Unmade footpaths in Essex, Engand

If anyone is cache-constrained by unmade footpaths in Essex, England, particularly those that have been made impassable by ploughing, contact me. I can give you an e-mail for a guy who has an "in" with Essex County Council and can get some corrective action.

It's a problem all over, down in someset, locked gates, removed signs. I think you are within your rights to remove obstructions from footpaths....

As for ploughing this is not allowed on paths that run around the edge of fields, but those crossing fields are allowed to be ploughed, and need returning to 'passable' with 14 days.

Good Luck in putting these right

Most, if not all, local authorities have a "Footpaths Officer"

If you come across any footpaths that are badly maintained, locked access, bulls (not bullocks) obstructing them etc, then get in touch with them. If your Local authority is unsure as to whether they have one, ring their main switchboard, and ask for the Countryside Service, then ask them.

It does work. A number of people complained about having problems when attempting this cache. I wrote a letter to Flintshire County Council explaining the problems accessing the public footpath that crossed a steel works. (It doesn't sound so nice but you end up going onto fine views of the tidal mud flats and the A-frame cable stayed bridge.) The security guards at the entrance to the steelworks would give you hassle - enough to prevent some people from feeling that they could continue - despite being in their rights to do so.

Here is the photo of the letter I received back from Flintshire County Council. An example maybe where 'red tape' does work for the greater good!

7ce316a2-3c33-4d9e-a04e-ff746dc4cdf4.jpg