Lets try this again... New Oregon Owner

ark_fireman

Tried twice to post this topic and kept "timing out". I finally bit the bullet last night and bought a 400t. So far i'm pretty impressed with it, very easy to set up and i'm gonna love the paperless caching!! My only concern is with the accuracy. It hasnt registered lower than 20 (yes, WAAS is enabled) I did a side by side with my eTrex Vista HCx and it showed 9-10 while the Oregon was at 25-26. Any ideas or possible remedies? I also cant figure out how to delete caches but havent really monkied with it much. I could also use some advice on how to delete my other posts that show blanks. Thanks in advance, John

1. You can't delete geocaches from the unit, when you find or DNF or do not attempt you mark them as such, which is then reflected in your Field Notes file you upload to gc.com. Marking them as found removes the cache from the geocache list. The caches will also be gone when you over write the gpx on the unit.

This site, http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/ , has become a MUST for Oregon users. Take a look there. Make sure you get associated with the "profiles"..this is one of the killer uses of this unit, making it all flow smoothly and people overlook how useful they are.

Accuracy... hard to know. Are you receiving WAAS signals? What firmware version are you using?

Waas works fine, but not everywhere on the world is waas available.

You MUST update to software 2,86 Beta, to much problems with 2.80

See http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions#toc12

After reading scroll up and find the 2.86 download

Connect Gps to computer, let Oregon go in Mass storage, 2 x click on downloaded file

When finished, disconnect and push On you see a blue bar on the screen, after that you're finished.

Edited by splashy

If you are not relying on your tracklog for back-tracking, then 2.86 is fine. I'm not so sure that any of the previous firmware versions have accurate tracklogs. The coordinates with 2.86 are fine and stable, meaning they don't change when the unit is stationary. At least that what mine does with 2.86.

JetSkier

Ok thanks, seems to be doing better, accuracy of unit in the 16 range in good clear conditions. What kind of accuracy should this unit be getting? Like I said earlier my Vista would go as low as 9 and I could expect no worse than 15 in any weather conditions.

I got my Oregon with software v2.80 and have had each newer [beta] release on it. I regularly see accuracies in the 8-16 feet range with or without WAAS. I don't recall ever seeing that number lower than 8 feet with any of my GPSr's in the past (60CSx, Colorado 300, and now Oregon 400t). I have since heard from the new owner of my old 60CSx that she has seen accuracies in the 4-7 feet range a couple times.