What kind of packer are you?

Hello Geocachers,

Many geocachers carry a backpack around with them. Some people bring only a GPS and pen. Others love to pack up and be prepared. Like packing Flashlights, matches, extra pencils or pens(if led breaks or ink runs out).

I've always loved to over pack. One tip "Expect the unexpected.", I bring many things, such as; Umbrella, matches, pens and pencils, oviously my GPS, and other tools I may need to get me out of a tough situation.

I once met a cop while looking for a cache, he was thinking i was pretty suspicious(seeing it was late). He pulls up in a car, and i had my handy backpack and my pocket sized "All you need to know about Geocaching" books. He read the first page of the book and let me be. He ask if i needed a flashlight, oviously i said no because i already have a bright one, because i also bring plenty of batteries.

Now, show your stories and what kind of packer are you.

-Cody from Team Brantley

I try hard to strike a balance, which means taking about half of whatever I come up on my first packing list, but more than some of the more seasoned hikers I know. Of course the length and difficulty of the hike and who is coming along makes a big difference, too.

I'm just getting going again after a long break from hiking and camping, partly thanks to my son's interest in geocaching. :rolleyes: It's amazing how much of my gear was lost, given away, or ruined in the intervening time. I guess I'll be a very light packer until I can get around to some serious shopping!

--Susan

When it comes to multi-day backpacking trips in the mountains, I learned very quickly that it pays to be a "smart" packer. On my first trip the backpack was pushing 60 pounds and the intended 40 mile hike ended at 20 miles. Of course I was carrying eggs, cans of vegetables, beer, clothes for every day, a heavy multi-tool, two-man tent, and several other luxuries that would be best left home. Now I have trimmed the weight on my back down into the 25 pound range.

I traded my six pound backpack for a 1 pound 10 ounce Golite Pinnacle Pack, the 4 pound tent was replaced with a 2 pound hammock, a simple knife was used instead of my multi-tool (did I really need umpteen blades and a pair of pliers?), and heavy clothes were replaced with a couple sets of lightweight hiking clothes. One of the biggest savings was on food where I began using nearly all dry packaged meals that mix with water. My hiking partner and I also share gear such as I will carry the water filter while he carries a Jetboil stove. In the end, we have everything we need for a fun and safe hiking experience, pared down to minimal weight. Oh yeah, if there are caches along the way I do have my trusty yellow Etrex!

Yes, when i went to alanta once a reporter came up to me while i was geocaching, and ask if he could take a picture, then i was through in the alanta news, with my name and everything.

I try to go as least as a can. Depending on were im going, how high it is, whats the weather, ect... Like if i was going to some ski resort, i would take all the sweaters and gear to go skiing too :rolleyes:. I love to be organized, and put my clothes in layers by each day im going to wear them.

-Cody from Team Brantley

Edited by Team Brantley

I'm a water buffalo. I carry minimal gear that I have prepackaged into small pouches that I can throw into my pack or hang from my belt. But I carry lots of water--up to two gallons during the hot months. And some V8 or Endurolyte tabs for salt replacement.

Edited by Mule Ears

What I carry depends where the cache is located in an urban area where I can get close to a cache with my vehicle I just carry the GPSr,a compass, and a pen and some trade items in my pocket. On more rural hikes of a 1/2 mile or more I have a small daypack with water, snacks, TP, maps, GPSr, camera, cell phone binoculars, flashlight, compass, extra batteries, bug spray, first aid kit, matches, space blanket an assortment of swag, my rubber stamp and ink pad. I also have extra pens and pencils some extra plastic bags, and some duct tape. I also may carry a rain poncho or handwarmers depending on the season. On a longer day hike I may take a penny stove with fuel and a pot to heat some water for a small meal or coffee or tea. Certain items are added or taken out, as a cache decription maybe there is a lake or stream nearby I will add a fishing rod and gear to do some fishing. The idea is to customize your pack to each hike. Over time you get rid of some items and add new ones. Thats some of the fun. :laughing:

When I go hiking I pack ultra light. If I'm just going out geocaching I take just what I need. A fisher space pen, my iPhone 3G, pak lite, solar charger for iPhone, camel pack for water, and a handful of survival tabs. Of course I take my I.D. and Debit Card as well. When I go hiking and plan on staying out more then a few days, I take my pack and MSR gear. Moved from Arkansas to Arlington, Texas so now it's all mostly urban jungle.

