Which maps & where to get them?

We are completely new to Geocaching (& to GPS devices). We've just bought an Oregon 300 & I know we'll need to buy new maps for it (the pre-loaded one is a bit rubbish).

Does anyone know hwere else you can get them other than the Garmin web site?

Being completely new to it all any other tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks very much

I bought my TopoGB online, I just searched for cheapest price (at the time it was at Global Gizmos). I've found the TopoGB maps very useful - probably more so for walking trips than for geocaching though. They are routable too, so they saved me having to buy a satnav for our cars -I just take my 60CSx along.

Edited by Yearofthegoat

There are free maps available from OpenStreetMapping (look for posts in this forum by TalkyToaster.

There are also some nice Ordnance Survey maps now available. These are called Garmin GB Discoverer and are available for National Parks and National Trails. You might be lucky and have a map available near where you live.

Other than that there are Topo and Topo2 maps from Garmin which are good for contours, roads and some tracks.

There are free maps available from OpenStreetMapping (look for posts in this forum by TalkyToaster.

There are also some nice Ordnance Survey maps now available. These are called Garmin GB Discoverer and are available for National Parks and National Trails. You might be lucky and have a map available near where you live.

Other than that there are Topo and Topo2 maps from Garmin which are good for contours, roads and some tracks.

We have been using the OSM maps supplied by TalkyToaster on our Oregon for a few months now and they are absolutely brillliant. We put them on a micro Sd card and just update them each time Talky Toaster informs this forum of an update. Its just so easy. IMHO dont bother wasting your cash on the Garmin Topo maps

Fantastic! Thanks for the suggestions, I've sorted the free map thing from talky toaster. I put it straight onto the device as my micro sd card hasn't arrived yet. seems to work really well & will take the pressure off buying one.

nick

I print off the Streetmap page to show the footpaths when caches are away from the road.