Mystery caches?

sandrats

Are there any viewable examples or written suggestions of how to approach solving a mystery cache? We'd like to do this, but the ? caches in our area have only 4 #s as their "long description" and we just can't fathom how to interpret this info... and then apply any possible thoughts! (eg see GC181W4 and/or GC181W0) :D

The thing about mystery and puzzle caches it there is no way to tell you how to solve one because there are nearly as many different puzzles as there are puzzle caches. Some are as simple as solving a Sudukou puzzle, while others involve serious cryptography. For some you may have to interpret a photo, some require knowledge of history, or literature, or art, you name it. There are many thousands of different kinds of puzzles out there and nearly any one can be used for a geocache. So nobody can tell you "do this" and you'll be able to solve them.

Many of these puzzles take brains and imagination to solve. I have neither so I just put them on my ignore list. Not every cache has to be found.

Edited by briansnat

It might be better to contact one of the previous finders or even the owner for a head start on the puzzle caches. Like Brian, I'll look at them and if the resolution doesn't come right away, they usually end up on the 'I' list. As far as discussing the resolution to a particular cache in an open forum like this, this is somewhat frowned upon.

It might be better to contact one of the previous finders or even the owner for a head start on the puzzle caches. Like Brian, I'll look at them and if the resolution doesn't come right away, they usually end up on the 'I' list. As far as discussing the resolution to a particular cache in an open forum like this, this is somewhat frowned upon.

Oh, I didn't know the :D 'd-upon part! But, hey, we (sandrats) are not about the #s ... and have no particular need to find any given cache. I thought about contacting the cache owners ... and certainly may end up doing so ... but first I thought there might even be some mock-up type examples just to get one thinking in the right way ..... but, yes please do take a peek at those if you would ... I'm not asking for answers, just some approaches to thinking about such things. The double part is what to do with any ideas/guesses ... eg, do they relate AT ALL to the coordinates? Even if you've done a couple nowherenearme ... I could look at them and then maybe you could tell me about them???? Pretty please.

I can't help you with the cache itself. Even if I was able to solve it I couldn't tell you here. I see that they have at least a hundred of the exact same theme so I think once you have the key, you'll be off and running. The series seems to be a hit with a particular handful of cachers so contacting one of them might be better than asking for the help here. Good luck with them and sorry I couldn't help you with the solutions.

I can't help you with the cache itself. Even if I was able to solve it I couldn't tell you here. I see that they have at least a hundred of the exact same theme so I think once you have the key, you'll be off and running. The series seems to be a hit with a particular handful of cachers so contacting one of them might be better than asking for the help here. Good luck with them and sorry I couldn't help you with the solutions.

Okay then .... thanks! Again .. I want to STRESS that I wasn't asking for any ANSWERS.

This isn't the specific one I was looking for but this should help

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ef-901807ba9c98

I'll try to find the other one.

Hey Buggheart! I'm not sure if the OP is still around, but I'm a puzzle idiot and I've bookmarked the link you've put up so far. It's still probably over my head, but I'll check it out in the morning after I've had some rest. Maybe I'll actually surprise myself and learn something. I'll find out tomorrow if there's any hope for me. Thanks for the information and happy caching!!! :D

Edited by Michigan Cacheman
Are there any viewable examples or written suggestions of how to approach solving a mystery cache? We'd like to do this, but the ? caches in our area have only 4 #s as their "long description" and we just can't fathom how to interpret this info... and then apply any possible thoughts! (eg see GC181W4 and/or GC181W0) :D
Start by writing down what you know. For example, since the final for mystery caches have to be within 2 miles of the posted coords you already know the degrees and the first digit of the minutes. A lot of puzzles make you solve for numbers that you already know. So you can often look for patterns and then reverse solve these to come up with a way to get the numbers you already know. Then you can apply that to get the rest of the numbers.

Many puzzles make you do research on Google to find the answers. I don't really like these because they seem like busy work to me.

Hi Buggheart! Thanks for the 2nd link. Instead of studying the other link today that you provided I went caching. So I've also bookmarked this one also to hopefully educate me some. I've never been one to be into brain teezers, but nowdays being on pain meds all the time sure doesn't help a bit. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the OP will come back and see all the great info you provided. Thank you and happy caching!!!! <_<

Hi Buggheart! Thanks for the 2nd link. Instead of studying the other link today that you provided I went caching. So I've also bookmarked this one also to hopefully educate me some. I've never been one to be into brain teezers, but nowdays being on pain meds all the time sure doesn't help a bit. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the OP will come back and see all the great info you provided. Thank you and happy caching!!!! :laughing:

You are most welcome. <_< I hope the links help.

Thank you vvm, Buggheart! I haven't yet followed the threads, but wanted to dash this off to express my appreciation. Glad to see that Michigan Cacheman may also add another dimension to his caching fun, too. Appreciate the "heads up" to get back for another look! I appreciate Trailgators suggestion too ... everyone's really ... esp now that I feel less mis-under-stood (isn't that a song somewhere? :rolleyes: )

Are there any viewable examples or written suggestions of how to approach solving a mystery cache? We'd like to do this, but the ? caches in our area have only 4 #s as their "long description" and we just can't fathom how to interpret this info... and then apply any possible thoughts! (eg see GC181W4 and/or GC181W0) :rolleyes:
Start by writing down what you know. For example, since the final for mystery caches have to be within 2 miles of the posted coords you already know the degrees and the first digit of the minutes. A lot of puzzles make you solve for numbers that you already know. So you can often look for patterns and then reverse solve these to come up with a way to get the numbers you already know. Then you can apply that to get the rest of the numbers.

Many puzzles make you do research on Google to find the answers. I don't really like these because they seem like busy work to me.

Personally, if I am going to have to solve a puzzle to get the final coordinates I'd rather do that busy work (sometimes it can be pretty educational as well) at home rather than out in the field. For me, I'd rather spend the limited time I have out in the field actually seeking and finding geocaches rather than solving puzzles.

Making note of what you know, and sometimes what you think you know, helps a lot when solving puzzles. When solving for missing digits in coordinates it can sometimes be pretty obvious what numbers need to be used based on the probably area where the cache is located. I *think* I have a puzzle cache solved that's in Rome that is supposed to require you to visit four locations, obtaining one digit for the coordinate at each. Using the internet I was able to figure out two of them, then using Google earth I was able to check out where the cache might be located with a few other guesses. I'm pretty sure I have the final coordinates but the cache listing doesn't have a coordinate checker so I won't know for sure until next Sunday when I search for the cache. Even if I'm wrong, it's still going to take me to a historical place in Rome I haven't visited yet.