Record book or album

farmwife

Does everybody keep a record book or album of their cache finds? Something that logs or records location, items left/taken, any interesting info about the find? Would love to hear (or see pictures) of what you do. Preferably not kept on the computer or website. Something tangible like a scrapbook you can flip thru the pages.

Edited by farmwife

Does everybody keep a record book or album of their cache finds? Something that logs or records location, items left/taken, any interesting info about the find? Would love to hear (or see pictures) of what you do.

Well my wife and I use GSAK. It will keep a database of all of your finds, hides, and unfound. And you are able to add pictures to each individual cache and add notes too each one. It makes it easier to go back and find them also just by typing in the name and it will bring up caches with the keyword or words.

We use a Composition note book, the black and white cover one like we all remember from school. Before we go out for the day I will write each waypoint ID and the cache name leaving a few spaces inbetween for field notes. We have found it works very well for us and when we fill one up we will just archive it for future reference.

I use GSAK and if it was a clever/difficult hide, I will add a note. Then, if a friend calls for help, I can refer back to GSAK,

Another tip: Write a descriptive log that will help you remember the cache visit. Don't write any spoilers, just some stuff that will tweak your memory.

I love my Geocaching notebook. It's a 1 in binder with two pockets on each inside cover, and I put 5 tabs in there. The tabs have things like "Not Found" "My Caches" "Notes" "Information" and "Found" on them. Not found is for all the caches I have identified in areas I frequent that I would like to hunt. My Caches is empty as of yet but someday will have printouts from all the lovely caches i will place :D . Notes has blank notebook paper and some field notes from different caches, plus printouts of caches I've tried to find but suspect are MIA, so I can notify the COs. Information is right now filled with stuff I've printed from the Geocaching webpage and FAQs so that I can easily reference things in the field and, in the case that my notebook gets lost or stolen, someone else can learn about the sport and have a ready-to-go notebook to use <_< . Finally the last tab is for my Found caches. This was alot easier to keep up with when I had ready access to a working printer, but as someone else mentioned could fill up quickly. I suppose I'm lucky to have to 'manually print' my caches now, so I tend to get 3 -4 caches on a piece of lined notebook paper with the cache info on it, plus my notes on when i found it, who was with me, what the circumstances were so I can properly log stuff back on the website.

I wish I had a picture of the front cover, I've been filling it up with stickers from all over the place. If I make another one of these notebooks some day, I will try to find a sticker from each city/location I cache at to put on the cover.

Anyway here are the pics from a few weeks ago. It's had some love since then, in the form of being knocked around in my caching bag. Upgraded that, so now I can carry all my stuff in one big canvas messenger bag (but it's so heavy!):

3370129215_5fd80b3823.jpg

3370951754_1204b4b2f9.jpg

And as you can see, I try to take pictures of interesting caches and things I see on the way with my trusty polaroid camera :D Pictures are kept in the back pocket for now.

I will be getting another notebook to put trade items and sigs I pick up in. Since I only have one or two right now it hasn't been an issue yet. Most people recommend protective plastic sheets with pockets for slides or coins. Haven't been out to the numistmatist shop yet to see what they might have.