paperless sans pocket queries

NexusDivine

Ive recently gotten back into Geocaching and I was wondering if there was a way to download the cache page without using pocket queries (so no GSAK or plucker/spinner) as I dont have the money.

I use cachemate (best. thing. ever.) but I need something that will get the WHOLE page instead of just the minor details that a .LOC holds.

again, I dont have the money for the geocaching.com premium so I cant get .GPX or pocket queries

$30 per year averages out to just $2.50 per month. About the same as a single gallon of gas. Thats not too much.

And - no - I don't know a way to do it without being a PM.

unfortunately, I dont have a job ATM so I cant even use that...

Maybe you picked the wrong way to start. You could have got a premium membership for 3mo/$10, instead of paying $10 for cachemate. You could easily find a freeware substitute for cachemate (with some differences).

There's no workaround here. Good luck!

I suppose you could save the cache page itself and open in on a browser if you have a laptop. You may not have any photos, but the text will show up. For the vast majority of caches, that's enough.

Or you could cut and paste any text into some kind of software that you could upload to a portable device.

But there's no way to get a whole slew of coords into a GPS that I know of without a PQ.

It really isn't that much money. But if caching is important enough to you, just budget for it and the month it comes due the next year eat out one less time or put off buying that other frivolity that you've had your eye on for another month.

Also, depending on how often you cache you can extend your membership a bit. I first subscribed in early February. Now it comes due in mid-March. What I did was let my subscription lapse and renewed it only right before caching if I wasn't going out for a few days after it lapsed. Like last year, my subscription expired and that day we got several inches of snow. I ended up not doing any caching for a week and a half after that, so I waited a week and a half to renew.

You can also get a Pm for a single month. Load up on caches, and wait 2 or 3. Sure, some will go offline and some new ones won't be seen, but for me it's still a long time to work through 1500 caches.

I don't think the single month membership is offered any longer.

Assuming that the OP's logged finds is indicative of how often he intends to be geocaching, the alternative would be :

1. Download LOC

2. Convert them to GPX format. Both are XML, so it should be a straightforward mapping. This thread may have suggestions.

3. Manually type in the description / hints

4. Upload to cachemate.

I'm assuming that this is all within the TOU because you are not using automated tools by typing it in manually (especially if you summarize it when doing so), and the TOU explicitly states that the user can modify / merge the data. However, I am not a lawyer and all that, so feel free to correct me.

Ive recently gotten back into Geocaching and I was wondering if there was a way to download the cache page without using pocket queries (so no GSAK or plucker/spinner) as I dont have the money.

I use cachemate (best. thing. ever.) but I need something that will get the WHOLE page instead of just the minor details that a .LOC holds.

again, I dont have the money for the geocaching.com premium so I cant get .GPX or pocket queries

You can download GSAK with out paying for the software. After 21 days you start getting a NAG screen. The time gets longer for the NAG screen the longer you use the program. But if you can deal with the NAG screen and waiting the time, you still have it for free. When you finally get a job you could always pay for the program, then you have all the updates available to you and best of all you get rid of the NAG screen.

Good luck with the job hunt.

Without being a PM you can't get a GPX file though. Maybe some really nice soul out there in cyberspace will give you a "gift" membership. You can always hope............