash) is not similar to GPS usage, so it doesn't really apply when trying to decide on which rechargeable GPS batteries to get.

I found it interesting that the Imedion batteries have about the same power output after sitting for 3 months as the Eneloops have after sitting for 1 hour. I think I might have to get some of those Imedion batteries.

--Marky

No, not really. One's only available online and costs twice as much, and the other is readily available at the store. And like I said, obviously one's going to be less when it starts off with 100 mAh less, but the similarity in capacity drop is within the margin of error.