I'm looking at 3 different units..

JohnFL

Hey there I'm trying to decided on a gps for hunting/camping/hiking...

I have to stay around $300.

I have been reading everything I can my eye's on..lol

Where I hunt here in Florida , can be super thick swamps in pretty heavy tree canopy...

The 3 I'm looking at...

Colorado 300

60CSx

and the Delorme PN 40

The only advantage I can see with the Delorme is being able to possibly see property lines

with the aerial views...

I read that the back door on the Colorado can be a pain , and not sure if I can download the free Florida Topo from gpsfiledepot. ?

I like what I read about the 60csx but it lacks a detailed view I'm assuming.

Sorry about the dumb questions , all I ever used is my little blue etrex..It is the basic one from a few years ago...I don't think its cutting the mustard any more..lol

I'd be very happy to see what this forum thinks.

thanks in advanced , John

If those are your choices then I'd probably recommend the 60CSx because of it's excellent reception ability under heavy tree cover. After all, that's the "most important" quality of any GPSr, right?

Who cares if a unit has a "three dimensional holographic virtual reality TOPO mode" if it can't get a signal? :unsure:

I'm in the PN-40 camp, a GREAT unit with reception even in the thick tree cover, is capable of paperless caching (completely paperless including ability to log caches via field notes), auto-routes and yes, the aerial imagery availability is AWESOME!

Signal strength truly is a must, especially in tree cover...the PN has been very reliable for me even in the thickest of coverage while paddling down the rivers here in Michigan...kayaking and caching made simple with the aerials, the great reception and it is waterproof and floats! Best of all, it comes with all you need while the map subscription is a great value!

All 3 of those units are great units - each with it own strengths and weaknesses.

The 60CSx has long been considered the finest overall handheld GPS on the market. A proven performer in many situations - it is the standard by which to judge other units. Feature rich. Front buttons make it a good choice for automotive use as well. However, there is no native paperless Geocaching option and the unit is starting to show its age.

The Colorado got off to a very rocky start but with the current firmware is as accurate and reliable in virtually every situation as the 60CSx. Many 60CSx owners will miss some GPS functions on the Colorado. However, the paperless Geocaching is easy to use and easy to learn and looks very nice on the larger Colorado display. I love my Colorado 300 and consider it to be my "goto" unit. One caution is to note that some Colorado users report thier units are not very water resistant. Mine and many others have no issues with that at all.

The PN-40 has an awesome amount of potential and some very nice features. The mapping abilities are second to none. However, I experienced some difficulties when testing the unit. Short battery life and loss of reception around man-made structures. The software is difficut to learn to use but is suppose to get easier soon. I am sure this unit will get some areas worked out soon but I cannot recommend it right now.

All 3 of those units are great units - each with it own strengths and weaknesses.

The 60CSx has long been considered the finest overall handheld GPS on the market. A proven performer in many situations - it is the standard by which to judge other units. Feature rich. Front buttons make it a good choice for automotive use as well. However, there is no native paperless Geocaching option and the unit is starting to show its age.

The Colorado got off to a very rocky start but with the current firmware is as accurate and reliable in virtually every situation as the 60CSx. Many 60CSx owners will miss some GPS functions on the Colorado. However, the paperless Geocaching is easy to use and easy to learn and looks very nice on the larger Colorado display. I love my Colorado 300 and consider it to be my "goto" unit. One caution is to note that some Colorado users report thier units are not very water resistant. Mine and many others have no issues with that at all.

The PN-40 has an awesome amount of potential and some very nice features. The mapping abilities are second to none. However, I experienced some difficulties when testing the unit. Short battery life and loss of reception around man-made structures. The software is difficut to learn to use but is suppose to get easier soon. I am sure this unit will get some areas worked out soon but I cannot recommend it right now.

As to ease of use...the PN-40 truly is simple to use, some of the advanced features might take a bit of playing around to figure out, but the unit is simple to use right out of the box! Battery life is not a problem for me either since a pair of HD Duracell rechargeables will get you 11 hours of battery life, the power kit battery will get you 7 or more hours and can be charged and used while plugged into the car or computer (or even an outlet). I've not seen ANY problems with reception at all! Also, with the release of TOPO 8, some of the issues you speak of have been eliminated altogether, this unit is AWESOME and simple to use!

