Ink & Lamination

:) I have a multi-cache with a number of waypoints. I give the Geocacher the co-ords to #1, and each location has a "waypoint-tag" nailed to a tree with the co-ords to the next, till finally one finds the ammo-box at the end.

Problem: after about 9-months the ink is fading and one tag has a bit of moisture in it.

Question: any suggestions as to "fade-proof ink" and weather-resistant plastic-lamination film?

Thanks!

:) I have a multi-cache with a number of waypoints. I give the Geocacher the co-ords to #1, and each location has a "waypoint-tag" nailed to a tree with the co-ords to the next, till finally one finds the ammo-box at the end.

Problem: after about 9-months the ink is fading and one tag has a bit of moisture in it.

Question: any suggestions as to "fade-proof ink" and weather-resistant plastic-lamination film?

Thanks!

Oh, have I got the solution for you!

Get a piece of plastic and write on it with a sharpie. Then just take a piece of packing tape and cover it. Use a brayer or bone (tools of the trade, not a chicken bone or anything. The back of your thumbnail will work also) to push the tape firmly onto the plastic.

If you go down to your local Wal-Mart they often have a dog tag engraving machine inside. You can type anything you want and it will be engraved into the dog tag. No fading and pretty darn durable.

Also note that someone is bound to come into this thread and give you grief for using nails on the tree, not me, but someone.

You should never nail into live trees.

Unless you want to attach something to it.

*snicker*

The government body who is responsible to managing trees on public land in my town uses nails to attach tags to the tree. I don't know much about the issue, but apparently they decided it was low-risk.

eating-trees-special-edition-collection-virtual-trading-card-02-of-10-the-forbidden-sign.jpg

I think a sign-eating tree is going to eat nails as a warm-up snack. :)

Actually, I'm curious. Apparently, over here, all the really old trees have a metallic tag nailed to them by some government agency or other. Not saying it is right for us to do it, just that if they're doing it to trees they want to protect, it can't be that bad for the tree.

Then again, this is the government we're talking about, so maybe I shouldn't leap to such conclusions.

Nails don't hurt trees despite what all those meat eaters say. I am sick of them whining because trees have feelings and "meat was meant to be eaten" and all those carnivorous rally's they hold.

There is nothing wrong with eating plants and nothing wrong with nailing a sign to a tree. They don't feel it, otherwise they would scream when you started hammering the nail in.

Actually, I'm curious. Apparently, over here, all the really old trees have a metallic tag nailed to them by some government agency or other. Not saying it is right for us to do it, just that if they're doing it to trees they want to protect, it can't be that bad for the tree.

Then again, this is the government we're talking about, so maybe I shouldn't leap to such conclusions.

Q: Does nailing something to a tree hurt the tree?

— Maggie, age 9

A. Good question. Generally, no, something the size of a nail hammered into a tree won't hurt it. The nail would most likely be inserted about an inch to an inch and a half into the bark. "The tree should compartmentalize and heal the wound around it," says Grant Jones, technical advisor with Davey Tree Company in Kent, Ohio.

Where there might be cause for concern, Jones says, is with trees that are young and small or have signs of existing decay or pest problems.

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/qa-do-nail...rees/index.html

Totally agree, council, state forests, National Parks and wildlife organisations all use nails in the trees to post signage all around the area, if it was bad with the tree im sure conservationist like the above i mentioned would not use them. Oh don't eat carrots you can hear them screem... umm or is that corn? :)

Nails don't hurt trees despite what all those meat eaters say.

Actually, the various metal platings on some nails can be toxic to trees.

But that's not really what matters. If the tree you nail into is ever logged the nails can represent a serious danger to forestry workers on site as well as at the mill. That's the reason.

But that's not really what matters. If the tree you nail into is ever logged the nails can represent a serious danger to forestry workers on site as well as at the mill. That's the reason.

Balderdash!

The mills no longer have humans close enough to the blades to allow this to happen. A small nail, say a 16p wouldn't do damage to a sawmill, or the people operating it.

I suppose a case could be made for the billion to one possibility but there are far more likely scenarios that are not even connected to nails in trees.

Now if you hammer a railroad spike into a tree, thats a different story.

Balderdash!

The mills no longer have humans close enough to the blades to allow this to happen. A small nail, say a 16p wouldn't do damage to a sawmill, or the people operating it.

I suppose a case could be made for the billion to one possibility but there are far more likely scenarios that are not even connected to nails in trees.

Now if you hammer a railroad spike into a tree, thats a different story.

and even so, the mills metal detector will find it before it gets to the saw.

Nails don't hurt trees despite what all those meat eaters say. I am sick of them whining because trees have feelings and "meat was meant to be eaten" and all those carnivorous rally's they hold.

There is nothing wrong with eating plants and nothing wrong with nailing a sign to a tree. They don't feel it, otherwise they would scream when you started hammering the nail in.

Nails generally don't hurt trees but its a moot point because the guidelines don't allow it. If you use a nail in a tree and tell your reviewer, it will not be published. If you get it past the reviewer and he finds out, it will be archived. End of story.

To get back on topic, I print coords on National Geographic Adventure paper on my inkjet printer. Some have lasted many years as long as I stick with black ink. Other colors, particularly red have faded and become illegible.

A ball point pen on NGAP also stands the test of time. Of course the paper needs to placed in a sealed container.

If you are looking for a way to attach coords without a container (and without using nails in trees), try these

copper plant tags They are shiny at first, but develop a nice patina soon and become well camouflaged.

an101s1b.jpg

Edited by briansnat