Question about a Stereogram cache puzzle

jimsimm

You know those Stereograms, also called Magic Eyes where you have to look at a pattern with unfocused eyes to make a 3-D picture appear? I've seen some caches posted on here that have part of the coordinates in the stereogram. I'm making one like this for a multi-cache and the stereogram picture will be in the first stage, giving a portion of the coords for the second stage.

My question is: in my posting of the geocache online should I say that there is a stereogram at the first stage or can I leave that detail out? I'm just thinking that someone that KNOWS they can't ever see stereograms might be disappointed, but on the other hand, it's a neat surprise, isn't it?

What do you think?

I have a disability where I cannot see those puzzles. Honestly, I would be a little upset that I wasted gas and time traveling to a cache I would have no hope of ever finding. I have been to multi's where there are puzzles to conquer but this is a little different as some people may not be able to "see" the puzzle.

The multi is a good idea, but just a note on the web page as an FYI would be much appreciated in my book. :unsure: That way I would drag a friend along to give me a hand.

You know those Stereograms, also called Magic Eyes where you have to look at a pattern with unfocused eyes to make a 3-D picture appear? I've seen some caches posted on here that have part of the coordinates in the stereogram. I'm making one like this for a multi-cache and the stereogram picture will be in the first stage, giving a portion of the coords for the second stage.

My question is: in my posting of the geocache online should I say that there is a stereogram at the first stage or can I leave that detail out? I'm just thinking that someone that KNOWS they can't ever see stereograms might be disappointed, but on the other hand, it's a neat surprise, isn't it?

What do you think?

I would not be able to do your cache and would definitely appreciate that knowledge before trying.

There's one near my house. I can't do them anymore apparently (I could 10-15 years ago) because of astigmatism or whatever. So I posted it on another message board (non-caching) that I frequent. Got the answer in no time. If someone really wants to solve it, they will.

Its really not that much different than having a puzzle cache with a complicated mathematical function for decryption.

i once had a lovely little cache called "cryptordeal". one stage contained a little string of cute little nautical flags. that means most finders would have to copy down some info and make another trip.

the first finder brought reference books with him, but other people were out of luck.

if you wish to create a challenge in which many people will have to make a second trip, that's up to you. just be sure to rate it properly.

if you wish for them to be able to find it the first time, you should put the stereogram (or at least a warning that there will be one) on the cache page.

i once had a lovely little cache called "cryptordeal". one stage contained a little string of cute little nautical flags. that means most finders would have to copy down some info and make another trip.

the first finder brought reference books with him, but other people were out of luck.

It's all up to how you chose to do it. Although not necessary, I would have hidden a "reference guide" for the flags, so people could have the info they needed available.... providing they found the chart.

It's all up to how you chose to do it. Although not necessary, I would have hidden a "reference guide" for the flags, so people could have the info they needed available.... providing they found the chart.

well, it was rated appropriately to reflect the potential need for multiple trips.

there were seven stages, all with different codes or ciphers. one was drawings of little semaphore guys. leaving a reference guide would have spoiled the effect of making it a very hard puzzle. after all i did title it "cryptordeal" rather than "walk in the park with some things you can look up while you're here".

my point was that the rating gave people some idea that it wasn't going to be a one-stop.

this was kind of back-in-the-day, but i believe it was the first cache in my state where the description was encrypted. if you could solve the cryptogram, you got to move on the the first stage, which was a container with another cipher in it. for the most part because each was a different method, and finders had to make multiple trips.

if you rate your cache correctly, there ought to be no problem.

I have a cache that starts with a stereogram that is posted on the cache page. You have to "see" the numbers to find the first stage of the cache. That way, people don't have to solve it in the field and I don't have to maintain it if someone walks off with it, it gets wet, fades, etc.

But if you say clearly on the cache page that a stereogram will need to be read in the field, people who actually read cache pages in advance will know and those that have trouble with them will have been warned.

one more thought:

if you still wish to include the stereogram on a second or third stage, you may wish to provide copies that can be taken so that people who cannot see these things can at least bring a copy out with them.

otherwise, they don't have the opportunity to get it even on a second visit unless they bring a person who does see these things.

if you still don't want to move it to the listing page and you still don't want to give up the surprise, at least try to rate the cache to reflect the possibility that it's going to be impossible for some.

when i attempt a cache and have to give up because i'm unprepared for an intermediary stage, i put it in the "some other day" column. if i get there and have invested my time and energy only to discover that i'm NEVER going to be prepared, i'd prefer to have known that up front.

Okay, okay, I get it: a lot of people can't see the stereograms! I will definitely warn you about it on the cache page and I like the idea about adding extra copies in case anyone needs to take it home. I'll do that too. I just didn't realize THAT many people can't see them. I wear contacts with a pretty strong prescription, I have a slight astigmatism but I can see stereograms in about 3 seconds, so I thought only very few can't see them. I may even consider hiding something else nearby that's harder to find, but offers the coordinates so one can try either way. Thanks for the good ideas.