New GPS satellite activated (27Apr)

From software bulletin at work:

"The newly launched GPS satellite SVN49 (PRN01) has been activated. This update contains all data required

for TerraPOS to make use of this satellite."

I received the notice yesterday but not sure exactly when the satellite went online.

Edited by mattalbr

I was looking this morning and didn't see PRN01, but I have seen some strange issues (again) with the Oregon. It is not seeing some satellites that the 60csx/CO seem to pick up just fine.

It feels like there are some bugs in the OR's ability to handle changes in the almanac -- maybe related to the HotFix data not getting purged properly or something like that. Either way I'm back to where I was shortly after the 2.95 upgrade.

Is there a table anywhere which shows how the sat numbers we see correspond with the prn numbers? I use prn at work in post processing.

For Garmins the numbers shown should match the PRN except for WAAS. Note that there are two numerical designations for each WAAS satellite. PRN numbers identify the code transmitted by the satellite while the NMEA designation is simply the PRN minus 87. Garmin uses the NMEA number.

Edited by PDOP's

Mar 24: Launched

Mar 28: L1 & L2 Transmitters activated

It's still set to unhealthy in the almanac, so your receiver won't be using it yet.

mattalbr: If TerraPOS uses precise orbits like those generated by IGS, PRN01 might be included already in those products.

Wonder if this will fix some of the OR's problems.

Problems? I thought the Oregon was the great GPS the world has ever seen. :anicute:

Probably not the greatest. IMHO, the 60CSx is still the greatest.

Just a lot better / more reliable than the CO. And after its recent firmware, more feature rich.

mattalbr: If TerraPOS uses precise orbits like those generated by IGS, PRN01 might be included already in those products.

I'll have to go back and look at some of my recent TerraPOS processing logs. Most of the time I try to wait for the IGS orbits. Don't pay much attention to the satellites unless I'm having a problem getting a good, tight solution.

Looks like they're testing the L5 band on prn01. I think L5 is a commercial band. As far as I can tell it's not broadcasting on L1/L2 yet.

It started transmitting L5 on April 10. I don't have an L5 antenna feed at my desk, but I am tracking L1 & L2 on it right now. Since it's unhealthy, I have to force the receiver to do so.

Looks like they're testing the L5 band on prn01. I think L5 is a commercial band. As far as I can tell it's not broadcasting on L1/L2 yet.

It started transmitting L5 on April 10. I don't have an L5 antenna feed at my desk, but I am tracking L1 & L2 on it right now. Since it's unhealthy, I have to force the receiver to do so.

I wouldn't expect to see it on a COTS handheld unit until the Health is switched to 000. Here's a little data for those interested in the L5 signal:

NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2009025 NANU TYPE: GENERAL

*** GENERAL MESSAGE TO ALL GPS USERS ***

On 10 April 09 no earlier than 1000z, SVN 49 (PRN 01) will begin

transmitting data-less L5. The following conditions of use apply:

a. The Air Force does not guarantee the availability or quality of L5 on

SVN 49 (PRN 01).

b. Users are cautioned that the new signal is under development and may

be used for a variety of test applications for the time being. As such,

availability and quality of the L5 signal may be subject to change

without prior notice. Therefore, any use of the L5 signal on SVN 49

(PRN 01) is at the user's own risk.

*** GENERAL MESSAGE TO ALL GPS USERS ***

POC:

CIVILIAN - NAVCEN AT 703-313-5900, HTTPS://WWW.NAVCEN.USCG.GOV

MILITARY - GPS OPERATIONS CENTER at HTTP://GPS.AFSPC.AF.MIL/GPSOC,

DSN 560-2541,

COMM 719-567-2541, gps_support@schriever.af.mil,

HTTPS://gps.afspc.af.mil

MILITARY ALTERNATE - JOINT SPACE OPERATIONS CENTER, DSN 276-9994,

COMM 805-606-9994, JSPOCCOMBATOPS@VANDENBERG.AF.MIL

Safety of Life (L5)

Safety of Life is a civilian-use signal, broadcast on the L5 frequency (1176.45 MHz), planned to be implemented with first GPS IIF launch (2009).

* Improves signal structure for enhanced performance

* Higher transmission power than L1 or L2C signal (~3dB, or twice as powerful)

* Wider bandwidth, yielding a 10-times processing gain

* Longer spreading codes (10 times longer than used on the C/A code)

* Located in the Aeronautical Radionavigation Services band, a frequency band that is available world wide.

WRC-2000 added space signal component to this aeronautical band so aviation community can manage interference to L5 more effectively than L2

It is defined in IS-GPS-705.

******** Week 505 almanac for PRN-01 ********

ID: 01

Health: 063

Eccentricity: 0.3308773041E-002

Time of Applicability(s): 405504.0000

Orbital Inclination(rad): 0.9603881836

Rate of Right Ascen(r/s): -0.7828930393E-008

SQRT(A) (m 1/2): 5153.719727

Right Ascen at Week(rad): -0.1997763157E+001

Argument of Perigee(rad): 0.893146873

Mean Anom(rad): -0.1997520924E+001