DeLorme PN-40 vs Garmin Colorado 300 - HELP!

Angie D300

I need some quick help. i'm minutes away from ordering either the Lorme PN-40 or Garmin Colorado 300. Ive researched both GPS's over & over, but here are my concerns from what i researched...

*Are the Delorme maps really hard to understand

*Are the basemaps that come on the Garmin really useless

*Which GPS is the fastest (people swear that the Delorme is super fast)

*Which would perform better in places like the basic "suburb" areas of Orlando, FL & city streets/tall buildings of NYC?

PS...i'm really not concerned about using either one as a street/car/road/turn by turn GPS...Just Trails & GEOCACHING!!!

While both may be "overkill" at this time for me, but i need something that i can grow into & not have to drop more $$ later to upgrade.

As always, i appreciate any help with my questions!!!

Edited by Angie D300

Loading their precut Topo 7 maps is pretty easy. If you want to start downloading more detailed topo maps and sat photos it gets a bit more difficult. I'm pretty tech savvy and it took me at least a full day to figure it out. I was at points able to get maps downloaded but not quite sure how I did so. The software is clunky and not very intuitive. And reeeeeeally slow. Loading the detailed maps for my unit took about 6 hours and

I wasn't selecting that large an area.

Yes. They only show major roads.

I can't speak to the Oregon because I only played around with one for a short time, but when comparing the PN40 to my 60CSX, the Garmin is much faster to draw screens and perform routing calculations. I heard the same thing about the PN40 and was quite disappointed with its speed. Fast maybe compared to a PN20, but compared to a 60CSX it's glacial.

*Which would perform better in places like the basic "suburb" areas of Orlando, FL & city streets/tall buildings of NYC?

During my recent NYC excursion I was very pleased at the performance of the PN40. It got a lock quicker than my 60CSX and held it longer. I wasn't using them side by side at the time though, so perhaps when I used my 60CSX conditions were different.

I understand that the Oregon doesn't perform quite as well as the 60CSX in this area so I have to think the PN40 would win this race. In the woods it's a different story. My PN40 constantly loses a lock and this is with no leaves on the trees yet. Worse yet, it won't regain a lock until I turn the unit off and back on. My 60CSX never loses a lock, at least that I've noticed. Again the Oregon isn't quite up to the 60CSX reception-wise, but I judging from the performance of my PN40 it would have to be miles ahead of it.

My PN40 is about equal to my eTrex Legend reception-wise, and the only legend that unit had was lousy reception. I complained about the PN40 reception issues over in the GPS forum and was told that I might have a defective unit. If that is the case then I'm on my third defective unit in a row because I had to send my first two back and all three had the same problem.

I really want to like the PN40, but at the moment I find it hard to recommend to anybody. The only reason I haven't sent it back for a full refund is because it was a gift and doing so would disappoint the gift giver. So now I geocache with two units. The PN40 for finding the cache and my 60CSX for everything else.

Loading their precut Topo 7 maps is pretty easy. If you want to start downloading more detailed topo maps and sat photos it gets a bit more difficult. I'm pretty tech savvy and it took me at least a full day to figure it out. I was at points able to get maps downloaded but not quite sure how I did so. The software is clunky and not very intuitive. And reeeeeeally slow. Loading the detailed maps for my unit took about 6 hours and

I wasn't selecting that large an area.

Yes. They only show major roads.

I can't speak to the Oregon because I only played around with one for a short time, but when comparing the PN40 to my 60CSX, the Garmin is much faster to draw screens and perform routing calculations. I heard the same thing about the PN40 and was quite disappointed with its speed. Fast maybe compared to a PN20, but compared to a 60CSX it's glacial.

During my recent NYC excursion I was very pleased at the performance of the PN40. It got a lock quicker than my 60CSX and held it longer. I wasn't using them side by side at the time though, so perhaps when I used my 60CSX conditions were different.

I understand that the Oregon doesn't perform quite as well as the 60CSX in this area so I have to think the PN40 would win this race. In the woods it's a different story. My PN40 constantly loses a lock and this is with no leaves on the trees yet. Worse yet, it won't regain a lock until I turn the unit off and back on. My 60CSX never loses a lock, at least that I've noticed. Again the Oregon isn't quite up to the 60CSX reception-wise, but I judging from the performance of my PN40 it would have to be miles ahead of it.

My PN40 is about equal to my eTrex Legend reception-wise, and the only legend that unit had was lousy reception. I complained about the PN40 reception issues over in the GPS forum and was told that I might have a defective unit. If that is the case then I'm on my third defective unit in a row because I had to send my first two back and all three had the same problem.

