Garmin Rino

I've searched through all of the forums and have not found one reference to the Rino. I'd love any feedback anyone would be willing to share. After doing some of my own research, it appears the Rino 530HCx is the only Rino with geocaching capability. Retail it's $499. However, if you want to check it out, it has some AMAZING features...such as a 2-way radio and the ability to spot all other Rino users within a 5-mile radius!

Please, tell me what you think.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146

I've searched through all of the forums and have not found one reference to the Rino. I'd love any feedback anyone would be willing to share. After doing some of my own research, it appears the Rino 530HCx is the only Rino with geocaching capability. Retail it's $499. However, if you want to check it out, it has some AMAZING features...such as a 2-way radio and the ability to spot all other Rino users within a 5-mile radius!

About 25 pages here to choose from.

I own the 520hcx, which is missing the 530's compass and altimeter. I love the gps unit. Durable, great battery life. Both of these units claim to support geocaching; however, it depends on Garmins crappy communicator software which doesn't work on all computers. Thumbs up for the rino, thumbs down for the garmin software.

Also, don't get too excited about "all rino users within a 5 mile radius". There aren't many of us, but it is great if you and a hiking partner have one.

edit: It should sell well below retail at a site like newegg or buydig. I got my 520 from buydig.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

I have a 530hcx and LOVE it!

For geocaching it works awesome and combined with all the features on it (WX stations and barometer) you can keep an eye on the weather.

I have had mine for a little over a year and still finding new features on it. (send a text to another rino!?)

If you get one it will not disappoint.

Keep in mind you will need to buy mapping software for it, another $100.

If you're out caching/hunting with someone else with a Rino, then it's great, because of the 2-way radio. But if you're going out solo, no real benefit of the Rino over any other handheld. Although my friend has one for hunting, and with routeable maps on it, it can give verbal turn-by-turn driving directions instead of beeps like the other Garmin handhelds, since it has a speaker on it, unlike the rest of them.

We have three Rino 530HCx and love them. They work fine absolutely fine for geocaching (although I must admit that I prefer my Oregon 400t due to its paperless caching).

With the Rino's we let the kids go geocaching on a "long" leash. The are allowed to go out by themselves. They can talk to us if they need help and we can see their location on our unit's screen. So far we didn't tell the kids about the "poll" function and they believe we can only see their position if they talk to us (because that is their experience that our position or their sibling's position is only updated whenever we talk).

It is interesting when they don't answer on the radio and claim afterwards they were out of range - although we could poll their location and thus know they were clearly in range.

So if you have kids or other people you go out with I would recommend to buy Rinos - in general it makes only sense if you buy at least two.

I bought a pair of the 120 Rino's several years ago. I am not impressed. If you get so much as a small rise between you, you cannot talk anymore. Even if you are just a few hundred feet apart. Thick trees and brush = same result. I cache a lot in hilly areas so the value was just not there.

We live in Northern California. So the terrain differs between open hills with some oak trees to lots of redwoods in deep canyons. As a result the range differs a lot. The best I have ever experienced was 5 miles while finding a geocache on a top of a mountain. The worst was less then a mile in redwoods down at a creek looking for a geocache. Usually we are still able to send/receive text messages when we can't understand each other any longer talking on the Rino. That gives some extra margin when slowly getting out of range.

Orienteering-

What kind of terrain have you used them in?