I feel like i stumbled into hogwarts

The Huntin' Hammetts

I think I understand what a muggle is, not sure I get the refference though, but am I supposed to always try to avoid people seeing me find a cache. Is that part of the challenge.

Also planning a multi family camping trip in a state park where there are multiple caches plpus some in surrounding. Has anyone ever broken into teams in a scenario like this and made a race of finding your cache before the other guy. Any rules against that?

but am I supposed to always try to avoid people seeing me find a cache. Is that part of the challenge.

Yes. Reason being : if you're seen by non geocachers, they might : call the police, or come look at what you're searching for and remove / vandalize the cache.

Also planning a multi family camping trip in a state park where there are multiple caches plus some in surrounding. Has anyone ever broken into teams in a scenario like this and made a race of finding your cache before the other guy. Any rules against that?

Nope, play it whichever way is more fun for you.