I really want to like the PN40, but at the moment I find it hard to recommend to anybody. The only reason I haven't sent it back for a full refund is because it was a gift and doing so would disappoint the gift giver. So now I geocache with two units. The PN40 for finding the cache and my 60CSX for everything else.

WOW...that's good advice! I'm shock to see that the PN40 did well in the city...that's one of my big concerns. Also, i knew that the Oregon wasn't up to par with the 60CSX...even if does cost $100's more. I was wondering how the Colorado 300 performs. I like the 60CSX, but really looking to get something Paperless.

I consider my self "tech savvy" too, but like you & many other "tech savvy" people said, the PN40 map's are difficult to learn. On the flip side, at least there are more maps included (or at least unlimited for about $30) for the PN40, versus the Garmin's, where you get a useless basemap then have to pay alot for other maps.

This is a new "techy-device" field for me. I've had every "tech-toy" you can think of, but this is the hardest to shop for...so many things to take into consideration & i'm running out of time.

Again, i really appreciate your advice & help!!!

I understand that the Oregon doesn't perform quite as well as the 60CSX in this area so I have to think the PN40 would win this race.

The OR / CO and PN-40 have the same chipset. They are very similar in terms of accuracy etc. For example, they both had issues with WAAS recently but both companies are hot on the heels of fixes and seems to have made great progress. Both units have stellar reception now, look at the PN-40 forums and OR forums and you'll see tests against the 60CSx all the time e.g. http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-beta-293/ . They both do well, and indeed have extra features than the 60CSX chip (e.g. both units have instant locks as the chip can predict where the satellites will be when turned on).

edit: I see you said CO, not OR. Same chipset but there haven't been so thick and fast updates for the CO...but Garmin has said they do have an update for the CO planned in the future which we assume incldes all the OR accurcay updates as well.

Edited by Maingray

I need some quick help. i'm minutes away from ordering either the Lorme PN-40 or Garmin Colorado 300. Ive researched both GPS's over & over, but here are my concerns from what i researched...

PS...i'm really not concerned about using either one as a street/car/road/turn by turn GPS...Just Trails & GEOCACHING!!!

While both may be "overkill" at this time for me, but i need something that i can grow into & not have to drop more $$ later to upgrade.

As always, i appreciate any help with my questions!!!

Your questions:

1. The maps on the delorme are very good. The software to load past the included Topo DVDs takes time to understand and use.

2. Yes. You would need to buy City navigator for roads and / or Topo for well...topos..

3. The CO is faster. But that so depends on what maps you have installed. take home.. both are fast, but the PN can get bogged down. It's why it needed a dual processor.

4. Both should perform equally well / bad.

My take as you stated you want paperless but not bothered by road routing (at which the CO + City navigator excels) and you seem like you want to at least try the mapping of the PN-40..and if you are like me and just want to see if you ike it, try the PN-40 and if you don't like..give back.

edit: I see you said the CO, not the OR...my bad. For me the killer feature of the OR was the touchscreen, I'm not so big a fan of the CO. So even more reason to go for the PN-40 at least for starters.

Edited by Maingray

Briansnat's experiencex with slow map loading is NOT typical at all, I have loaded large areas and they didn't take all that long! Also, loding the maps to the TOPO 7 means the maps are yours to keep and you can then load them as you wish!

I wouldn't call the maps on the Garmin useless, but maybe lacking?

As for redraw speeds and route calculating, I can't say about the speed compared to others, but I have no complaints as to how fast it'll redraw maps (certainly not a problem even going 75 mph down the freeway). And routing, well, never had routing before, so I am already tickled pink about this, no complaints there!!

And reception...I can tell you my PN-40 is SWEET!! Even in the heavy cover, I have yet to lose signal!

All in all, the unit you choose neds to please you, so make sure it does do what you want and choose wisely!! Personally, I can recommend the PN-40 because I happen to believe it is the best bang for the buck (but would have bought it even at the same price as the Garmins)!!

If you want to, you could buy a DeLorme and give it a 30 day workout to see if it's right for you....

Good luck.

No, really... the garmin basemap on the CO / OR 300 is next to useless. For the detailed topo basemaps to come with the unit they'd need to buy the CO / OR 400t models. Or buy Topo 2008 for the 300.

I own a Colorado 300 and I absolutely love it. Easy to learn and to use. Full paperless just takes minutes to load and use. Screen re-draws are fast and it is a really very accurate unit. My personal choice when I go out Geocaching. Holds a signal very well under most conditions.

I have very limited experience and time with a PN-40 - I think there is a huge amount of potential there but overall - I just think it needs polished a bit - just seemed a bit clumsy to me and slower than my Garmin's. I found the mapping stuff to be a bit confusing as well. But wow - lots of potential there.

