New York State Wildlife Management Areas

New York Admin

For 6 years now we have not been permitted to place a geocache on lands managed by NYS DEC Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources (New York State Wildlife Management Areas). Today this has all changed thanks to the efforts of two geocachers, snowfreak37 and dirtfan. They have been working with the Director Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources on behalf of all geocachers in New York to once again open this valuable geocaching resource to geocaching.

There are however a few specific limitations put in place by the Director. Most importantly, and this will address all the rest, before a geocache may be placed the Regional Wildlife Manager for that area must approve it in writing. Its important you save that letter, scan and upload it to a reviewer note on your cache page during submission. Without a copy of the letter of approval reviewers will not be able to publish your cache.

The letter from the Director of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources allowing us to once again place goecaches in New York State Wildlife Management Areas may be viewed here.

This is a giant leap forward for us with there being 85 Wildlife Management Areas in New York State comprising of more than 200,000 acres.

As always New York State land issues may be found in my profile.

NOTE: Please cross post this note in all local geocaching forums and mailing lists.

Thanks a lot to snowfreak37 & dirtfan!!! :D

NY Admin do you have contact info for the regional land managers or could you post one here or on your profile.

Thanks!

A list of regions may be found on NYS DEC website here. Clicking on any of the 9 regions will take you to a page with phone number, email link and snail mail address on the right for that region. I just added this information to the list in my profile so it will be easy to find as this thread scrolls away.

A big thanks for the work put in by Snowfreak37 and Dirtfan and a thanks to the bureaucrats in DEC for being able to listen to reason and accept geocaching as a legitimate recreational activity.

It won't change much because I think most geocachers would rather slap a hide a key on strip mall loading dock than jump through the hoops necessary to place a cache in these areas, but at least we now have the option. A great accomplishment in the end.

It won't change much because I think most geocachers would rather slap a hide a key on strip mall loading dock than jump through the hoops necessary to place a cache in these areas, but at least we now have the option. A great accomplishment in the end.

I expect you're right. But I think there will be a few nice quality caches appearing soon! :D I've already got a few spots picked out where I had caches rejected several years ago. That danged Otis Pike had pieces of his Preserve all over the place! :)