HELP Newb question about the 60CSx and Colorado 300

jks599

I know this has been asked a million times so I appreciate your patience and help. I did a lot of google searches and read there were a lot of problems with the Colorado 300 so I bought the 60CSx yesterday. However I cant get the 300 out of my head and Im just wondering if now that many updates have been sent out for the 300 if its a better unit.

We are new to GPS and geocaching. Its so much fun and want to get the most out of it. We also have a Jeep and trail ride a lot so a unit that I can map trails on would be a plus too.

It appears the 300 has a lot better maps or look to the maps. I also like that you can download all the info about a cache into the unit.

With all the updates will the 300 not eventually be newer better technology than the 60CSx thats been out for a while now?

Before its to late should I return the 60 and get the 300?

Thanks for the help guys!

I had a Colorado 400t for a while, and returned it for a 60CSx and have never looked back. Its the Gold Standard in Garmin's line (well, it *should* have been a standard to Garmin when designing the Colorado and Oregon, but I guess they didn't realize it). Some of the bells & whistles on the Colorado were nice, but quickly forgotten in light of the snappy and confident location information the 60 provides.

That's one opinion, many others will follow, I'm sure.

PS: My sole use of the GPS is for geocaching. That is an important part of any GPS comparison.

I just got back from bestbuy, bought the 60CSx for 329$, the colorado was 299$. I havnt opened it yet. Something was telling me in my head to get the colorado.

LOL me too. From what has been said here and on other forums (Jeep related) it appears the 60CSx is the better choice. Unless someone here has a better argument I will most likely keep the 60.

From what ive seen the colorado is best for paperless caching. But cant you just send all the gpx files to the 60CSx from this site so you wouldnt need paper for it either? right

Someone told me that but Im not sure how to do it. I tried to do a search but being new to this and not knowing exactly what to search for I couldnt find it. If anyone cares to give the instructions or point to the appropriate thread I would appreciate it.

From what ive seen the colorado is best for paperless caching. But cant you just send all the gpx files to the 60CSx from this site so you wouldnt need paper for it either? right

The 60CSx does NOT do paperless geocaching... you will still need to have a PDA or print the cache pages out. Some people may still look at it as the "gold standard", but if the only reason for owning a GPSr is for geocaching, go with a Colorado or an Oregon. The paperless caching alone is worth the purchase.

As Red90 said, the 60CSx is now a dinosaur in terms of the Garmin product line. My Colorado 300 has been rock sold since I got it back in December and I plan on upgrading soon to the Oregon 550 once it comes down a bit in price.

I'd recommend an Oregon over the Colorado. The touch screen interface is great. But the 60CSx will likely give you more accurate tracks for marking trails, especially if they are under canopy.

Yeah i wanted the oregon but it was 200$ more than colorado at best buy. The wheel works perfect for me. Reminds me of my blackberry.