Oregon 400t how to delete geocaches and change from found to unfound

Hi, I just got my Oregon 400t after using a rino and 12xl. I downloaded geocaches from the computer one at a time like I did for my Rino and I can not figure out how to delete them. What am I missing? I have heard you can do pocket queries, but I have not done that. I put the micro sd card in and downloaded caches again by sending to gps and I still can not find anywhere to delete caches. I want to delete found caches and unfound cahces. Waypoint manager does not seem to do it. I also accidentally marked a cache as found, I wanted to change it back to unfound and there is no screen to change this. Can anyone help me with this, I am not real computer literate so please try to help me.

Krislacy,

I think it depends on how you loaded them. If you loaded them by adding a .gpx file, just delete the .gpx, as Red90 posted.

If you added them individually, I think they might be loaded as waypoints, not geocaches (i.e. loaded with a .gpx). (I've never loaded caches this way, so I'm not totally sure if this is the case.) If that is the case, you can take them out using Mapsource.

Using MapSource, download all of your waypoints. Then delete all of your waypoints from the GPS. Go back to MapSource and delete what you don't want and then upload the remainder back to the GPS.

I recently found that if you load child waypoints using a .gpx to an Oregon (the -wpts.gpx file), they are loaded as regular waypoints, not geocaches. They will not be removed, even if you delete the .gpx. I had to use MapSource as I describe above to remove these.

Edited by New Jersey TJ

Krislacy,

I think it depends on how you loaded them. If you loaded them by adding a .gpx file, just delete the .gpx, as Red90 posted.

If you added them individually, I think they might be loaded as waypoints, not geocaches (i.e. loaded with a .gpx). (I've never loaded caches this way, so I'm not totally sure if this is the case.) If that is the case, you can take them out using Mapsource.

Using MapSource, download all of your waypoints. Then delete all of your waypoints from the GPS. Go back to MapSource and delete what you don't want and then upload the remainder back to the GPS.

I recently found that if you load child waypoints using a .gpx to an Oregon (the -wpts.gpx file), they are loaded as regular waypoints, not geocaches. They will not be removed, even if you delete the .gpx. I had to use MapSource as I describe above to remove these.

I reran the gsak macro and it reset my finds. Worked great. I like this OR 400t. Does anyone know how to tell if waas is on?

Have a peek here

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

If still confused, post again.

Thank you that really helped. I can now mark a found unfound but I am still struggling with how to get GSAK working, I will play some more tonight and see what happens.

I use FieldNotesImportandLog.gsk macro with gsak. It works good. You can download it here http://www.gsak.net/board//MacroIndex.php

Have a peek here

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

If still confused, post again.

Thank you that really helped. I can now mark a found unfound but I am still struggling with how to get GSAK working, I will play some more tonight and see what happens.

OK I am not a computer wizard. I still do not know how to delete waypoints from the Oregon when I loaded them one at a time by hitting 'send to GPS' I downloaded GSAK and can get a cache downloaded to the Oregon and deleted, but how do I get rid of the old geocaches that are on the Oregon. I am having trouble figuring out GSAK I tried deleting all waypoints/geocaches but then I unhook GPS and look and they are all still on the GPS. Any suggestions?

How do I change the cache answer you CAN NOT Oregon 400t

I found the answer on the wiki

But it was NOT what I wanted to see

How do I change the cache answer you CAN NOT

OK Garmin lets fix this

MY wifes GPSmap76CSx can do it click cache scroll down and edit text or co ords

If we are doing paperless caching I would like to be able to enter the points of the bonus cach or extra caches on route

eg Bonus cache this is not the location solve the other clues and then you go here !!

I used to just edit this bogus cache noe I can not

some one add it to wish list please

I use GPX and pocket queerry overite the old gpx each week so new caches are loaded

If you have not used GPX and pocket query it saves Log hints and all the info of the web page for EACH cache

Tip keep gpx on UNIT not sd as you can change maps on sd and still keep all caches

You cannot modify caches on the Oregon but if you want to enter new points for multis/mysteries it is very easy now. From the geocache page save the geocache as a waypoint (flag button), then press the edit waypoint button (pencil button and you need the latest 2.95 beta software) and change the location. You'll end up with a new waypoint that has the same name as the geocache at your new modified location.

Even though I could change geocache co-ordinates on the 60 etc, I never did..I always used to ADD a waypoint, say for the next stage in the multi, and edit that. I didn't want to lose the original waypoint. So I just do exactly the same on the OR. It's even easier now as they added a couple of shortcut buttons to do that, like g-o-cashers said.

You don't need to delete geocaches, you mark as found and use the paperless function of the OR to transfer to gc.com.

To Maingray's point, I did the same and several times accidentally modified (on the 60csx it is very easy to move a waypoint) or deleted geocaches. I like having the geocache information (including child waypoints as POIs) loaded as 'read-only' objects. My only gripe is that found and DNF'ed geocaches don't get exported to current.gpx to help with archiving my caching trips.

Plug the Oregon into a computer. Find the drive that represents the Oregon. Under Drive:\Garmin\GPX you will see a bunch or files labeled GCXXXXX.GPX. Each of those is a cache. Delete the ones you don't want.

Ok got it figured out thanks to Garmin Tech support. Forget about using GSAK, it was too complicated for me. You guys really helped along with Garmin. Here's what they told me

Plug Oragon into computer, go to MY COMPUTER, find the drive Garmin Oragon, open Garmin folder, Then open GPX folder and you will see all your geocaches listed there as gc----.gpx and you can delete them. It worked. I will eventually get used to the computer part of my Oragon. A big thank you to everybody that helped me.