Country-specific / region-specific reviewers for EC's

danieloliveira

I guess it would be OK to have additional volunteer reviewers and certainly a great deal of knowledge regarding geology would be required but I have one caution. Very few of us have PhDs in geology. I have taken an on line course, read a few books and have a PhD friend to keep me straight but my point is, we are not geologists! If geologists are selected as reviewers that's fine but a note to them: "remember, those caches that you are reviewing where not developed by geologists so don't read them as you would a PhD dissertation!

In other words, accuracy is important and should always strived for but keep the red pencil dull and not sharpened to a fine point! Don't treat geocachers like freshmen taking geology 101. No one appreciates volunteer reviewers on Groundspeak more than I but even some of them let their egos get in the way. Please don't let that happen here. Thanks. :)

I guess it would be OK to have additional volunteer reviewers and certainly a great deal of knowledge regarding geology would be required but I have one caution. Very few of us have PhDs in geology. I have taken an on line course, read a few books and have a PhD friend to keep me straight but my point is, we are not geologists! If geologists are selected as reviewers that's fine but a note to them: "remember, those caches that you are reviewing where not developed by geologists so don't read them as you would a PhD dissertation!

In other words, accuracy is important and should always strived for but keep the red pencil dull and not sharpened to a fine point! Don't treat geocachers like freshmen taking geology 101. No one appreciates volunteer reviewers on Groundspeak more than I but even some of them let their egos get in the way. Please don't let that happen here. Thanks. :laughing:

Wise words. I agree with you.

This is absolutely an option for us, and we are working with Groundspeak to get a process underway.

If you’re looking for a volunteer in SW PA [uSA] I would like to discuss this option when it becomes available.

There finally seems to be a growing interest here in EC's. I’ve offered to help those who are interested in setting up ECs.

Geo Walker

I suspect that when Groundspeak and the Geological Society of America agree on the need and process of adding additional EarthCache reviewers it will most likely follow the established method.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Personally, I hope that Groundspeak doesn't have anything to do with it.

I would rather trust GSA! There are too many differences in how the other reviewers (Groundspeak) interpret the so-called "guidelines". While GSA is tougher, they are far more consistant.

Beside that, GSA doesn't pull the rug out from under geocachers with 180 degree reversals of their guidelines. GSA yes, Groundspeak no! :rolleyes:

I suspect that when Groundspeak and the Geological Society of America agree on the need and process of adding additional EarthCache reviewers it will most likely follow the established method.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Personally, I hope that Groundspeak doesn't have anything to do with it.

I would rather trust GSA! There are too many differences in how the other reviewers (Groundspeak) interpret the so-called "guidelines". While GSA is tougher, they are far more consistant.

Beside that, GSA doesn't pull the rug out from under geocachers with 180 degree reversals of their guidelines. GSA yes, Groundspeak no! ;)

I don't think the regular reveiwers for froundspeak would know enough to be able to review a earthcache unless they know there geology. :)