Merced PD blew up a geocache

ShowStop

Hummm. Can't say I've ever seen this cache (nor any others that have been shot). Regardless0, another fine example of the bomb squad saving a bush from a potential terrorist! ;)

Oh, I think I heard a challenge but I could be wrong.

...We have more explosives that we do Geocaches...
:D Just kidding of course. We really don't like them wasting their time nor explosives on our caches. In fact, it would be nice to talk to someone if it would help them. There are boat loads of Geocaches in Merced - I'd say in the hundreds. I'm sure they out arm our caches but not our McToys! [Freeze or the Travel Bug gets it!] :anicute: Edited by Green Achers
We blew it up, singed a bit of scrap. TFTC & bomb scare."

Akem... Looks to me like the Log Sheet was unharmed (in the video at least). Could it be they actually missed their point blank shot?! ;)

MER_p0716_p16_cache2.standalone.prod_affiliate.129.JPG

BTW, I understand that one of local Geocachers (>5000 finds, >100 hides, 0 bomb squad inquires) met with these police to educate them in Geocaching (and let them know there's more than two caches in Merced). We haven't heard back from him since. [Oh, well!] :laughing::D

Edited by Green Achers
We blew it up, singed a bit of scrap. TFTC & bomb scare."

Akem... Looks to me like the Log Sheet was unharmed (in the video at least). Could it be they actually missed their point blank shot?! :P

MER_p0716_p16_cache2.standalone.prod_affiliate.129.JPG

BTW, I understand that one of local Geocachers (>5000 finds, >100 hides, 0 bomb squad inquires) met with these police to educate them in Geocaching (and let them know there's more than two caches in Merced). We haven't heard back from him since. [Oh, well!] ;):D

I briefed the Merced Police Department folks twice today, shift changes at 6 am and 6 pm.

I don't think any of the officers had more than a vague understanding of the sport.

They really don't want to interfere with our fun, but did have a few requests:

a] When possible, put the word "Geocache" or a Geocache sticker on the outside of your container.

b] Avoid using pipes or pipe parts as your container; pipe bombs are the biggest local threat.

c] Remember that "electronic looking" things, and wires do look suspicious. Avoid them.

One thing that surfaced, that I hadn't really thought of was that a crazy person could easily:

Put a bomb inside an ammo can or other container.

Place a geocache sticker on the outside.

And cause total havoc.

So, the PD will always take the conservative approach. Even if it is labeled as a geocache, they

will use all caution to protect the public. As they should.

Overall, the guys and gals seemed interested in the sport; some thought like it sounded like fun. B):D