Colorado or Oregon owners?

pklong911

I bought the Colorado, before the Oregon came out, so I wouldn't have to have a PDA as well for paperless caching. The problem I have with it is finding caches in the woods. It just doesn't seem to hold a position long enough to find the cache. It wanders all over the place and I mean several hundred feet all over the place. I've taken to carrying my 60c when I am in the woods.

If you're down for some serious geocaching, get a 60csx. Most Colorado and Oregon owners will agree. :)

Thought about that, but I like paperless function and less buttons for the kids :D

I totally agree. Unfortunately, you get the paperless function at the expense of some critical GPS functions - accuracy and keeping locked on sats being top of mind. I cache with people who have Colorados and have been able to compare accuracy time and time again. The 60csx wins every time. Okay, I'm done.

I have to say my experience has been different.

The Colorado is no less accurate than the 60Csx.

True the 60Csx was much faster acquiring sats, but I am being more sucessuful finding caches with the Colorado than I did with the 60csx.

And being able to see all the caches on the map is another huge plus. :)

I have a Colorado 300 and I love it, what I do not love is Garmin's lack of knowledge on their own unit. I once input a bunch of coin codes into the "write note" section after logging the cache as "found" on the GPS. When I got home I didn't how to get the codes back out. Called Garmin, and they didn't know how to do it either. They called me back about 20 minutes after I had figured it out on my own.

I also do caching with friends who have the 60 CSX. Somedays they have better accuracy, some days I have better accuracy. The only thing that is hard with a new GPS is being able to have your fingers "memorize" which buttons to hit to do functions without actually looking at the unit. This is a little bit harder to do with a wheel.

I too like paperless caching, it is hard enough to hold on to 2 kids and loose pieces of paper that they always tear into shreds.

Good luck with your decision.

When the 60csx first came out it had a variety of bugs, just as the Oregon does now. I own a 60cx and an Oregon 400t. Currently my feeling is that the Oregon rules in convience and coolness. Paperless with the oregon is great! On the other hand I feel the 60cx is the more serious unit with some options that the Oregon left out, and currently more accurate as well. Firmware/software fixes are sure to come to improve the Oregon in some of these areas. Right now I am mostly using the Oregon and it is good enough for cacheing and in some aspects a joy to use. But when I want to map a trail or check the tides I turn to the 60cx. Probably the best overall unit Garmin has ever made! The Oregon being the most convienent.

The Colorado's accuracy has gotten better with new firmware. But its user interface can be cumbersome.

The Oregon design used a cheaper antenna and processing chip, so the accuracy cannot be improved in firmware.

I carry a 60CSx and a separate Palm PDA to run Cachemate. The Palm is also my cell phone, so my gadget count stays low.

Okay...couple more comments. I just spent the day out with a Colorado owner and discussed this thread. He noted that the Colorado also can't average coordinates like the 60csx. But most annoyingly, on the Colorado, once you're routing to a cache you can't change to other functions without stopping the routing. The 60csx keeps routing no matter what other screen you switch to. Okay...NOW I'm done.

Okay...couple more comments. I just spent the day out with a Colorado owner and discussed this thread. He noted that the Colorado also can't average coordinates like the 60csx. But most annoyingly, on the Colorado, once you're routing to a cache you can't change to other functions without stopping the routing. The 60csx keeps routing no matter what other screen you switch to. Okay...NOW I'm done.

Also you can't edit the coords on a cache, so on a multi you have to make a new waypoint.

Get the Oregon. Why buy outdated technology? Unless cost is the major factor. Been around all three. Really no difference in accuracy. All good. But the paperless on the Oregon and the touchscreen makes all the difference. A couple taps on the screen and I'm reading the cache page. As my friend was dragging out his pda etc. I ended up reading it as he was too slow.

I followed the GPS forum and watched as the new tritons came out and all the buzz over them then they faded in posts as the colorado took the spotlight. Then that faded out and the Oregon took over. Then nearly all the bugs got worked out of it and there are hardly any new threads on it covering anything new.

Any of the three will work.

I just got a new oregon a few weeks ago and love it. it has done me very well for almost 100 caches found since I got it. I love being able to see on the map the type of cache it is and then looking at the wright up on it. as for accuracy i havnt seen that much of a differance from my friends colorado. but she loves the touch screen and will be upgading to the oregon soon. also I love being able to log a find in the oregon on the touch screen and us the field note function to upload it to my profile. get the oregon and dont look back.