Mapsource 6.15.6

Red90

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Changes made from version 6.15.4 to 6.15.6:

* Fixed an issue with the file save dialog when the file extension field is hidden.

* Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash if the route avoidance dialog would be displayed twice.

* Fixed waypoint category filter issue. Now only waypoints of the selected category will be displayed.

* Fixed waypoint prefixes.

* Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash with certain address searches.

* Fixed memory leaks in the waypoint dialog and map rendering.

* Fixed an issue with saving gpx files when the file path contains Asian characters.

* Fixed some hotkey issues.

* Fixed an issue with searching for certain POIs.

* Fixed an issue with how unlock codes were stored that caused incompatibilities with applications like Training Center.

* Support Web Link Extensions in Brazilian Portuguese.

* Changed waypoint image size to follow the user selected symbol size.

Was the problem with the magenta background showing, when you didn't want it to on Custom Waypoint/POI Symbols ever resolved? I didn't keep up with it after the discussion a few months ago.

Does this 6.15.6 version run any faster than the previous updates since 6.13.7 on older PCs?

Edited by eaparks

It still has a big lag when panning compared to 6.13.7. I have a 22" widescreen monitor. With 6.15.6 I can drag the little hand the full width of the screen before the map starts to move. With 6.13.7 the map starts to move almost as soon as I start to drag.

Once the map starts to move, it moves at about the same speed as the older versions.

...ken...

While on the topic of Mapsource (and Nroute)... is there a way to display multiple source maps at the same time? For example... if I have topo Canada loaded and I want to ALSO view a transparent map of the local trails at the same time, is this possible? DD

No, not in Mapsource.

You may already be doing the following but in case you aren't; if it is something that is of a lot of importance to you, then there is an alternative to see the local trails and how they lay in relation to whatever it is in topo your wanting to see. If you made the custom transparent map yourself then you already have the trail information as tracks... open the .gdb or .gpx file with the tracks in it with the Topo Canada map. If you used someone elses transparent map then create and save tracks for the trails by just tracing the trails in the tranparent map in a Mapsource file and again open the file with the Topo Canada map. If there are a lot of trails it may take some time but at least you could accomplish your objective.

While on the topic of Mapsource (and Nroute)... is there a way to display multiple source maps at the same time? For example... if I have topo Canada loaded and I want to ALSO view a transparent map of the local trails at the same time, is this possible?

DD

I don't recall this being a feature in any version of Mapsource, but it sure would be handy.

For those interested, the Custom Symbols for Waypoints and POIs that contain a magenta background for transparency now appear properly.

I received my free 1 time update of CN NT 2010.1 on DVD that I paid $10.00 for, to cover the DVD and shipping costs, per Garmin. I did not want to just download the free update. Upon installation it automatically upgraded Mapsource to v6.15.5, yes 6.15.5. I had not wanted to upgrade from 6.13.7 due to the problems mentioned with 6.15.x releases.

To my surprise my Custom Waypoint Symbols and Custom POI Symbols all with magenta backgrounds appeared properly on my 60CSx, without the magenta colored backgrounds being displayed. I did not know that this bug had been fixed. I then tried my Custom POI Symbols on my Oregon 400t and they all appeared correctly with no magenta color being displayed

I then upgraded to Mapsource v6.15.6 and retested and all Custom POI and Waypoint Symbols with magenta backgrounds are displaying properly, no magenta color being displayed. I do notice it is considerably slower when panning.

I then upgraded to Mapsource v6.15.6 and retested and all Custom POI and Waypoint Symbols with magenta backgrounds are displaying properly, no magenta color being displayed. I do notice it is considerably slower when panning.

Your 6.15.6 must be different from my 6.15.6 because my version shows the magenta background. I would say it is not fixed.

Jim

For those interested, the Custom Symbols for Waypoints and POIs that contain a magenta background for transparency now appear properly.

I received my free 1 time update of CN NT 2010.1 on DVD that I paid $10.00 for, to cover the DVD and shipping costs, per Garmin. I did not want to just download the free update. Upon installation it automatically upgraded Mapsource to v6.15.5, yes 6.15.5. I had not wanted to upgrade from 6.13.7 due to the problems mentioned with 6.15.x releases.

To my surprise my Custom Waypoint Symbols and Custom POI Symbols all with magenta backgrounds appeared properly on my 60CSx, without the magenta colored backgrounds being displayed. I did not know that this bug had been fixed. I then tried my Custom POI Symbols on my Oregon 400t and they all appeared correctly with no magenta color being displayed

I believe that they display correctly on the GPS units, they mean in MapSource. Edited by coggins

I was aware that several users of 6.15.6 had reported that the magenta background was not fixed, that is why I mentioned that I first noticed the change with the upgrade to 6.15.5 via a DVD. As far as I've seen 6.15.5 has never been available as a download from Garmin's site, they jumped from 6.15.4 to 6.15.6 on their published downloads.

