Mega Camping

Having booked into the Mega and Camping mega a while ago - it's just dawned on me that the Mega event itself is on the Sunday not the Saturday as my brain has remembered it.

According to the recommended camp site instructions we have to vacate our pitch by 11am on the Sunday ?

Have there been any arrangements made for a late checkout - if the Mega starts at 10am, I reckon that gives us precisely 5 minutes before we have to be back at camp to pack it up !

Or am I missing something obvious ?

Linsey & Lorraine

If you're only staying until Sunday I'd recommend you pack up before you leave for Mega.... we haven't made any arrangements for late departures - that's up to individual campers. The camping event itself is, as usual, a one day event, and it's on saturday.

As not all of the committee read these forums, you might get a quicker response if you post on the Mega forum as well http://www.beazley.adsl24.co.uk/forum/

If you're only staying until Sunday I'd recommend you pack up before you leave for Mega.... we haven't made any arrangements for late departures - that's up to individual campers. The camping event itself is, as usual, a one day event, and it's on saturday.

As not all of the committee read these forums, you might get a quicker response if you post on the Mega forum as well http://www.beazley.adsl24.co.uk/forum/

Thanks for the quick response - must admit I'm quite disappointed - I would have thought it would be a bit more joined up than that :-(

My fault for not checking the dates I suppose - now going to have to have a rethink as I don't want to leave the car full of all our camping gear sat in the middle of Western for the day - that would be asking for trouble !

Any idea why the mega is not on the Saturday - I would have thought that more people could have made the Saturday ?

Cheers

Linsey & Lorraine

Thanks for the quick response - must admit I'm quite disappointed - I would have thought it would be a bit more joined up than that :-(

My fault for not checking the dates I suppose - now going to have to have a rethink as I don't want to leave the car full of all our camping gear sat in the middle of Western for the day - that would be asking for trouble !

Any idea why the mega is not on the Saturday - I would have thought that more people could have made the Saturday ?

Cheers

Linsey & Lorraine

Hello

Unfortunately events can only be run on one day, at specified times.

As most of the campers will be there for a holiday, we made a concious decision not to organise their entire week for them, as people will have their own plans while they are in the area. There are other events on in the area during the week - the fact that the campsite has been arranged for the entire week is largely incidental, as most people will have come from further afield and need somewhere local to stay.

As for the Mega event being on a Sunday- the decision was made before I was invited onto the committee, and I'm sure somebody on the Mega forum will be better placed to answer the question :D:P

If I remember correctly, loads of people stayed the extra night last year, and in my own humble opinion, it was one of the best nights at the campsite too!!

Why not just make an extra night of it? You've not got far to go home on the Monday... lots of people will be heading to MUCH further afield on the Monday!

Edited by HazelS

Cheers

Linsey & Lorraine

Being a person who's occupation is to be security minded, I would have thought that your belongings are more at risk inside an unsecured canvas tent in an open field where people may not notice a stranger entering your tent, than in a secure locked (and likely alarmed) car that if parked sensibly will be in a busy place that will attract attention if a thief decides to strike. Don't get me wrong cars get broken into all the time, but you can't plan for everything.

Given the general ease of entry and insecurity of camp sites, it really does surprise me that criminals don't target them more than they do.

As for the Mega event being on a Sunday- the decision was made before I was invited onto the committee.....

The eight committee members at the time couldn't decide which date was best, so had a poll. 4 said Sunday, 1 said Saturday and 3 had no preference.

Therefore, we listened to the cachers that had already expressed an opinion in the forums here and chose the Sunday.

If I remember correctly, loads of people stayed the extra night last year, and in my own humble opinion, it was one of the best nights at the campsite too!!

I agree Hazel, it was a good evening sitting in the middle of that field and we are hoping that more people do stay overnight on the Sunday.

Having booked into the Mega and Camping mega a while ago - it's just dawned on me that the Mega event itself is on the Sunday not the Saturday as my brain has remembered it.

According to the recommended camp site instructions we have to vacate our pitch by 11am on the Sunday ?

Have there been any arrangements made for a late checkout - if the Mega starts at 10am, I reckon that gives us precisely 5 minutes before we have to be back at camp to pack it up !

Or am I missing something obvious ?

Linsey & Lorraine

Hi all

there will be lots of cachers that will be camping that will be both or more events, and i am sure they will not all be going home on sunday.

try be sociable and see if someone would be willing to store your equipement at the site for collection later in the day.

however it would probably be more secure in your vehicle as already suggested.

Peter

Cheers

Linsey & Lorraine

Being a person who's occupation is to be security minded, I would have thought that your belongings are more at risk inside an unsecured canvas tent in an open field where people may not notice a stranger entering your tent, than in a secure locked (and likely alarmed) car that if parked sensibly will be in a busy place that will attract attention if a thief decides to strike. Don't get me wrong cars get broken into all the time, but you can't plan for everything.

Given the general ease of entry and insecurity of camp sites, it really does surprise me that criminals don't target them more than they do.

We are only able to stay the one night on the camp site as work starts early on Monday morning (6.00am). Therefore we'll be packing up and leaving our belongings in our car in Weston for the day on Sunday without any qualms at all. I'm sure there are far more valuable things to pinch than a (possibly) soggy tent, smelly sleeping bags and dirty clothes. This kind of stuff is replaceable anyway. Anything important of course ie GPS, camera, money etc will be on our person and not left in the car.