Using a GPS

FaithCacher22

I just got my gps off craigslist, it's a garmin etrex legend. I know it may not be the best out there, but I'm a total newbie, I've not even been yet (though DYING to go!). I figured, if anything, just having one is better than not at all!

So, how do I go about using it? I mean, am I able to put caches and all that kind of stuff into it? Or do you have to be a premier member? And if I can, then how do I do that stuff?? Otherwise, I'm guessing I will just have to write down coordinates and info for each cache I want to hunt for the day, and put them each in as I go?

:mellow:

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Oh another question I had, I'll just throw it in here....

ETA - Do baby food jars make good containers for chaches? I have lots of them, so I could use a couple when they are empty...eventually, when I want to hide some. What about those smallish coolers that have drinking spouts on the top?? There are a couple at the thrift store for cheap, and you know they wouldn't leak...anyone use them?

Edited by MuchFaith22

I'll address the containers first.....

Baby food jars might seem like a good idea but glass never makes for a good cache - just too easily broken and then it is a hazard. Second - the lids do not reseal in a completely water tight fashion.

Garmin Legend.....

Yes you can download caches into it via the computer. If you have the computer cable that it originally came with and if you have a serial port on your PC. I recommend EasyGPS for this task. Downloading caches is easy enough from the search pages just put a chackmark next to the caches you want on any page and then download at the bottom.

To enter coordinates on that unit - "mark" your current postiion and then use the click stick to edit that point to where you want to go.

Hello,

I am not too familiar with the legend but I have a 60csx and venture cx. I have a usb chord that I connect to the computer and download coordinates. I believe your GPSr utilizes a serial cable. You will need to get a serial to usb adapter to use with your computer unless you have an older computer that has a serial port. Otherwise you will have to enter the coordinates in by hand.

I am not sure about baby jars as containers. I have never seen one. In fact, I have never seen a glass container. I have seen a few of the water bottles, but the ones without the spout. I use the lock-n-lock Tupperware for most of ny caches. They seem to be very durable and water resistant.

You can download caches directly to the Legend. It has a serial port, so unless your PC is an older one with a serial port, you'll need a USB to serial adapter. You'll also need the cable for the unit. It was sold new with a data cable so hopefully the seller included it when he sold it to you. If not you can find them online.

Buying both of these from Garmin will cost you probably as much as you paid for the unit (about $60), but if you search online and Ebay you can often find them cheaper. A few months ago I saw a USB cable for the old eTrex units for $15 on Ebay. I don't know whether it works, but the seller did say it has a money back guarantee.

Of course you can always input the coords individually into your unit. Just mark a waypoint and edit the coordinates to match those of the cache. You can input in a days worth of coordinates in about 15 minutes.

Also check the Garmin site and make sure your Legend has the latest firmware. If you have the cable you can load it to your unit.

Is it just a regular Etrex Legend? Just curious, because I have the Legend HCx and mine has a USB cord as well. If you do need a serial plug, unless you've just bought a computer in the last year (maybe even less than that) you should have a serial port.

And like someone else said, download easygps. Go to the cache page, click "download gpx file" (this is how mine works anyway), then open Easygps, click open, then find the file you downloaded and open it into easygps. Then, right click it, and click send to gps. It won't give you a confirmation, but it'll be on there.

Okay...well, I didn't get the cable or anything with the unit, so I might look into getting one. And I'll need the adapter, cause I just got my laptop this month (and it's a MAC, does that matter? I'm not a techie and don't know much about the differences between PC and mac, but I noticed everyone say PC).

Thanks for the replies!! :blink:

Okay...well, I didn't get the cable or anything with the unit, so I might look into getting one. And I'll need the adapter, cause I just got my laptop this month (and it's a MAC, does that matter? I'm not a techie and don't know much about the differences between PC and mac, but I noticed everyone say PC).

For OSX, you will want a Keyspan adapter and a serial cable for the eTrex such as a PFranc:

http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-Speed-Serial...S/dp/B0000VYJRY

http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml

There are applications out there for the Mac, to work with caching, you just need to search for them!

Try searching on these forums, much has been discussed...

Is yours a newer Intel chipped Mac?

May be worth getting a virtual PC app, so you can run GSAK at a future date.

I have NO idea. :blink: I just got it, and it's the new 13.3 aluminum macbook.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them all out!

One reason why it's good to check here first for advice. Unless you got your Legend for under $50, you could have purchased a Venture HC which is a unit with the latest in chip technology, 3 times the map memory and

a color display, for what it might cost for a used Legend plus the necessary cables.

Ask they guy you bought it from if he has the cable. That might save you a bit. Or check Ebay. I see an eTrex/Geko USB cable there for $8.99 right now. No need for a USB adapter. Not a bad deal.

Edited by briansnat

OK, one more time...

For OSX, you will want a Keyspan adapter and a serial cable for the eTrex such as a PFranc:

http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-Speed-Serial...S/dp/B0000VYJRY

http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml

the cheap ebay juck may or may not work on a pc, but if you want it to work on a Mac, take your advice from someone who has been down that road before...

Thanks!!

I can't be a lot of help because I have Vista, but I do have a etrex legend. Blue, Right? It's not the best but it has never let me down. As for the cable's. Mine came with the computer link but I had to buy a USP adaptor on ebay when I upgrade the Computer. $5 and worked great. Also bought a car adaptor so I can save the batteries when driving. Again Ebay for around $5 and works great. It's cool to be able to drive with it on and see the cache's on the screen. You have multiple screens you can use on the unit. At first I just wrote down all the coords and used the screen that shows the coords. Yes loading them from the computer is easier. You can also load them by hand but that gets real old fast. Just go to the main screen, and select point? then you can load up caches by hand.