Caution when searching.

ram968pt

My wife forward this notice to me & I thought I would pass it on. This is rather disturbing, but a sign of the times. Please share this with everyone you know.

Subject: FW: Roadside Cleanup and Hike Danger BE AWARE

We had an incident yesterday on State Game Lands #198 in Blair county! F&C crew was out painting boundary and pulled off the road into a pull off and saw a 5 gallon plastic gas container. One of the guys went to retrieve it and realized something wasn't right when he saw it had been drilled and had 2 fittings attached to it and it was "Cookin". They called the WCO who came over and immediately called PSP because he thought it was a "One Pot" operation. They sent their Meth Lab Team over from Greensburg and Butler to take care of it. Turns out, the on scene Chemist determined it was an anhydrous ammonia generator from a big operation and it was still working. There is no doubt our guys are going to be coming across some of the one pot operations on their patrols. From what I have read there are several ways of doing the one pot method and one is to add some of the ingredients and let it work for a while then add a little more and repeat until all ingredients are added and it is done. That method reduces (?) the danger/odds of explosion. The other method is to add everything at once and let it cook until done. I suspect this method will be popular because they will just go to an isolated area (SGL or State Forest) mix a batch up and leave the area and come back later to see if it exploded or to retrieve it after it is done. This method is the one our guys are most likely to encounter and the odds of explosion if it is disturbed is higher.

Boalsburg Fire Co. in Centre County was sent out with the PSP on Wednesday while they dismantled a "Meth Lab" on Bear Meadows Rd. The "meth Lab" consisted of several soda bottles sitting harmlessly in the woods. They now can make the meth without "cooking" it. The chemicals are mixed in the containers and left setting in the woods to vent and cure. The Fireman were told if an unsuspecting person would have kicked the bottles over at the wrong time, they would have exploded. Be alert for a group of un-naturally grouped bottles while afield. Just another danger to tuck away.

Gerald McKernan | Environmental Emergency Response Manager

Department of Environmental Protection

208 West Third Street, Suite 101, Williamsport, PA 17701

Phone: (570) 327-3722 | Fax: (570) 327-3565

My wife forward this notice to me & I thought I would pass it on. This is rather disturbing, but a sign of the times. Please share this with everyone you know.

Subject: FW: Roadside Cleanup and Hike Danger BE AWARE

We had an incident yesterday on State Game Lands #198 in Blair county! F&C crew was out painting boundary and pulled off the road into a pull off and saw a 5 gallon plastic gas container. One of the guys went to retrieve it and realized something wasn't right when he saw it had been drilled and had 2 fittings attached to it and it was "Cookin". They called the WCO who came over and immediately called PSP because he thought it was a "One Pot" operation. They sent their Meth Lab Team over from Greensburg and Butler to take care of it. Turns out, the on scene Chemist determined it was an anhydrous ammonia generator from a big operation and it was still working. There is no doubt our guys are going to be coming across some of the one pot operations on their patrols. From what I have read there are several ways of doing the one pot method and one is to add some of the ingredients and let it work for a while then add a little more and repeat until all ingredients are added and it is done. That method reduces (?) the danger/odds of explosion. The other method is to add everything at once and let it cook until done. I suspect this method will be popular because they will just go to an isolated area (SGL or State Forest) mix a batch up and leave the area and come back later to see if it exploded or to retrieve it after it is done. This method is the one our guys are most likely to encounter and the odds of explosion if it is disturbed is higher.

Boalsburg Fire Co. in Centre County was sent out with the PSP on Wednesday while they dismantled a "Meth Lab" on Bear Meadows Rd. The "meth Lab" consisted of several soda bottles sitting harmlessly in the woods. They now can make the meth without "cooking" it. The chemicals are mixed in the containers and left setting in the woods to vent and cure. The Fireman were told if an unsuspecting person would have kicked the bottles over at the wrong time, they would have exploded. Be alert for a group of un-naturally grouped bottles while afield. Just another danger to tuck away.

Gerald McKernan | Environmental Emergency Response Manager

Department of Environmental Protection

208 West Third Street, Suite 101, Williamsport, PA 17701

Phone: (570) 327-3722 | Fax: (570) 327-3565

Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder what's more dangerous: Finding a hidden meth lab, or wandering near one when the criminal making it is around.

You win the prize. Some cachers have done this too.

Has anyone read up on what meth does? It makes you very paranoid. Imagine stumbling upon their setup caching with a paranoid meth person there.

Caching is a lot more dangerous than people think.

What is nuts is the this was not even on our local news.

Here in Pa our fishing season starts on the 18th, as well a our youth turkey season. The state campgrounds are opening this month as well. Warmer weather is finally coming so the woods will be full of people.

What is nuts is the this was not even on our local news.

Here in Pa our fishing season starts on the 18th, as well a our youth turkey season. The state campgrounds are opening this month as well. Warmer weather is finally coming so the woods will be full of people.

Perhaps you can forward the notice to your local media yourself.

That's a good reminder RE awareness of our surroundings in the woods. Many moons ago as a young pup, was hunting back in the hills around here. Emerged into a clearing down in a holler, and was only 50 yards or so away from a well-maintained still (moonshine, white lightnin', whatever your local vernacular may call illegal whiskey). Fortunately, no one home - needless to say, made a very quick exit. And as several have pointed out above, these modern day illegal activities are far more dangerous: both the people and the materials are far more violent-natured.

If you do stumble across a site, do notjust turn around a beat a hasty retreat. Many of the cookers will place booby-traps near their site to protect it. Try and trace the route you came in on back out, but be cautious, as you may have missed a wire or something on the way in and hit it as you rush back out. Also, mark the location with your GPS and call LE as soon as you are in a clear area.