Oregon 300 question

I've pretty much decided that the 300 is the one for me, but I do have a few questions that you may help with.

1 I have a version of Mapsource topo that is 2005, and was wondering if I can use it. I know some of the 3d features won't work etc.

2 I like the expanded memory of the 300 over the 200 (this along I believe is worth the cost difference), but was wondering if you can turn off the compass and barometer to save batteries.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Check out the deal at REI right now on the 400t -- you can get it for $350 if you take advantage of the rebate. Probably cheaper than you can find a 300 plus you get more internal memory and the maps.

BTW, disabling the compass saves about 15% in terms of battery life.

Edited by g-o-cashers

The OR is hard on batteries, compared to the 60CSx. I doubt you will save that much by turning off the compass. And, IMHO, the OR is the first unit that has a usable compass.

How long do your batteries last?

I've got the Oregon 400t.

Last weekend I took it out with 2 sets of AA's. One set was a 2300Mah set, and the other was 2500Mah. I spent most of my time on the trail using the unit with the screen on full brightness (full backlight). I used 100% of the 2300Mah set of batteries, and about 50% of my 2500Mah set. This was a long day, about 10 hours of usage total including drive time between caches and the trip out, and home.

Today I went out with a mini USB charger (like used with a motorola phone, or blackberry phone) and used the charger in the car for external power, and only used batteries when out of the car. Time spent in car is irrelevant since I used the charger - and we spent about 2 hours outside romping around. I didn't even knock the first power bar of my 2500mAh batteries today. The only major difference is that my out of car profile (Geocaching profile) is set to turn off the backlight (but not battery save) after 1 minute. I rarely need the backlight when outside but it helps a lot in the car.

So - yes it does go through the batteries but if you are spending a lot of time in car on your caching journey, get a mini USB cable charger for your car (I think any standard mini USB phone charging cable would probably work - or get the official Garmin branded one if that makes you more comfortable).

With that said - I'll still always plan on having at least two spare sets of AA NiMH 2300mAh or higher rated batteries when out caching - just in case. I also keep my eTrex Legend (much less power hungry) as a backup when out for a long day.

I've had really good luck with the low self discharge batteries that they sell. I'm using both Sanyo Eneloop 2000mah and the Meijer PowerCell 2100mah batteries. I was out from 11:30 to 8:30 doing some pretty heavy caching and my batteries were still going strong with 2 bars. I do cache for the most part with the backlight off, and I didn't have it plugged in while in the car today.