I am new... HELP!

acegirl906

I have never found a GeoCach and also I am new. I need some tips too... I don't have a GPS and I don't know what they look like... I have tried finding one but then when I looked it up I saw 5 "diddn't find it" 's in a row so I figured it was gone. Anyway I don't have a GPS and have never seen one so I can't find much at all. Please help! (also any tips for the Gps thing? I can't buy one.)

I have never found a GeoCach and also I am new. I need some tips too... I don't have a GPS and I don't know what they look like... I have tried finding one but then when I looked it up I saw 5 "diddn't find it" 's in a row so I figured it was gone. Anyway I don't have a GPS and have never seen one so I can't find much at all. Please help! (also any tips for the Gps thing? I can't buy one.)

If you mean you don't know what a cache container looks like, then try this.

As far as not buying one, I guess you can borrow one from a friend or check one out from the city rec department. Used ones are cheap, as cheap as $40-50. Until then you can paste coordinates into maps.google.com and cache that way.

Edited by fratermus

Advise from another newbie :) ... to start Geocaching you don't need a GPS at all.

Select a "reasonable" cache:

a) regular size (not nano, neither micros)

b ) on a known area

c) few DNF and lots of Finds

d) clear spoilers (pictures, descriptions)

e) read ALL logs, not only last five! to get a clear idea where it is and how it looks

Download the LOC file.

Drop the LOC file into Google Earth

Print the satellite image with the maximum detail

... and go for it.

Once you have found 10 or 12 ... you will have to decide if it's worth for you to buy a GPS, become a premium meber etc, but first try to find and enjoy.

<_<

Edited by DeepButi

I am very new myself but will gladly share what I have gleened thus far.

GPS (or GPS'r) refers to a handheld device which gets information from sattelites to pinpoint your current location. A GPS can be programmed to show you where a chache is hidden.

Familiar names are "garmin" and "magellin". There are others. Google either of those two words and you should at least see a picture to get you started.

I bought my GPS unit on craigslist for $25. I looked to see what folks had for sale, then put that brand of unit in my google and read the reviews. This helped me determine which unit I wanted to buy.

You want a handheld unit, not one that is meant to be on your car's dashboard.

For more help, you can read this:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx

Hope this helps!

J

If you mean you don't know what a cache container looks like, then try this.

As far as not buying one, I guess you can borrow one from a friend or check one out from the city rec department. Used ones are cheap, as cheap as $40-50. Until then you can paste coordinates into maps.google.com and cache that way.

While you CAN "paste coordinates into map.google.com", it is a whole lot easier to use the link to "Google Maps" link already provided on the cache web page. Map links are found near the bottom of the page, just before the logs.

Opps, we just discovered that this option is only available to Premium Members--we didn't realize that until now. So, if you are not one, the map links section won't even appear for you.

Edited by Knight-Errant

Thank you! But I can't find any regular size because everything I look for is micro.

While regular size caches can be somewhat rare, we would still recommend you start searching for regular and small size caches first. Once you get a better feel for finding them, move on to the micros.

Also, as previously mentioned, take advantage of the local events and the opportunity to interact with other cachers.

Try and look for caches hidden in parks of hiking trails as they're actually easier to find. Once in the area (Ground Zero), look for things that look out of place - a pile of sticks or rocks, a branch stuck in a tree hollow (it's holding the cache in there.) Get a few finds to build your confidence and geosense. Last, take a few deep breaths, relax and you'll get it.

Welcome to geocaching :(