Really thick question about TB's

Hi

We want to log our personal milage and have a TB that we have dipped in and out of caches. We got home today having dipped all over the place and OH then says "have you activated it", "NO" replies I. So off I go to activate it.

Is there anyway that I can edit to show where my little TB has been or do I have to start it fresh tomorrow (or when we next get out)?

Sorry to be so dense but its been a long day out and about on the old Alchemy Quest series.

Thanks in advance, we may have 109 finds but we are still pretty new at this.

You can dip your freshly activated TB in and out of the caches you've visited today by selecting a 'write note' log, rather than the 'found it' log. This will keep your number of finds accurate.

Just go to each cache and write a note saying "dipping our personal TB through the cache" or whatever, then highlight the name of your TB (which should show up in the TB box near the bottom), then 'Submit log entry'. This drops your TB into the cache. Then go back to the cache page, refresh it so that your TB appears in the Inventory of the cache page*, and you can then go through the procedure to retrieve your TB out of that cache.

*I've noticed that sometimes when the site is busy it may take a few minutes for the hamsters in their wheel to catch up on the logs flying through the ether. This means that occasionally it can take a few minutes for your logs/actions to take effect.

MrsB :blink:

Could someone explain what DIPPING is and why would you do it.

Thanks

Me too pls...... and what a TB is???

Sorry i am very new at this and have had a look around but nothing seems to explain it all, if anyone can point me to somewhere that dose that would be grate, but i havent yet seem to have found it and not finding the web site most user friendly.

Ta.

A TB is a travel bug. It can be any small item which an owner tags with a uniquely numbered travel bug tag so that it can travel around from cache to cache and its journey gets logged on its own home page. Here's an example of one of our travel bugs: Officer Dibble is trying to make his way to another geocacher in America.

A geocoin is another sort of trackable item which works in the same way.

Some cachers use one of their TBs or a geocoins to clock up the mileage and the visits they make when geocaching. This means that they always keep the trackable item themselves (as opposed to putting it into a cache to travel freely) but they log it into each cache they find, then log it back out again into their account. This is called "dipping". In this way it appears only briefly on the inventory of each cache listing, so other cachers are unlikely to 'see' it on the cache page.

More information can be found here: Groundspeak Knowledge base: trackable items.

MrsB :o

Edited by The Blorenges

I also suggest that you delete your "dipping" log afterwards. The trackable will still show as having passed through the cache, but it keeps the cache logs relevant.

How would we do that. Would we just go back in to the logs and edit log then delete?

No... If you didn't drop a T/B with your original log then editing it doesn't give you the option to drop a T/B subsequently. You'll have to log the cache again with a NOTE (not another 'Found It' log) and drop the T/B then.