I own a Garmin 60Csx and I was in the same boat as you.

I went to REI (no questions asked return policy) and bought the PN-40 because of the maps. In my opinion, it's a very capable unit but the Topo 7 is a users nightmare and it took me 3 days of downloading to get the aerial imagery of San Diego county loaded. The downloads are horribly slow, but cheap and the images are pretty but you can't zoom into too much or they pixilate. After 30 days I finally gave up and returned the unit. The user interface was too daunting and I had to change the defaults on almost every page to accomadate geocaching functionality. The map re-draw speeds on the unit were not a problem at all. There are a few DeLorme fans who swear by them, but for me it was too difficult to use.

I passed over the Colorado based on the experiences of several friends. Lack of accuracy was the big complaint.

I then bought the Oregon 300. I'm really happy with it. It's easy to use, but it IS more expensive and the basemaps only have major roads. I ended up finding it on-line at compu-u-plus for $382 and there is a $50 Garmin rebate until 5/20. The I had to shell out $99 for the City Navigator NT 2009. I already own the topo maps, and they are not locked to a specific s/n, but I know a guy who borrowed his friend's topo and installed it for free...

There are a lot of comparison threads to look at. For me the better daytime screen visibility of the PN-40 was more than offset by the ease of use and larger screen size of the Oregon.

No, really... the garmin basemap on the CO / OR 300 is next to useless. For the detailed topo basemaps to come with the unit they'd need to buy the CO / OR 400t models. Or buy Topo 2008 for the 300.

Not so much useless, but not a real serious map. At this time, i really need something for geocaching around Orlando & then something for NYC. So, i'm really not sure what maps would be sufficient.

I love my Colorado! I doubt many people care about this but only Garmin's units can use Wherigo. I really enjoy them.

StaticTank

YES!!! Wherigo...that is something that i read about & was very interested in doing. But, like you said, only Garmins are capable of Wherigo

Briansnat's experiencex with slow map loading is NOT typical at all, I have loaded large areas and they didn't take all that long! Also, loding the maps to the TOPO 7 means the maps are yours to keep and you can then load them as you wish!

As for redraw speeds and route calculating, I can't say about the speed compared to others, but I have no complaints as to how fast it'll redraw maps (certainly not a problem even going 75 mph down the freeway). And routing, well, never had routing before, so I am already tickled pink about this, no complaints there!!

And reception...I can tell you my PN-40 is SWEET!! Even in the heavy cover, I have yet to lose signal!

All in all, the unit you choose neds to please you, so make sure it does do what you want and choose wisely!! Personally, I can recommend the PN-40 because I happen to believe it is the best bang for the buck (but would have bought it even at the same price as the Garmins)!!

If you want to, you could buy a DeLorme and give it a 30 day workout to see if it's right for you....

Good luck.

Thanks...that's my prob...i've never used a GPS like these, but i know that i don't want to start out simple & then drop more $$ to upgrade. Also, i'm not sure what i need. Like i mentioned before, i'll be using it all around Orlando, in NYC & eventually in some trails here in Florida.

Also, i can't seem to find any place here in Central FL that i could just go buy the Delorme & try it. At this point, the one thing that concerns me is MAPS...

Thanks again for the advice...i think you may helped me in deciding!!

Good luck.

Thanks...that's my prob...i've never used a GPS like these, but i know that i don't want to start out simple & then drop more $$ to upgrade. Also, i'm not sure what i need. Like i mentioned before, i'll be using it all around Orlando, in NYC & eventually in some trails here in Florida.

Also, i can't seem to find any place here in Central FL that i could just go buy the Delorme & try it. At this point, the one thing that concerns me is MAPS...

Thanks again for the advice...i think you may helped me in deciding!!

You wouldn't be needing to upgrade anytime in the near future with the PN-40, and you'd not be breaking the bank as well. The maps you need come with the PN-40, no more to buy unless you want to check out the AWESOME aerial imagery, the sat imagery, the hi-res city aerials etc...there's a very affordable subriction for those ($30/yr, you keep all maps you download)!

So, NYC...hi-res city aeirials would be perfect there. Orlando, I believe you're covered there as well! Aerial imagery is almost everywhere, so you could get them for your area and for any areas you travel to as well. There's is a bit of work to do this, and it is time consuming (unless you "set it and forget it" to load at night while you sleep) :blink: And you'll have to learn a little...but it's pretty simple if you can follow step-by-step instructions!

Now, let's not downplay the OR, it's a nice unit as well. It's also paperless, it's also capable of routing (with more money invested), you can do everything the PN-40 does, some is better, some not! Some like the touchscreen, I find it "foggy" and I'm scared of the chance of breaking it. Some like the paperless, say it's better than the PN-40...I don't know anything about this, but I wonder how it could get any better!