I didn't grow up in Wisconsin (I'm a FIB), but most of the folks around here are Packer backers.

On day trips, I keep it real spare. Water, lunch, a pocket knife and raingear is about as complicated as I get. Map and compass come along if in unfamiliar territory. I am a long, long way from anything resembling wilderness, so a lot of gear is not helpful.

I'm a pretty heavy packer. I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

Some things in my day pack:

Emergency bivy shelter

space blanket

insect head net

bug repellent

binoculars

small bottle of hand sanitizer

first aid kit

compass and maps

extra batteries

hand held Princeton Tec flashlight and Petzel Tikka headlamp

extra carabiners

100 feet of parachute cord

mini roll of duct tape (I also wrap duct tape on my hiking pole so it's there when I need it)

moleskins

Leatherman tool

Gorillapod

TP

raincoat and waterproof pack cover

nylon windbreaker

polar fleece vest

a few pens

extra socks

a few granola bars

a really loud whistle

waterproof matches

lighter

fire starters

lexan spork

safety pins

Awl and sewing kit

Edited by briansnat

being a keen survival enthusiast, and very new to geocaching i pretty much take the same stuff as if i was going foraging or just walking the dogs,

knife (fixed blade or lock)

survival tin (not a lot i can't do with it)

water bottle or flask depending on the weather

mobile phone (n95) with viewranger maps on it

and i obviously dress to suit the climate :D

BUT when i go out with the wife and kids THATS A WHOLE NEW BALL GAME :P

a 90ltr bergan would just about hold the kit i have to take then :D:laughing:

I'm a pretty heavy packer. I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

Some things in my day pack:

Emergency bivy shelter

space blanket

insect head net

bug repellent

binoculars

small bottle of hand sanitizer

first aid kit

compass and maps

extra batteries

hand held Princeton Tec flashlight and Petzel Tikka headlamp

extra carabiners

100 feet of parachute cord

mini roll of duct tape (I also wrap duct tape on my hiking pole so it's there when I need it)

moleskins

Leatherman tool

Gorillapod

TP

raincoat and waterproof pack cover

nylon windbreaker

polar fleece vest

a few pens

extra socks

a few granola bars

a really loud whistle

waterproof matches

lighter

fire starters

lexan spork

safety pins

Awl and sewing kit

My pack is much like Briansnat's. It starts at 30+ lbs and goes up according to anticipated water needs when the area is known to be lacking of reliable water sources (imagine that condition in the wet side of WA state). The gear I pack is designed to keep me for at least 2 nights if I'm injured and can't hike out.

For urban caching, I use a waist pouch to carry the basics - a phone, pen, GPS, leave-behinds, batteries, and a few personalized calling coins.

For trips outside the urban area, I always take a somewhat large day pack, currently a Kelty Redwing 3100. I load the pack down with the Ten Essentials, a few trail food bars, and plenty of water (usually at least two 1-L Nalgenes). The 10-E's are tailored for the season. Bottom line, I'd easily survive in relative comfort if I ended up getting stuck for a few days or longer.

I almost always use the water myself, but funny thing is, I often find myself loaning or giving somebody else something out of my pack, anything from a piece of Duct Tape (never go into the field without it), to bandages, to batteries, to water, to directions on the map. Invariably, the borrowers almost always say they never need this stuff and thus don't carry it - how ironic!

WATER? I was typically carrying a lot of water even on a day hike in case I get stuck out there. I've just added a Steripen water purifier to my day pack - I'm thrilled with it - this has cut down tremendously on the amount of water I carry and decreased my carry weight accordingly.

I think I am lean a little towards the lighter side. When going for a day of hiking/caching I take my camel back with water (of course), a first aid kit, fire producing device, snacks, and I usually take my spot tracker, even though, on a simple hike where cell phone coverage is possible, I usually leave it turned off.

I typically pack according to the cache I'm heading to and time of year (weather).

Normal daypack on average consists of;

*2 nalgene water bottles (me)

*1 water bottle dogs

*2 knives

*cell phone

*couple of granola bars

*dog treats for the dogs

*small stash of geocoins

*camera

*topo/rec. maps of the area

*chapstick

*small notebook/couple of pens

*GPS

*binocs

*gum

*ID/check book (in case I can bribe a bear out of attacking me :D)

Looking at some of the other lists, I feel so bare.