A Question regarding Hiding a cache/expierience

dawsonfamily

We've been geocachers for over a month now and have already hidden 3 geocaches as part of a series. We have found just over 30 geocaches. Now our question is, is there some sort of ratio of cache finds to hides as proper etiquiette? For example, should it be something like 10 cache finds to one hide, or 100:1? Also, as geocachers would you be fine with a relatively new geocacher like me hiding quite a few caches? Is it considered wrong for someone to hide multiple caches when they have'nt found many, or do you love any new geocaches and say go for it? Please give your opinion.

10:1 is a reasonable ratio. I wouldn't get too carried away with hiding right off the bat though - take some time to get acclimatized to what works with caches and what doesn't.

The other thing about hides is that you're responsible for maintaining them them. Don't hide more than you can support in the long run.

Some have thousands of finds and only one or two caches. Others have thousands of hides. Do what feels good and don't worry about. If you feel you can only manage three caches, then only hide three. As far as new geocacher hiding caches, do worry. But it is nice to get a bit more experience to see what you like and develop some ideas for hides. Have fun and don't worry about the numbers.

Jim

Hiding adds another facet to geocaching that has its own benefits. I happen to really enjoy researching a potential hide spot, thinking about a unique and memorable container and a name for it, going out and placing it, then creating a fun cache page. The fun continues when you get appreciative and interesting log entries.

There is no set "ratio" to maintain. Mine is currently 7.4 finds per hide, but at one time it was 5 or 6. I've seen lower ratios, and I've also seen cachers with 1,000 finds that haven't hidden any.

Placing hides is the flipside of finding. There would be no finds without hides, and placing hides are a way to contribute to the sport to everyone's benefit - "giving back" to the sport. The cachers who have a gazillion finds and no, or few hides are taking more out of the sport than they're putting back, in my opinion.

On the other hand, there is a downside to cachers feeling they must put hides out there, but don't really want to. The result is usually really crappy hides that are so unimaginative they look like they've been tossed from the window of a moving vehicle. I've found caches where instead of a container, it was just a scrap of paper in a small baggie. One find was a cut-down post-it note pad shoved inside a balloon and stuffed in a crack inside a dark storm drainage tunnel :D Don't hide just for the sake of increasing your hide numbers. Make it interesting and put some care into the hide location, and the container. Make it a somewhat scenic spot with something unique or interesting for the finder to enjoy.

The other thing about hides is that you're responsible for maintaining them them. Don't hide more than you can support in the long run.
Very true. There is some work involved in maintaining hides - log replacements, repairs, even total replacements when a muggle or a small animal makes off with the container. I've had maybe 4 hides where the cache has gone missing because of muggles, and another 3 where little animals have kyped the container. I've also had nature destroy a hide or two. These all require a return visit to the hide to correct the situation.

But hiding can be just as fun as finding. If you feel mischievous, make a hide a multicache with a puzzle that must be solved for the first stage coordinates. One cache I placed had the finder solve for the missing vertex of an equilateral triangle. Another has them looking up local facts on Wikipedia to get the coordinates. Here's a portion of the puzzle part:

Here are the clues to find Stage One:

N35 AB.CDE

W106 FG.HIJ

A =First digit of the year Kirtland AFB was established

B =First digit of the year the Romans invaded and settled the area

C =Second digit of the year General Sibley made his stand during his retreat

D =Second digit of the 2007 population of the city proper (not metro area)

E =Sum of all the digits of the year Alvarado Transportation Center was built on the site of the old Alvarado Hotel

It's easily done once you have the hide coordinates. Not everyone likes puzzle caches, and it won't get the activity a traditional will, but there are some who absolutely love the extra challenge.

A multicache is another variety that adds some challenge. You can make it a multistage with each stage within walking distance of each other, but with progressively more difficult stages. Or you can combine a puzzle with a multi by requiring solving a puzzle at each stage in order to get the coordinates for the next. The possibilities are endless ;)

...is there some sort of ratio of cache finds to hides as proper etiquiette? ...

Hell no.

Hide what you are inspired to hide and can maintain. If that's none, or 100, you are good to go.

There are a lot of ways to give back in this activity. Pack out trash as you cache. Work with the local governments and land managers to keep caching thriving in your community (if needed). Write good logs, be a cache angle and replace full logs etc.

Your muse will tell you what you should be doing. So relax and enjoy.

There is no proper ratio. Some like to hide and some like to find. For a long time I kept a find to hide ratio of around 2-1, but it was unrealistic to keep that up once my finds got into the hundreds. Now its closer to 3-1. But that's fine for me, but not necessarily everyone. Do what feels right to you.

As far as a novice placing lots of caches, I can assure you that well thougt out caches in interesting areas with quality containers are always welcome, no matter how new the hider is.

Edited by briansnat

I pretty much agree with what has been said. There are 2 parts to this hobby...finding & hiding...ANY geocacher should do BOTH, if he/she is interested in both. I enjoy both, so I do both. I don't worry about a ratio, but I also try to put some imagination into my hides, even if that means only hiding a few.

I try to always keep this phrase in mind, found on this web-site, "there is no precedent for placing caches". And that works both ways. The hobby is still evolving. Because it was done some way last year, doesn't mean it's okay to do it this year. However, just because it's NEVER been done some way, doesn't necessarily mean that it SHOULDN'T be done that way....common sense applying to any situation of course.

If a finder doesn't hide, not only is he missing out on half the fun, but he's keeping other geo'ers from having more caches to hunt. But of course if a new person (like me) doesn't feel comfortable yet with hiding, then by all means wait a while. But NO ONE can tell you exactly how long that wait should be.

I get a big laugh out of some statements that some make..."A person shouldn't hide anything until they have made 100 finds". But then you go look at their history & they only had 25 finds by the time they had 10 hides.

Do it however you enjoy it most, just keeping in mind to always strive to increase the "quality" of the sport. Everyone will do just fine that way.

As others have said, only place them if you can maintain them, and one memorable cache is worth 10 light pole skirts.

That being said though, I was introduced a few months back to caching karma. It's based on the number of FINDS your caches have, compared to YOUR finds. Right now mine is in the dirt, my caches have 100 finds compared to my 500 finds. I would like to have my caches have more finds than I have.

That being said though, I was introduced a few months back to caching karma. It's based on the number of FINDS your caches have, compared to YOUR finds. Right now mine is in the dirt, my caches have 100 finds compared to my 500 finds. I would like to have my caches have more finds than I have.
To increase your "caching karma" (as measured by this formula), you just need to place a few 1/1 caches. Lots of people will find them, and your "caching karma" will increase.