Looking for a great GPS

TheWeelanderz

I was wondering what kind of GPS would be the best for Geocahing? I have a car GPS for driving so on road directions are not a must. The friend I was caching with had a Garmin Oregon (not sure how that is spelled) and it was great, but I don't want to spend $500 on a GPS when I already have one. Is there a GPS out there that has all of these features but is more wallet friendly??

The Oregon is great because of the touchscreen interface and paperless Geocaching abilities. You just are not going to find another unit that can do both of those things as well as the Oregon does. However, the low end Oregon 200 goes for about $235 after rebate on Amazon right now. Only a basemap, no electronic compass - less memory but gives you much of the nice features of the Oregon series including the great interface and fully paperless. Get some of the free maps from: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all and add a microsd card.

At the top of the forums is a FAQ about which GPS to buy. Lots of reviews and information. You did not say how fat your wallet is, so that will give you some ideas. Some car units can be used (unless it is built into the dash)

I am one of the minority that does not use a Garmin. I have a Lowrance H2O Color. It does not route like the car unit, so that is not necessary for you.

I like my Lowrance because of the large color screen for my older eyes. It also does limited paperless as some of the cache info can be downloaded to the GPS.

If you want the paperless features you are basically limited to the Oregon, Colorado, or Delorme PN40 or PN20.

I wouldn't recommend the latter two if you are not familiar with GPS, or at least very tech savvy, though they can be real bargains if you are.

If you don't care about the paperless caching feature (meaning all cache data displays on the unit), your options broaden considerably. The Garmin 60CSX is hard to beat for reception, durability and reliability. The Garmin Venture HC is hard to beat for pure value.