abandoned cache

If the cache were muggled, how did you find it to log it? Strewn across the landscape? If so, then log 'needs maintenance'. Unless, of course, you signed the log and put the whole thing back where it belonged. Even then, "Needs Maintenance" is the proper thing. If the owner doesn not perform maintenance, or determine that maintenance is not necessary, then, after a few months, and lots of 'needs maintenance' by other cachers, then post SBA. After it has been archived, then you can hide your own cache at that spot. You can only adopt if the current owner is willing.

Or, you could do what a lot of people do, which is to replace wet logs, and keep the cache up and running.

contact@geocaching.com

Try explaining your concern and request to this email address. They will be able to let you know one way or another. Very nice people.

If you wrote to customer service, they would simply link you to the adoption policy in the Groundspeak Knowledgebase. Please note the following especially:

If the original geocache owner is inactive on our site and/or will not use the Geocaching Adoption Service, the interested new party must ask the original cache owner to give Groundspeak written permission. The owner should inform us at contact@geocaching.com from their Geocaching email account that this cache can be adopted to the new party with their permission. If the cache owner is unresponsive and the cache needs attention, you may write a Needs Maintenance log or a Needs Archived log to the cache page, as appropriate.

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner. Individual geocaches are owned by the person(s) who physically placed the geocache and/or submitted the geocache listing to geocaching.com.

In other words, unless you can get in touch with the owner you might as well forget it.

You could just fix the cache and keep an eye on it but you wont be able to get into the cache page to do anything with it there.

I wonder how many abandoned caches there are out there.

One of the first caches we found was soaked and in a zip lock bag.

Great spot but the kiddlets were quite disappointed by the soggy mess, I tried to contact the owner after logging a needs maintenance with no response.

We watched the cache for a while and noted the disappointed logs so we decided to kidnap if not adopt the cache.

Replaced the container, log book and swag and since have been rewarded with great logs from Noobie and first time cachers.

We also keep a fully stocked cache repair kit to keep the joy alive when needed.

Archiving would probably have been easier but I always seem to go in the hard way when going for a cache anyway.....

I've dealt with this a number of times in my area.

First you try to contact the previous owner. If they reply, you ask them if they would like to adopt out the cache to you. I've sent the link to the page on Groundspeak and copied the info into an email for them to tell them how to do it. It's very easy.

If they fill out the form, you log on and say YES when you get the adoption request.

If there is no reply you cannot adopt the cache because you MUST get permission from the owner.

If the cache owner does not reply and the cache is in seriously bad shape (like missing, or needing a new box etc.) You can mark it "needs archiving" and list the reasons why.

Usually a reviewer will respond and give the cache owner a month to respond. After that the cache is archived. You can put a new cache in that same area after the previous cache was shut down.

If you have any questions pertaining to that cache in particular, or no one responds to your request for archiving after a while, or after the prescribed time the cache has not been archived, then you need to contact the reviewer for that area.

To see who the reviewer is in that area find new caches in that area and see who reviewed them. e-mail the reviewer and discuss the problem with them.

The reviewers I've dealt with have always been prompt curteous and fair. :lol:

One of the first caches we found was soaked and in a zip lock bag.

PS a cache like this should have a maintaince request on it first, before archiving is considered. The cache owner was probably unaware their cache had a problem.

Some owners don't read the regular logs but will read maintaince requests.

Many people have written on the forums that they have appreciated it when others help maintain their caches. many people said they regularly carry extra log paper etc.

Groundspeak says the owner of a cache owns the container. If no one is maintaining it and you want to replace it for the enjoyment of all, many will appreciate it.

If the owner is not maintaining anyway, you can request maintaince, and then talk to the reviewer.

if the cache is just missing, and the owner is not responding, then the cache should be archived. The owner will not maintain and they owned the container.

after the winter snows here, I've done many maintaince requests for many wet caches. Most people have taken care of their caches.

Groundspeak did send out a general notice for everyone to do cache maintaince now that it's spring, but obviously everyone has not been reading the newsletters.

we all do the best we can to keep the game fun for others.