Magellen Triton 400

arcticdodge

I have a Triton 400 and I love it for caching! It does paperless caching! It is very easy to use. It's accurate.

The drawbacks are that you can't download gpx files directly from the website to the triton, you have to save them and then import them into Magellans VantagePoint software(free, included with the unit). Not hard and if you want step by step instructions, I have those too

I do like that they are compatible with the National Geographic TOPO maps(not needed for geocaching, but nice to have).

The Tritons Forums have great help there!

Even if the Triton was the best unit ever made I would not buy one because of Magellan's reputation for customer support. It ranges from lousy to abysmal. Just go over to the GPS and Technology forum and search on 'Magellan customer' or 'Magellan support' and you'll find pages and pages of horror stories. Garmin and DeLorme on the other hand consistently win high marks for their customer support.

That said, the Triton series is far from the best unit ever made. It has not been well received by the geocaching community and I know several people who bought one and returned it within a week.

At one time you'd see many Magellans at gatherings of geocachers. These days Magellan sightings are rare and when you do see one, it's usually an old eXplorist or Meridian. I think that says a lot about the Triton.

Edited by briansnat

Just wondering if this is a good unit. I am new to this geocaching game and the kids 5 and 7 years old loved it also. Was hoping to get them their own GPS the Triton 400. It looks simple and easy to use. Any comments good or bad will be appreciated. Thanks MArk :anibad:

I just added a Triton 400 to my gear rig, GPSr number 5 (sportrak, meridian, Ique3600, 12XL). My main reason for the purchase was the ability to integrate NatGeo Topo maps. I'm a big time Topo user for hunting, hiking and SAR. The Triton is probably not for the first timer. Read the triton forum mentioned above, there is fantastic user support there. The software/firmware is still a bit buggy and lacks some things that the sportrak/meridian had. Each update seems to get closer and there is rumor of a new one due out soon. Interface takes a little getting used to for a previous magellan owner. I wish the screen was bigger. I was considering a 60map csx or rhino 520 hcx but TOPO integration and 150 buck best buy sale couldn't be passed up. Tracking is by far the best I have seen so far especially when you can track right on a topo map. Of course you need to know what map to put on the sd card before heading out or you just get the usual next to useless default base map. Its definitely not a unit for everyone but I have been extremely happy with it. I tend to geocache the old fashion way coordinates and a printout so I can't speak for the paperless cache specific features just yet.

Edited by JackQuest

We own a Triton 400. I got it for free from work and I don't know how to fully operate it yet but I keep learning more neat useful features about it as I use it. my only complain is that I really hate the small stiff hard to press button around the main center button.

We own a Triton 400. I got it for free from work and I don't know how to fully operate it yet but I keep learning more neat useful features about it as I use it. my only complain is that I really hate the small stiff hard to press button around the main center button.

I just got mine on Tuesday. So far I'm happy with it. It does take some experimentation to figure out all the paperless caching. I agree the buttons are annoying. However, it's perfectly functional and the SD card feature is very nice.

I have a Triton 400 and I love it for caching! It does paperless caching! It is very easy to use. It's accurate.

The drawbacks are that you can't download gpx files directly from the website to the triton, you have to save them and then import them into Magellans VantagePoint software(free, included with the unit). Not hard and if you want step by step instructions, I have those too

I do like that they are compatible with the National Geographic TOPO maps(not needed for geocaching, but nice to have).

:unsure:

I just bought this unit last week. It was the only one I could find in my price range and store around here. Took it out this weekend and frustrated the kids and my husband so much. I can't find any good resources on how to use this thing!

I love my Triton 400! I already had the Nat Geo TOPO maps, so I didn't need to spend monry on maps. There should be a new firmware update coming out in the next few days; I'm keeping an eye on the Triton Forums for the news. I found it very easy to learn to use. I didn't need the manual. Just remember when you're learning to use it and playing around to press the page down button, you'll find some useful tricks that way. The Triton Forums are also very good help from other users!

:ph34r:

I just bought this unit last week. It was the only one I could find in my price range and store around here. Took it out this weekend and frustrated the kids and my husband so much. I can't find any good resources on how to use this thing!

What do you want to know? I have a few step by steps. Here's how to get caches from the website to the Triton...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. ...

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

2c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

What do you want to know? I have a few step by steps. Here's how to get caches from the website to the Triton...

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

I have a mac computer. I don't think it is compatible. My other GPS, I can't even remember the name of it, showed coordinates as you moved. I just don't understand how to read this one. I have been able to put in the coordinates but once I get in the general location, I am not sure how to follow.

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

I have a mac computer. I don't think it is compatible. My other GPS, I can't even remember the name of it, showed coordinates as you moved. I just don't understand how to read this one. I have been able to put in the coordinates but once I get in the general location, I am not sure how to follow.

I start out from the parking lot with the map screen, then when I get to the location, to zero in further I hit Page Down and it shows my my current coordinance and I walk around and them match the cache coordinance.

I love my Triton 400! I already had the Nat Geo TOPO maps, so I didn't need to spend monry on maps. There should be a new firmware update coming out in the next few days; I'm keeping an eye on the Triton Forums for the news. I found it very easy to learn to use. I didn't need the manual. Just remember when you're learning to use it and playing around to press the page down button, you'll find some useful tricks that way. The Triton Forums are also very good help from other users!

Skelly, the new firmware was released yesterday. I installed it already and it is GREAT!!! :ph34r:

To the OP, yes the Triton 400 is a good GPS for Geocaching.

Edited by wyld_bill2003

Skelly, the new firmware was released yesterday. I installed it already and it is GREAT!!! :ph34r:

I guess the triton forums need to catch up, I'm going to do that now, TY

Hmmm.... I just lauched Vantage point and clicked update but it said I already have the latest version. it was at least a month ago since my last update and that's just because I updated it for the first time ever. should I be looking somewhere else for a firmware update? I heard the new firmware update will take care of an issue with GPX coordinates being a little off when loaded through Vantage Point.

Hmmm.... I just lauched Vantage point and clicked update but it said I already have the latest version. it was at least a month ago since my last update and that's just because I updated it for the first time ever. should I be looking somewhere else for a firmware update? I heard the new firmware update will take care of an issue with GPX coordinates being a little off when loaded through Vantage Point.

You can't get it from VP, you have to get it from the website

Skelly, the new firmware was released yesterday. I installed it already and it is GREAT!!! :)

You can't get it from VP, you have to get it from the website

:ph34r: ooohhhh. :laughing: thanks guys. I just logged into my Magellan account and am currently updating my 400. seet :o