New Notifications

canpaddle

Have been wondering why of if there is a reason I get some new notifications when others are posted well within my mileage area. Some days for example I may get email saying there are two new ones posted 50 miles away, and a few days later I may get on the email the weekly notices and there are say eight others newly posted within the mileage range I have set but did not get notified by email.

Is there a reason for this? I have noticed other logs at times saying for some reason they were not aware of a particular new posted cache either.

Thanks

One quick and easy way to check for new postings in your area is to have a PQ set up for them and then save the link in you favorites. Just click the link every once in awhile to see if anything new in your area. This will also help you to see if any of them have been found yet for that possible FTF.

Who is your email provider?

Do you just pick the town you live in and make a area of say 80 miles for puzzle cache traditional caches and multil caches size any container not been found of any type?

Or when making it have one for each type unknown 80 miles, traditional 80 miles, and multi 80 miles??

I have never really understood PQ set ups have tried found not helpful, dont fully understand them but I still get new noticications on my yahoo email, but not all of the new ones get listed for my set up

I've been having this problem too over the last week or two...missing notifications of new caches, they show in the PQ's and I get notifications of other things like archived caches or updates to caches but several people I know have not gotten notifications of newly published caches.

I checked with my e-mail provider att/yahoo and the spam filter is off, has been off, will remain off, so I suspect it's a Groundspeak issue. Is it possible that new caches where the owner posts a note are being excluded from the new cache notifications?

Sometimes I think that too because often when the cache is published the owner posts a note saying TB drop or something like forgot to mention bring pencil or something like that.

Wonder if that that makes a difference or not. Or when its posted someone else says a note something like thats clever or similiar. I wonder if the posting the notes after its published has anything to do with it??

I checked with my e-mail provider att/yahoo and the spam filter is off, has been off, will remain off, so I suspect it's a Groundspeak issue. Is it possible that new caches where the owner posts a note are being excluded from the new cache notifications?

Actually - Yahoo has been known to throttle the rate they will accept the email from Groundspeak and/or block the emails altogether. It has nothing to do with any spam filters or settings that an end user can control. I don't know if that is the current issue but it has happened many times in the past.

Try a gmail account for Groundspeak emails - many users report that those just work better for getting 100% of your geocaching emails.

Actually - Yahoo has been known to throttle the rate they will accept the email from Groundspeak and/or block the emails altogether. It has nothing to do with any spam filters or settings that an end user can control. I don't know if that is the current issue but it has happened many times in the past.

Try a gmail account for Groundspeak emails - many users report that those just work better for getting 100% of your geocaching emails.

StarBrand can you expand some on what you just said? "What is gmail account for Groundspeak emails??"

StarBrand can you expand some on what you just said? "What is gmail account for Groundspeak emails??"

Gmail is a free e-mail service provided by Google. A lot of Geocachers use this service to receive e-mail from geocaching.com. I have never heard of any issues receiving mail through them, but then again I don't constantly browse the forums.

Gmail is a free e-mail service provided by Google. A lot of Geocachers use this service to receive e-mail from geocaching.com. I have never heard of any issues receiving mail through them, but then again I don't constantly browse the forums.

I check the email on my phone and am conected that way the email is set up to get new notifications through GC.COM but checking the fourms not sure what that is but is it through Groundspeak fourms?

I use Road Runner for my e-mails. Never had an issue getting notification e-mails (Finds, DNF's, new publications, PQ's). Road Runner is my ISP. They've always been pretty good even when I log on and see that I have 100 e-mails coming in.

I do have a question here though. Among the boxes that I check on the type of notification that I want to get, a note log is not among those choices. Many times someone leaves a note for a TB drop or whatever and they don't show up in my notification unless I'm watching that particular cache. I don't like putting a cache on my watch list because then I get a double e-mail - one from the watch list and one from the notification. The only time a cache is on my watch list is if it is outside my notification area. So sometimes I miss getting a TB because someone else already grabbed it.

I would like to request "Notes" as part of a notification. Thank you

-Todd

Edited by todd300

I've been having this problem too over the last week or two...missing notifications of new caches, they show in the PQ's and I get notifications of other things like archived caches or updates to caches but several people I know have not gotten notifications of newly published caches.

I have this problem since a couple of weeks. Some notifications are received, others are not. my email provider is GMX (a rather european / german one). I would really like to hear officially that it is NO issue at the GC side. We all pay for that feature, so we expect it to work. If it's a provider issue, GC must talk to the providers. It's not really acceptable that we are forced to use certain providers to have full functionality... :rolleyes: