Garmin GPS 60 Vs Garmin eTrex Venture HC

IHall

I have been geocaching for a few weeks now and have been using my iphone however its not that accurate ive found caches when clues give you the whereabouts however when hints are not giving the cache away i am unable to find as my phone is slightly out which is quite alot when surrounded by trees. I am looking to buy either Garmin GPS 60 or Garmin eTrex Venture HC for geocaching which one would you suggest? ;)

We have actually had both units and currently use the GPS60 as our unit of choice. We used the HC when we first started caching and it worked great...until the joystick broke. That sabotaged the entire unit and we vowed to never buy one with a joystick again. However, for the money, you get many more features on the HC like a color screen, basemaps, and more memory. Other than the joystick, we really loved that unit and probably would still be using it. It should come with a 1-year warranty if something happens, so IMO that is the better of the two.

The plain yellow 60?? skip it.

The venture HC has color screen, usb, high sensitivity, some map memory, long battery life, nice form factor and is quite rugged.

I agree the Venture HC is a great caching unit it's as accurate as any recreational GPS and has a lot of nice features for the price. If you don't want to spring for a paperless unit this is the way to go.

Mine has survived being thrown out the 2nd floor window onto the sidewalke by my daughter and have had no trouble with the joystick or anything else for that matter. I use it for hunting,hiking, fishing and caching so it pretty much gets year round use and I'm comming up on my 3rd year of using it. In fact I'm happy enough with it that I bought a second one for my wife to replace her Explorist.

iv got the same problem choosing between these units, are you on about the yellow gps60 with the grey screen? i think the venture is much better than that one,

i have been looking betweent the venture hc and the gps60csx, the gps60csx is £100 more expensive and im trying to figure out if its worth the extra cash?

what do people think between those 2?

I have been geocaching for a few weeks now and have been using my iphone however its not that accurate ive found caches when clues give you the whereabouts however when hints are not giving the cache away i am unable to find as my phone is slightly out which is quite alot when surrounded by trees. I am looking to buy either Garmin GPS 60 or Garmin eTrex Venture HC for geocaching which one would you suggest? ;)

I just bought the etrex venture hc(reconditioned) for $80 on e-bay. the guy had lots of them on auction starting bid 79.99 I think he still has

iv got the same problem choosing between these units, are you on about the yellow gps60 with the grey screen? i think the venture is much better than that one,

i have been looking betweent the venture hc and the gps60csx, the gps60csx is £100 more expensive and im trying to figure out if its worth the extra cash?

No contest - the 60CSx has long been considered the finest Geocaching and general purpose unit available. Might be dethroned by the Oregon series but not quite yet.

It really depends on what you plan to do with it. If you just want to cache with it the venture HC will do just as well as as the GPS 60CSX. If you want to upload topos and such the 60CSX is better because you use SD memory with it and have more space. The 60 stores twice as many waypoints but I find that the 500 that the venture stores is plenty for my purposes. The 60 also has 2hrs more battery life and a little larger screen.

So the 60CSX has more storage,bigger screen,altimeter, has auto routing and longer battery life but IMO those advantages do not make it that much better for geocaching to pay the extra cash for it. However, if you will use the autorouting feature, an altimeter and want to upload more maps then the 60CSX might be worth it but for about the same price you can get the Oregon 200.

Edited by mcrow

Many thanks to those who offered help and opinions i now have bought a venture HC and am now just waiting for it to arrive hopefully monday!!!

A far better choice than the GPS 60. You will like it.

If you can swing it, the 60CSX is absolutely worth the extra money. I think it's still be best all purpose GPS around. There are units that can do some things better. but to this day no unit does it all as well as the 60CSX.

I have the "plain yellow" gps 60 and I love it. I bought it for hunting and fishing purposes, and for the last year have wondered what that Geocaching feature in there was. So after finaly looking it up on the net, well lets just say my gps 60 now has a new purpose along with the others it was bought for. I personaly dont think you can go wrong with the unit unless you want road maps on thew unit as well. If thats the case go with the map 60 series. hope you are happy with whatever you choose and good luck caching.