Unpublished caches at GWVII

J-Way

I "found" (i.e., followed the crowds) four unpublished caches at GWVII. There were two letterbox hybrid caches ("Reverberations" and "GW7 Memories") where I was handed a slip of paper with the names and coordinates. The hand-carved stamp for GW7 Memories was carved by Team Bear-Cat. Does anyone know if they will be published here? Are they in the queue?

Also, there were two containers within a few feet of each other at the caboose. One was a hide-a-key and the other was a custom-camouflaged ammo can. Anyone know what's up with those two? They appear to be hidden at the posted coordinates for the Mystery and Wherigo caches, but the finals for both of those were elsewhere.

It sounds like too many caches within proximity to each other to me. I saw the two caches in the GW Museum and wondered how you would log them. I did not sign either logbook since it seemed that these caches would go against the guidelines. I frankly thought they were just examples and not expected to be counted as finds. Wasn't it a museum after all?

I really love Geowoodstock but do not like the idea of moving caches around just so people can get smileys. :P

According to the owners of the letterboxes, one of them has been published (Reverberations, GC1RPAZ, the one at the church) but the other is still being held up. It's too close to other caches in the area. Everyone wants it at the museum (the owner of the storefront, the owner of the cache, etc.), so it might get an exception, it might not.

BOTH of the containers at the train were for GCHJ5A. The event organizers felt that a hide-a-key only a few feet from GZ of a Mega event would be overwhelmed, so they replaced it with an ammo box. They put keys in it and magnets on it so the description would still fit. So only one smiley for that even if you signed both logs.

There was one more cache at the museum, but that cache was on a "retirement tour". The cache was archived after the container was heavily damaged in a fire, but apparently it is carried around from event to event so people can still log it. I didn't sign that one because I don't want to claim a "find" on a cache that's listed in an area where I've never been.

According to the owners of the letterboxes, one of them has been published (Reverberations, GC1RPAZ, the one at the church) but the other is still being held up. It's too close to other caches in the area. Everyone wants it at the museum (the owner of the storefront, the owner of the cache, etc.), so it might get an exception, it might not.

BOTH of the containers at the train were for GCHJ5A. The event organizers felt that a hide-a-key only a few feet from GZ of a Mega event would be overwhelmed, so they replaced it with an ammo box. They put keys in it and magnets on it so the description would still fit. So only one smiley for that even if you signed both logs.

There was one more cache at the museum, but that cache was on a "retirement tour". The cache was archived after the container was heavily damaged in a fire, but apparently it is carried around from event to event so people can still log it. I didn't sign that one because I don't want to claim a "find" on a cache that's listed in an area where I've never been.

It Lives!!! It Lives!!! I shall call you...Pocket Cache!!!

Evil Laugh...followed by slightly more evil grin...

It sounds like too many caches within proximity to each other to me. I saw the two caches in the GW Museum and wondered how you would log them. I did not sign either logbook since it seemed that these caches would go against the guidelines. I frankly thought they were just examples and not expected to be counted as finds. Wasn't it a museum after all?

I really love Geowoodstock but do not like the idea of moving caches around just so people can get smileys. :P

Am sure everything will work out within the guidelines, one is being to be moved I saw in another thread.

Looks like one of the caches in the Museum that was there for an artifact was being logged but the cache page was locked as it should have been. It was there for a little history nothing more nothing less

The host of Geowoodstock do not like the idea of archived or non-grandfathered moving caches around just so people can get smileys either, but that is something we have no control over

Hope Ya'll had a little fun while attending, and look forward to seeing everyone next year

Happy Trails

Joe

Just to clarify, the micro on the caboose was reported missing and after I could not find it myself, I decided too replace it with a full size "magnetic" ammo box. During the day the hide-a-key reappeared and caused some confusion, but as soon as I found out about it, I retrieved it. The ammo box is the correct cache.

The cache at the museum was not on a "retirement tour". It was part of the display for GWIII as a historical artifact, of a cache that was recovered from a fire area during GWIII. I was genuinely shocked to find out today that people were attempting to log it who were upset to find the cache page locked. The museum was provided as an educational opportunity for those who were not able to attend the previous events and to honor the history of this event, nothing more.

The cache at the museum was not on a "retirement tour". It was part of the display for GWIII as a historical artifact, of a cache that was recovered from a fire area during GWIII. I was genuinely shocked to find out today that people were attempting to log it who were upset to find the cache page locked. The museum was provided as an educational opportunity for those who were not able to attend the previous events and to honor the history of this event, nothing more.

I was told it was on a "retirement tour" by the people signing the log as I went through the museum. I'm glad I'm not the only one shocked that people would attempt to log this, and I'm also glad the cache page was locked :laughing: It was interesting to see an ammo can that had been in a forest fire, though. And I loved the official log(s) from GWV!

Just to clarify, the micro on the caboose was reported missing and after I could not find it myself, I decided too replace it with a full size "magnetic" ammo box. During the day the hide-a-key reappeared and caused some confusion, but as soon as I found out about it, I retrieved it. The ammo box is the correct cache.

I think people got confused when the ammo can appeared in place ( or along side of) the key holder. I found the cache when it was just the M.K.H., but came back later with a group who found just the ammo box. There was some confusion, but when I saw the key holder was MIA, I figured it had been replaced on a temporary basisi with something that could hold a logbook that could handle the "traffic".

Found both of the letterboxes, glad to see the one at the church is published, hope the one by the store is allowed as placed. I also saw the one at the museum, never figured anyone would try to log it as found.

Just an amazing event, the organizers have really "raised the bar" for the future!