iPhone can't tell East from West

AmblingFree

Hi,

Has anybody else had this problem with the iPhone - you can save a cache and when you try to navigate to it it tries to go to the right longitude but East instead of West. I've done some testing and it seems to be only for caches between 0 degrees and 1 degree West (about Reading). I've logged it as a ticket - (GEO #OPY-183316) but it would be good if anybody else has the problem they could log it too. I've got the latest version of the geocaching software

specifically (examples)

show E instead of W on the navigate page after I have saved them:

GC1HWDW

GCJR1K

GCNPKC

GC1BQ21

GC1DEJ0

show E or W correctly

GC1HWE9

GC1ABBA

GCMNPA

GC1H19E

GCRNT2

I would be interested to hear anybody else's experience either positive or negative.

Thanks

AmblingFree

Just tried it on mine here in Bristol and it does the same thing.

Pretty certain that mine is not a Grey Import though - if it is O2 will have to do some explaining !

Slightly strange in that it only does it when you have saved it, then gone to the saved items list.

Linsey.

Edited by Linsey & Lorraine

I have exactly the same problem. It only happens when navigating to a saved waypoint.

Yes - I am holding it the right way up.

Also the iPhone application seems the use the initial inaccurate location fix for listing nearby caches (from the GSM cell location which may be several miles away). It returns you the list of caches near that location consistently even after getting a GPS fix.

Hi,

Has anybody else had this problem with the iPhone - you can save a cache and when you try to navigate to it it tries to go to the right longitude but East instead of West. I've done some testing and it seems to be only for caches between 0 degrees and 1 degree West (about Reading). I've logged it as a ticket - (GEO #OPY-183316) but it would be good if anybody else has the problem they could log it too. I've got the latest version of the geocaching software

specifically (examples)

show E instead of W on the navigate page after I have saved them:

GC1HWDW

GCJR1K

GCNPKC

GC1BQ21

GC1DEJ0

show E or W correctly

GC1HWE9

GC1ABBA

GCMNPA

GC1H19E

GCRNT2

I would be interested to hear anybody else's experience either positive or negative.

Thanks

AmblingFree

I've not noticed, but as I only have the iPod Touch, i only really use it for the description, hint and field notes.

If you want this to be seen by TPTB I suggest you either post a new thread in the Geocaching.com Website forum or ask a passing mod to move this thread to the relevant place. As far as I know the people that count won't be browsing this forum.

It's not only iPhone related. I've seen it with caches close to the meridian as well: go to "Nearest caches", and the cache itself will not be on the list itself. Sounds like some strange kind of distance calculation that goes wrong near that line. Haven't checked it near the equator, but you might expect the same behaviour.