Anyone that has the opportunity to get a free one time upgrade of CN NT 2010 should try to get the DVD, which will have the Mapsource v6.15.5 on it that works properly with the Custom Symbols and when upgrading to 6.15.6 the Custom Symbols sitll work properly. I haven't looked into the map distortion issue yet. Will post screen shots of Custom Symbols for a couple of Waypoints and POIs later when I have more time to get all in 1 screen shot.

Sorry, what does TYP customization have to do with it? We are talking about custom icons for waypoints, not customized POIs within maps.

Sorry, my mistake. Maybe next time I should read a little more carefully before jumping in. You are correct as usual. I have removed the offending posts. How exactly does it display maps incorrectly as per your second post? Edited by coggins

Screenshots with Custom Waypoint Symbols where magenta background does not show up on 60CSx transferred via Mapsouce 6.15.6 after first installing Mapsource 6.15.5. 60CSx software 3.70 and chipset 3.0. The 60CSx (3.70) has no hunting waypt. symbols except for a deer. Only the tracks, duck, and tree stand have magenta backgrounds.

2321478500105013954S600x600Q85.jpg

2133790200105013954S600x600Q85.jpg

How exactly does it display maps incorrectly as per your second post?

The aspect ratio of the projection is incorrect unless you are at the same latitude as Garmin HQ.... Here are some screen shots at different latitudes showing a proximity "circle". It is a circle if you are at Garmin HQ.... Seeing as map representation should be the MAIN point of the program, you would think they could fix it within 6 months.

Clip.jpg

Clip2.jpg

Edited by Red90

Red90, how are you creating the aspect ratio circle? I've duplicated your screen shot loaction in CN NT 2010.1 and Mapsource 6.15.6, but I'm not able to tell much without duplicating the circle or I can post the screen shot of the same location (didn't think that would help though). One thing that is different in my CN NT 2010.1 is that Hwy. 621 over to Cynthia does not appear until I zoom down to zoom level 3 mile with detail set to Highest and then the Hwy appears gray in color.

As another test, I created 3 more Custom Waypoint Symbols in Mapsource 6.15.6 (a Bear, a Canoeist, and a Scuba Diver) all with magenta backgrounds and all transferred from 6.15.6 and displayed without the magenta background on my 60CSx.

I was curious if the Mapsouce measuring tool button would indicate the same distance from your waypoint to the proximity circle in all directions along the eliptical of your Canadian waypt., and it did, even though the distances are drastically different visually.

Edited by eaparks

Screenshots with Custom Waypoint Symbols where magenta background does not show up on 60CSx transferred via Mapsouce 6.15.6 after first installing Mapsource 6.15.5. 60CSx software 3.70 and chipset 3.0. The 60CSx (3.70) has no hunting waypt. symbols except for a deer. Only the tracks, duck, and tree stand have magenta backgrounds.

2321478500105013954S600x600Q85.jpg

2133790200105013954S600x600Q85.jpg

The issue we are talking about is not the waypoints on the GPS but the waypoints in mapsource on the PC. Prior to 6.15.6 (acutally I think 6.15.3 or there abouts) the waypoints in mapsource did NOT show the magenta background, but appeared as they do on the GPS. Your mapsource screenshot clearly shows the problem.

Jim

Edited by jholly

The Tissot's Indicatrix at Garmin's Kansas office also shows a slight distortion (flattening) due to the Equirectangular projection that they are using (and it appears that they are using the parallel of Rhodes for measurements of latitude as per Marinus of Tyre):

ef7ae160-62d5-4a67-882f-bdbc75fd9ba5.jpg

Too bad there isn't a reprojection option in MapSource, as there is in most mapping software.

Started yesterday to play around with custom symbols, but hated the ugly magenta. So today I had a quick look why the symbols no longer show transparency correctly. Well, the fix is quite easy, just use .png files with transparency. So instead of 000.bmp, use 000.png and so on. After I saw the PNG resources within the exe it was quite easy to figure out what happens ... sad that Garmin was not able to update the help/documentation about that subject :blink:

Started yesterday to play around with custom symbols, but hated the ugly magenta. So today I had a quick look why the symbols no longer show transparency correctly. Well, the fix is quite easy, just use .png files with transparency. So instead of 000.bmp, use 000.png and so on. After I saw the PNG resources within the exe it was quite easy to figure out what happens ... sad that Garmin was not able to update the help/documentation about that subject :blink:

So how do you turn .bmp's into .png's?

I used GIMP, opened the bmp, added alpha channel (needed for transparency), used the eraser to remove the magenta and saved the image as PNG. I had to look it up myself too, I'm sure the info how to do it in photoshop is somewhere to be found on the Internet.

And remember to remove (or rename) the 000.bmp when you place the 000.png in the folder, the bmp has a higher priority and would get used when both bmp and png are present.