You're lucky to start at the top, I started at the bottom and worked my way up! Either unit will keep you happy for some time, now you just need to decide which one would be best for you!

I got the OR 300, loved the touchscreen, the road routing (felt as good as the etrex Vista HCX+ City navigator) but missed some of the "serious" GPS function of the Vista HCX.....tempted to the PN-40, went ooh at the maps and aerials for a bit, showed my buddies the screen a bit (...two of them then realised they needed new glasses.. but anyway, that's off topic), realised the preparation time for the maps (I travel a lot at the drop of a hat) and how poor the topo-based maps and unit algorithms were for routing, and just sheer plain missed the touch screen and the ability to yank up full cache info of a cache with one finger prod of a map. The paperless mode of the OR / CO is awesome (although there are subtle UI differences between the two).

Returned the PN-40 and re-bought the OR. REI saw a lot of me those weeks. City navigator, Topo and all the custom free garmin maps ( http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ ) are good enough for me. Garmin has been very proactive in making the OR a better unit recently as well.

I got the OR 300, loved the touchscreen, the road routing (felt as good as the etrex Vista HCX+ City navigator) but missed some of the "serious" GPS function of the Vista HCX.....tempted to the PN-40, went ooh at the maps and aerials for a bit, showed my buddies the screen a bit (...two of them then realised they needed new glasses.. but anyway, that's off topic), realised the preparation time for the maps (I travel a lot at the drop of a hat) and how poor the topo-based maps and unit algorithms were for routing, and just sheer plain missed the touch screen and the ability to yank up full cache info of a cache with one finger prod of a map. The paperless mode of the OR / CO is awesome (although there are subtle UI differences between the two).

Returned the PN-40 and re-bought the OR. REI saw a lot of me those weeks. City navigator, Topo and all the custom free garmin maps ( http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ ) are good enough for me. Garmin has been very proactive in making the OR a better unit recently as well.

Ahhh...now i'm going the Garmin way...just joking. I'm learning alot...especially about what i'm really looking for. So, I guess its fair to say that both the PN40 & Colorado are very good GPS devices. One thing that you said that has my attention is about the free custom maps at gpsfiledepot.com site (of course i would donate).

I think i also like the Wherigo function that's only available on the Garmin.

Well, again, i appreciate all the help with this...and i will continue to research!!

I struggled with the same question for 6 months. I finally decided on the DeLorme PN40SE. I went with the SE because of the 8gb internal memory and the ability to use a 32gb card. I ordered mine from DeLorme.com. I paid a bunch for it but won't have to upgrade any time soon if at all.

As for the maps, it came with everything I could ever need. The only thing I would like to add is the arial map but that is just a want and can be easily and cheaply aquired with the 30 dollar membership for a year. The maps are incredible.

I had a tough start figuring out how to download caches, of course I am one that never reads the manuals, but have finally figured it out. It took me 3 minutes to download 500 caches with all the logs and hints.

I love my PN40 and have no regrets about buying this model. If I had it to do over I wouldn't change anything except how long I waited before I ordered it.

If you get the PN40 and want step by step instructions on downloading the caches send me an email and I will give them to you.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Lassen

Edited by Lassendograiser

Ahhh...now i'm going the Garmin way...just joking. I'm learning alot...especially about what i'm really looking for. So, I guess its fair to say that both the PN40 & Colorado are very good GPS devices. One thing that you said that has my attention is about the free custom maps at gpsfiledepot.com site (of course i would donate).

I think i also like the Wherigo function that's only available on the Garmin.

Well, again, i appreciate all the help with this...and i will continue to research!!

Both units have stellar reception now, look at the PN-40 forums and OR forums and you'll see tests against the 60CSx all the time e.g. http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-beta-293/ . They both do well, and indeed have extra features than the 60CSX chip (e.g. both units have instant locks as the chip can predict where the satellites will be when turned on).

Here are my GPS tracks when I carried both my PN40 and 60CSX on a hike

PN40

Delormetrack.jpg

60CSX

Garmin.jpg

Both units have stellar reception now, look at the PN-40 forums and OR forums and you'll see tests against the 60CSx all the time e.g. http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-beta-293/ . They both do well, and indeed have extra features than the 60CSX chip (e.g. both units have instant locks as the chip can predict where the satellites will be when turned on).

Here are my GPS tracks when I carried both my PN40 and 60CSX on a hike

PN40

Delormetrack.jpg

60CSX

Garmin.jpg

Do you know if the base map that comes pre-loaded on the Colorado 300 is good enough for geo caching...at least for the meantime?