StarBrand,

What kinda battery life are you getting with the 300 since the last firmware ?

Thanks , John

Edited by JohnFL

I have the PN40 and the 60CSX. For your uses either would be fine. Some observations about the PN40. First I have found the ariel photos on the PN40 to be of questionable value. After the "wow cool!" factor wears out I haven't found them to be of much use. Maybe in a city or town they could be useful but in the woods, zoom out and you see trees, zoom in and you see blurry trees. Big whoop.

I've also been very disappointed with the reception in the PN40 when compared with the 60CSX. I constantly lose sat locks with the PN40, even with leaves off the trees and I don't recall ever losing a lock outdoors with my 60CSX. I have some track comparisons between the two over longish hikes and the 6CSX provides an unbroken track while the PN40 had reception about 30 percnt of the time and the track

is virtually useless. I've had 3 different PN40s and all three had this issue, so its not the matter of a lemon unit.

Also, if you want to use the unit for driving directions, forget the PN40. It's auto routing function is very primative when compared to Garmin's. Finally, the thing eats batteries like potato chips.

On the plus side for the PN40, paperless geocaching is very nice, I like the 3 axis compass, the topo maps have better detal than Garmin's and you do get a lot for the money.

One more quarrel I have with the PN40 is the tiny fonts. I'm at the age where I need reading glasses, but I don't want to have to carry them around when I'm oudoors. I have a hard time reading the darn menus without my reading glasses. I have no problem reading the 60CSX sans glasses.

The Colorado is simply missing way too many hikig friendly features that the 60CSX has for me to recommend it.

So for your intended use I think the 60CSX is the way to go. It's been around for a while but I think it's still the finest all around GPS on the market. Other models and brands do some things better than the 60CSX, but none do nearly everything as well as the 60CSX.

I got my PN40 fully expecting to retire my 60CSX but I find myself using the PN40 for geocaching and the 60CSX for everything else.

Edited by briansnat

StarBrand,

What kinda battery life are you getting with the 300 since the last firmware ?

Thanks , John

With little backlight use and compass turned off - 11 - 13 hours.

With only occasional backlight use - 10 - 11 hours

With lots of backlight use and compass on - 7 - 9 hours.

Using Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables. Nowhere near the 22 - 26 hours I get on the Garmin legend HCx.

As you don't mention caching as a use for this unit, I'd say go for the 60CSX. I just works, tried and tested. PN-40 is overkill for your needs and will likely cause frustation for your needs. Same for the CO. Only reason you'd buy a CO over a 60 is for the geocaching modes.

Thanks for all the info :unsure: I have found the 60SCx for $299 free shipping..I'll use it for the up coming season.

I was reading yesterday about the new Lowrance's , can't wait to see how they turn out !!

42 channel :blink: If the reviews are good , I'll pick one up for a second...

Thanks again , this forum is very helpful !!

Yep there are a few of us here eagerly awaiting the new Lowrance Enduras to hit the store shelves, perhaps in the next couple weeks!

Lowrance has always made quality products and have had a great bang-for-your-buck value. I'm hoping all the hype about them becomes facts! :ph34r: You may want to wait for their release before opening your wallet!

Thanks for all the info :ph34r: I have found the 60SCx for $299 free shipping..I'll use it for the up coming season.

I was reading yesterday about the new Lowrance's , can't wait to see how they turn out !!

42 channel :o If the reviews are good , I'll pick one up for a second...

Thanks again , this forum is very helpful !!

Shop around online. You should be able to get it for less than $299 these days.

Also consider the Map 76CSX. It's functionally identical to the 60CSX but in a different

shell. Its usually a bit cheaper than the 60CSX because its not as popular.

What's wrong with the Etrex Legend?? I've never had a problem with mine hiking...only recently have I started getting serious about GC'ing and it's worked great....

although that 60CSx does look cool....

Nothing at all. Except for the possible issue of tree cover being a problem and requiring an "H" model for the topic starter. Edited by Kohavis