3-axis electronic compass: elusive requirment or overkill?

Came 'that close' to ordering either the 76CSx or the Oregon 300 tonight. Was leaning toward the 300 as I was under the impression it's EC was of the 3-axis type. Then I dug deeper and discovered that its really only a 2-axis design. A quick Goog of '3-axis electronic compass'>'cache' showed that apparently Magellan and Lowrance are the only ones to include 3-axis ECs in their portable/trail GPSrs.

Why is this? Why does Garmin appear to shy away from it? Just my take on it, of course, but it would seem to me that being able to take a reading on the fly without having to hold the darn thing level would be a no-brainer. Am I over-thinking this..? Picking nits..? What am I missing?

tnx!

tv

With the newer units with the high sensitivity receivers it really isn't an issue with the Garmins. Yeah you have to hold it level, but for the most part it's actually the natural position you hold the unit anyway while using it.

There was an issue with some older Garmin units like the old 60CS and 76CS and 76S that would get best reception under heavy tree cover if you held them vertically, but for the compass to work they had to be held horizontally.

I have a 3 axis compass in my DeLorme and I see little advantage over the one in my 60CSX,

Moving to the appropriate forum

I have a Triton 2000 (Magellan) which has a 3-axis electronic compass. Went out with a friend a couple of weeks ago to help him lay out an 8 stage multi in the forest. Had to navigate through thick forest over 1200 m to get to a particular spot and using the EC got us right to the spot. Was able to do this even when holding the gps at a 45 degree angle.

Some live by their compass, others can live without it. After my recent experience, I now live by it, but to each their own.

Have two-axis on my Colorado, 3-axis on my PN-40. Other than the added convenience of not having to hold the unit level, no particular advantage to 3-axis. On the down-side, the calibration dance is more complicated for a 3-axis.

One good thing about the PN-40 implementation (although not specific to 3-axis) is that it tells me when it has some reason to believe the compass is inaccurate. The Colorado does not -- even when the problem is that I am not holding the unit sufficiently flat. This wasn't a problem until I started using both units -- now I forget to hold the CO flat :)

With the newer units with the high sensitivity receivers it really isn't an issue with the Garmins. Yeah you have to hold it level, but for the most part it's actually the natural position you hold the unit anyway while using it.

There was an issue with some older Garmin units like the old 60CS and 76CS and 76S that would get best reception under heavy tree cover if you held them vertically, but for the compass to work they had to be held horizontally.

I have a 3 axis compass in my DeLorme and I see little advantage over the one in my 60CSX,

Moving to the appropriate forum

It may be natural to hold it flat for satellite signal acquisition on GPS units with patch antennaes, holding the 3-axis compass up while viewing past the compass for alignment is more natural than trying to follow a straight line from looking down to looking up for the alignment to the object of desire. Also, you don't have to worry about bobbling the bubble which allows more attention on the direction than on the leveling of the compass.

Edited by TotemLake

Why doesn't Garmin spend a few more bucks for the 3-axis compass chip? Good question.

I've been using my 76CSx in a marine mount on my kayak with the unit tilted up 45 deg. so I can easily view the display. The 2-axis compass doesn't work in this attitude and it's frustrating not having the "track up" responding like it should. I've resorted to lowering the speed at which the compass determines the track direction to 1 mph, so most of the time I'm traveling fast enough for the GPS signals to determine the track direction. Sometimes this results in "loose bearings" issues, but I can live with them. I haven't taken my Oregon 400T on the kayak yet, but it will suffer the same issues.

Geokitebuggy makes a good point. If you use the unit primarily for hiking, it won't matter. But if you use it in a mount on a low-speed vehicle, then 3-axis has an advantage.

Not sure, but I don't think the cross-over speed is adjustable on the OR.

I've used it both in a mount and on hiking and prefer the 3D over the 2D in hiking as well. I don't have to stop to level it to read. A quick glance while walking and I'm good. That's the major advantage to 3D compasses. The Magellan's 3D didn't stop working at over 1MPH, but even still, with the PN-40, I sometimes am walking less than 1MPH and it is handy to be able to glance while moving.

Heads up is good for more than being in a car. :ph34r:

Garmin, why no 3-axis? Very good question. I’d be willing to pay $100 US extra for one. That’s how much I value 3-axis over 2-axis. 2-axis electronic compass is worthless to me. All of mine are turned off. Why does Garmin think it’s important enough to put a digital camera in the Oregon 500? Forget the digital camera; give me a 3-axis electronic compass.