Garmin 60CSx

I am looking to buy a 60CSx (Garmin) and was waniting to know if it will show the; Name of the cache; Who placed it; and the hint? I really cant find anything on the site to answer. I am new to the sport and the GPS that I am useing jumps around way to much and I want one that will show the name of the cache, who place it; and the hint just in case. Thanks for all the help

You would need to be a Premium Member of Geocaching.com in order to be able to download that data. As a basic member, you will only be able to download the Waypoint ID (GC name and the coordinates).

Then for that GPS unit, you will need to use a third party software, such as GSAK, to modify the data in order to get the name and hint to load to that unit.

If you want a GPS unit that will natively display the name and hint information, take a look at the Garmin Oregon or Colorado series.

Then for that GPS unit, you will need to use a third party software, such as GSAK, to modify the data in order to get the name and hint to load to that unit.

If you load GPS files (a premimum member feature), you'll get the name of the cache and who placed it automatically. It will show in the comment field for the waypoint.

Using the POI loader and GSAK and you can get the hint on the unit as well. With GSAK you can also manipulate the waypoint name so it gives you size, type and difficulty and terrain.

Edited by briansnat

Using the POI loader and GSAK and you can get the hint on the unit as well.

sorry for the dumb question, but when you say 'hint', do you mean the description that the owner of the cache has added?

gives you the decrypted hint not the cache page write up. the hint is limited to the first 30 characters although spaces are truncated with longer hints when I use GSAK.

Well, SOMEBODY has to say it - I'm surprised Rockin' Roddy hasn't been here yet, the thread is a week old.

If you're shopping in the price range and form factor of the Garmin 60csx, and you want the cache details loaded on the device - at least take the time to look at the DeLorme PN-40 also. Far superior paperless caching features.

You can have cache name, long and short descriptions, hints, and logs on-board the unit.

Yes, all but the lowest level GPS' on the market will hold that information. You need to set up Pocket Queries. You then either download the gpx file to your GPS (if it supports that function - the 60CSx doesn't) or use GSAK to create a gpx file that contains that information.

... all but the lowest level GPS' on the market will hold that information. You need to set up Pocket Queries. You then either download the gpx file to your GPS (if it supports that function - the 60CSx doesn't) or use GSAK to create a gpx file that contains that information.
"Holding the information" and displaying it in a usable fashion are two different things. The hints and the cache logs are pretty helpful sometimes.

I'm not saying the PN-40 is the only (or even the best) device to consider. Just that it sounds like the OP is shopping for these features -- and that some devices will do that better than the 60csx.

I think I'm still confused with holding, viewing...

So is it possible or not to show the cache description using the 60CSx by using GSAK, Pocket Queries or a different tool?

If not, what about the 76CSx? Does it have the same problem?

Thanks

Edited by Staryon

It is "possible" using GSAK and tigerz's macro for custom POIs...

BUT....the custom POIs only hold 88 characters each and thus the description for each cache will cover a lot of POIs making it very cumbersome to use.

The only Garmin units that do paperless Geocaching are the Oregon, Colorado and Nuvi 5xx models.

BUT....the custom POIs only hold 88 characters each and thus the description for each cache will cover a lot of POIs making it very cumbersome to use.

The only Garmin units that do paperless Geocaching are the Oregon, Colorado and Nuvi 5xx models.

That's the information that I needed! Thanks a lot.

Everything is clear now.

I believe the entire Nuvi line, down to the lowly 200 can do paperless. Now, if you mean downloading complete web pages with pictures and graphs and all, then, no, the non-Nuvi 5xx' will not do that.

But yes Staryon, it is possible show the cache description using the 60CSx and any Garmin handheld model that use data cards (plus now the Venture HC with upgraded software) using GSAK's 60CSxPOI's macro. As Red90 points out, it is cumbersome, but it does work. I use it on my Vista HCx and have not pulled out my PDA in 3 months, when I started using it.

I think I'm still confused with holding, viewing...
Ah, sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

The DeLorme PN-40 lets you load the complete cache description - not just the coords, but the cache name, code, hider's name, short description, long description, hint, and the most recent cache logs right on to the PN-40. You get all that info for a given cahce just by clicking the "Send To GPS" button on the cache's web page while you have your GPS connected to the computer -- no need to run GSAK or other programs.

I did not mention the regular Nuvis as I feel that they are not really suitable as a caching GPS. Of course, this is just my pinion.

BTW, the Oregon/Colorado/Nuvi 5xx don't show any more information than the regular Nuvi macros. The information available is limited by the Groundspeak terms of use, not the device.